New KIA Spectra

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSQ

So my gf and I are planning on buying a new car this week. Our budget is at 15k. We did our research and found that for 15k, we will be able to get a new KIA spectra EX, which comes with everything we wanted.

We took the test drive yesterday, and we are very confident that the car can be ours at 15k. Both of us really like the car and it would provide us with what he need: a everyday car for her. We are planning to return on friday and pick it up. Problem is that I am not so sure about how will this car hold up. Does anybody here owns one and can provide me with some input?

Another one of my concern is the poor resale value. How much will the gap insurance cost?

Some automakers include gap insurance if you finance through them, but I do not know about Kia, specifically.

If you can wait, the newly redesigned Elantra will be launching soon and should be a good bet.

Problem with the new Elantra is that we don't really want to buy a car that's produced in the first year of a new model. We can't stand troubles.

Try a 06 Corolla. I see the LE trim with Auto constantly advertised for $13,995. With no sales tax in OR, you should be golden for $15K or less.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Again, anybody has experience with Spectra?

as stated before the hundai and kia are called deposable cars...don't last past 50,000.. parts are extrememly hard to find and it is not worth the purchase...stay away from these brands

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
as stated before the hundai and kia are called deposable cars...don't last past 50,000.. parts are extrememly hard to find and it is not worth the purchase...stay away from these brands

That's straight up B*S.

Boxcar, while this used to be true, it is no longer. Get out of the '90s. If you ever drove one and knew owners of newer ones, you would know this. Just ask most any of the Hyundai owners here.

As for SSQ's questions, the new Spectra's are a rebadged Elantra. They are as reliable as any other car out there. Hyundai/Kia is in the top 5 for initial quality (JD Powers I think, I need find the link). The biggest issues with these vehicles is the auto tranny. You must use SP III fluid only, any other and you will trash the tranny. If your getting a manual, not a problem. Also remember, you get a 5 yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 10 yr/ 100k mile powertrain.
Yea, resale sucks on them, but it is getting better.

I'd buy a Corolla or even a Chevy Cobalt before a Kia (or Hyundai). My experience with Hyundai is that they may be decent cars but they have poor Auto trannies.

you can also get base mazda3's and mazda6's for 15k after the cash rebates. the mazda3 would get the slight nod for better reliability.

As for the KIA, it has a 10/100 warranty on it. if it doesnt hold up, its not coming out of your pocket.

Hehehee.. SSQ, you had to know you were going to get recommendations to buy anything other than what you posted! A kia will provide decent low cost transportation for you. As said, parts will be more difficult to find, the dealer network is smaller and resale or trade value is nill. If none of those is a concern to you, go for it!

G/luck
Joel

The problems with their automatic transmission, is it still true? Since my gf only drive automatic, this would be a must for us.

I am aware that the quality of these cars have improved throughout the years. Infact, one of the reason I am looking so closely at KIA is that my recent experience with Honda and Toyota told me that these two names no longer mean quality. Cobalt is out of question. It won the award of the most unreliable compacts earlier this year by a magazine (forgot which).

After the test drive, I went under the car and looked at what I can. It seem to me like that the Spectra has a very good platform and stable structure. Also, they paid a lot of attention on details especially when it comes to applying those rust-proof foams. It covered everywhere, even the shock absorbers.

But what concerns me is what can't be seen. the transmission, like what you guys said, electronics, ignition.... etc.

For my money, I'd buy a base Ford Focus. The current platform has been in production for several years - so problems should not be an issue. Parts, in general, are not as expensive as the Korean cars (and easier to find). It's one of the better, if not the best handling car in its class.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Doesn't Kia have a 10 year 100,000 mile warrantee?

Yes, from the look of the website, once the 5y/60K basic b/b warranty expires, the powertrain is covered out to 10Y/100K. The "whats covered" list looks pretty substantial. As long as you keep up on maintenance per the manual and have a kia dealership nearby, you are set for quite awhile. Lets face it, kia/hyundai is here to stay. It some areas you'll find more kia/hyundai dealerships than honda or mitsubishi. For a small economical 4dr sedan, I'd personally go with a ford focus or chevy cobalt, but that's me!
wink.gif

Joel

SSQ, don't sweat the Kia, it's fine. Go to rockauto.com and look up parts for Kias going back five years, they're all there, same for Hyundai, every model. Engines, radiators, all of it.

I dunno where box works, but it can't be terribly comprehensive..Boxcar over there has an inate, but irrational hatred of these things for some reason, but it's unfounded.

My 92 Elantra did 268K on the body, and 168K on the new motor the guy I bought it from put in because he never heard of a timing belt I had the car nine years. Traded it for a 2005 Accent GT this Febuary and there are dozens of outlets for parts out there for it. Not that I have to concern myself much for awhile, it has a bumper-bumper 100K warranty. 10 Year roadside, 5 year lockout service. These cars are fine, the factory has some pretty good support (they had a locksmith to me in the boonies one day to unlock the car in about an hour and a half) and if you intend to drive em till they're worn out, they last as long as any other. In that case, the resale value issue is moot.

Gap insurance can cost anywhere from a couple of hundred on up to the sky is the limit. It's based on an actuarial estimate and evaluation of your driving record, and also on how long they anticipate you'll be "upside down" on your loan.

Good luck!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:

Wrong.

It's fine guys, different people have their opinions. My girlfriend and I went to test drive a Suzuki Aerio SX today and end up buying it the same day. For almost the same price, the suzuki felt much better, more power, and in my opinion, has much better quality.

Again, thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back