new laptops no longer have removable batteries?

People don't swap batteries much these days. They only make sense with external charger anyways. These days with many new laptops people either get an extra power brick or use USB-C to charge, so they just plug it in as soon as it land near a monitor.

Now the soldered on DDR, that's a sin and I won't buy a laptop with the DDR soldered on.

As said, Apple has been doing it since ~2008(with the first MBA, and pretty much everything there by 2009), and despite all the flack it let them-at the time-make a thinner, lighter computer with a higher capacity battery and it can be better "sculpted" to allow for more efficient cooling.

Unfortunately, Apple went a bit too wild IMO. The first "permanent" batteries were still held in with screws and were easily accessible. The Retina MBPs started using glued in "tiered" batteries to let the computer be even smaller, and those are a nightmare to replace.

It's worth mentioning, though, that batteries are better now than they've ever been. I've not seen specific specs on other makers, but Apple use to guarantee 80% design capacity for 300 charge cycles. Now it's 80% design capacity for 1000 thousand cycles/3 years.

Unfortunately, Apple went a bit too wild IMO. The first "permanent" batteries were still held in with screws and were easily accessible. The Retina MBPs started using glued in "tiered" batteries to let the computer be even smaller, and those are a nightmare to replace.

I think the Chinese sellers are good to include all the things as a kit to replace them. I remember back then in the factories some engineers complain to me that the new tablets / phones design have glue on batteries and it would be a rework and warranty nightmare. The Chinese aftermarket figure out that they can include a "kit" to let you replace them yourself still. This is no longer an issue.

Now the memory upgrade, if someone has a machine in different regions of US and let you ship yours in for "upgrade" for cheap, that'll still be ok. I don't think it is that practical however. The only way it would work is for 3rd party to refurbish lease retired laptop with upgrades, then sell them as CPO with a warranty.

I think the Chinese sellers are good to include all the things as a kit to replace them. I remember back then in the factories some engineers complain to me that the new tablets / phones design have glue on batteries and it would be a rework and warranty nightmare. The Chinese aftermarket figure out that they can include a "kit" to let you replace them yourself still. This is no longer an issue.

Now the memory upgrade, if someone has a machine in different regions of US and let you ship yours in for "upgrade" for cheap, that'll still be ok. I don't think it is that practical however. The only way it would work is for 3rd party to refurbish lease retired laptop with upgrades, then sell them as CPO with a warranty.

For Apple batteries, there's only one aftermarket supplier I trust-NewerTech. They're good about supplying everything too, whether it's just a special screwdriver(some Apple laptops have tri-lobes holding the battery in, and others pentalobe holding the bottom case on).

The glued ones, though, are a whole other level of difficulty. If you take one to an Apple store or authorized independent shop, they can't even order just a battery from Apple. They sell you a complete top case(aluminum housing with keyboard, trackpad, and battery) and you transplant the scren and logic board from the customer's computer. The top cases then get sent back to a centralized facility for battery replacement(and other repairs needed along the way).

I would never buy a laptop that doesn't have a replaceable battery. Technology going backwards if the battery can't be replaced.

yes, ofc, laptop and smartphone nowadays can be said all the batteries using non-removable. i think this case is to ensure that the customer will change and update frequently their technology. but in order to ensure the capabilities of the batteries last longer as it is, they put some kind of technology in the software to maximize the battery lifespan. for example in lenovo laptop, they have program to use conservation mode, it is actually let the battery charge to 55-60% maximum. so to reach at least 500 cycles they will go there at least in 2 years.

i experience using this lenovo, the battery has 500 usage cycles. in 1 year i only reach 20 cycles. so to reach 500 cycles it is quite long time. for the worst case u use the battery with 100 cycles annually, it take 5 years to rip off all the batteries. thus, the removeable now is not the big thing to worry

again, this is my sight

i have no issue with this as long as i can change it at home. Cost me $200 for Apple to change the battery in my kids Mac book.

Knock on wood, the battery in my Mac Book Pro is going strong after 7 years. Used daily, charge lasts quite a long time.

Back