New Kimber, plenty of 9mm ammo, can't leave the driveway for a few days, arrrgggghhhhh!!!

My Kimber Micro 9 showed up last Friday but as luck would have it, I missed the narrow window of opportunity to get to the range before the storm hit, so now I wait.
Thankfully, snow in this area of Zona doesn't last but three or four days. On the bright side, I had more time to relax in the shop and workup a few hundred handloads so I won't have to burn through too much of my golden factory ammo.

shop2.jpgDSC05952.JPGkimber.jpg

It was 6 degrees here this morning and already up to 27 at 11:45. Supposed to reach 38 today and get higher through the end of the week. Another storm coming on Friday but will probably be a mix of snow and rain so I'm hoping it'll be gone by the weekend.

You're in CV right? Do you shoot at Compass or one of the indoor ranges?

Nice handgun. Your new CC? I had a Kimber Compact officer size that stupidly I sold.
Howdy Jeff, yes I'm in CV. I usually shoot at the Paulden pit, but once the snow melts it's probably going to be a muddy mess for a week or so. Next best area is out Perkinsville road since the county maintains it somewhat. The Kimber is going to replace my Kahr 40 for carry. I've had a Springfield 911 380 as a backup for a while now and like it so much that I wanted one in 9mm but the buying frenzy has made them scarce as hen's teeth. Not much difference between the SA and Kimber except the internal vs external extractors.

Attachments

• micro2.jpg
    micro2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Academy had the Kimber Micro 9 for $599 a few weeks ago. I wanted something with more capacity. I still might get one later on. They look great.

My Kimber Micro 9 showed up last Friday but as luck would have it, I missed the narrow window of opportunity to get to the range before the storm hit, so now I wait.
Thankfully, snow in this area of Zona doesn't last but three or four days. On the bright side, I had more time to relax in the shop and workup a few hundred handloads so I won't have to burn through too much of my golden factory ammo.

View attachment 42855View attachment 42852View attachment 42853

Hi FF.
I really like the look of the Kimber Pistols. A friend of mine had a Kimber rifle on .204 and it was a quality piece.

I had no idea you get snow in Arizona. I imagined it hot all year around.

I noticed in another post you mentioned 'Paulden'. Is this where Jeff Copper started his 'Gunsite' ranch? I would have dearly loved to have attended one of his classes.

I find that I really have to hold those little micro 9s tight for them to function well. My winter EDC is an FN509, plenty of its own weight. I carry a G26 in the summer, pretty heavy for on 10 round capacity. I don't death grip pistols.
The Wife's EDC is a Taurus PT709 slim. It functions flawless when she shoots it, but when I shoot it, it'll fail to feed the last round if I forget to hold it tight.

I noticed in another post you mentioned 'Paulden'. Is this where Jeff Copper started his 'Gunsite' ranch? I would have dearly loved to have attended one of his classes.

Yep, that's the same Paulden. As for snow, we don't usually get too much in this area but the last few years has been surprising.

Last edited:
Finally got to the range yesterday and ran 350 rounds through the Micro. Had only three bobbles, a FTF, a FTE and one stovepipe from my reloads, but everything factory and all my hand-loaded rounds functioned 100%. To clarify, the hand-loaded rounds are all done on a single stage press using the same brand of brass separated by exact lengths so there is little to no variation in crimp. Reloads were done on my progressive press using mixed brass of varying lengths.

I'm extremely impressed with the Micro 9 and as my smallest 9mm pistol I find it no more difficult to handle than some of my larger pistols. I had to use a sub 6-oclock sight hold as every group was about 3" high at 10 yards so I'll be looking for a taller front sight before the next outing.

range.jpgrange1.jpg

Finally got to the range yesterday and ran 350 rounds through the Micro. Had only three bobbles, a FTF, a FTE and one stovepipe from my reloads, but everything factory and all my hand-loaded rounds functioned 100%. To clarify, the hand-loaded rounds are all done on a single stage press using the same brand of brass separated by exact lengths so there is little to no variation in crimp. Reloads were done on my progressive press using mixed brass of varying lengths.

I'm extremely impressed with the Micro 9 and as my smallest 9mm pistol I find it no more difficult to handle than some of my larger pistols. I had to use a sub 6-oclock sight hold as every group was about 3" high at 10 yards so I'll be looking for a taller front sight before the next outing.

View attachment 44339View attachment 44340
Wouldn't you think on a gun as expensive as a Kimber they could put a decent set of sights on it?

View attachment 42855View attachment 42852View attachment 42853
You call that a storm?

It's as much of a storm as I ever want, and the reason I chose this part of Arizona to retire in. We have just enough of the four seasons to say we've got them. Now if we can just stop the California invasion it might stay decent out here.
You know I was just teasing you. We're getting one storm after another here but just snow. We can deal with snow. Stay safe out there and good shooting.

I spent 2 weeks in Rochester one January....loved it when the morning weather guy said "not too bad today, probably around 10 inches of snow"

That would shut down Richmond for a week :ROFLMAO:

Back