new jug of ST oil mostly water!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is my first try at adding an image on this forum, looks like I figured that out
Today I bought this jug at Walmart and as I started to pour it in a friends pickup I thought something was funny. I blew out a couple clear washer fluid jugs and poured the oil in and wow. I found the seal and it was a piece of duct tape. Engine failure mart.
I went and bought a fresh jug, checked the seal and realized I could also see water in the view strip on the side.
I am taking these pics and my receipt back and having a talk with the manager about this. Can someone be so desparate for 14 bucks to do this and cause people like me to ruin engines. Many would have just dumped it in and the engine would have been toast in a few seconds.

V70courier
2000 v70 non turbo
330K, makes me alot of money

Last edited:
You would know if a jug's been tampered with by unscrewing the cap. They all have some-sort of plastic ring that should not be broken. I always test the cap enroute to the cash register. Learned the hard way - just like you.... at a local K-Mart. I'll bet I poured in Smitty's Synblend instead of Pennzoil Platinum. The plastic seal was broke and the foil wrap on the Platinum was missing.

I took out the drain plug and drained out the couple cups I managed to get into the engine.
The duct tape seal fooled me and I am sure it may have fooled others less observant. A prank or a money back scheme?
I am still shaking my head. This can also be spotted I think by carefully looking at the view strip on the side.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The plastic seal was broke and the foil wrap on the Platinum was missing.

Has Pennzoil ever used a foil seal? I've only used it in the last 5-6 years. You can ease the cap off without breaking the plastic ring if you're very careful/a horrible person.

had that issue with the PP deal where people were unscrewing the caps for the codes under the caps(free gas) and redeeming hundreds of them.

At least it still contained oil

I went to buy 10 jugs and 2/3+ on the shelves were open.

A lot of "gimmedats" in society today. They expect everything handed to them and have no morals when it comes to acts like this. Trust but verify all purchases. Used oil filters in clean boxes, yep I've seen that. Lots of oil swap stories on here. Everything needs to be sealed.

Sad that this is the way it is.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
This is exactly why I buy Castrol oil -foil seal under the cap! No seal, no deal!

Some vandals are very good at what they do. Make sure that foil seal is exactly on correctly. One can buy jug seals online. This is how bad this problem is. You think you are getting top mark Castrol Edge but instead the jug is filled with Acme conventional oil of whatever grade.

We've had many threads over the years about making sure to check the seals both the plastic ring and foil if applicable.

Unfortunately it's a money scheme for people who want free oil chnages.

Haven't had the issue at MalWart, but we used to have a terrible time with Toys R Us...we bought a little ride on toy for my daughter a dozen years or so ago and found it to be a heavily used, filthy, sun bleached, half broken down piece of junk when we took it out of the box at home. Clearly, somebody had returned the thing after using it for several years.
The problem isn't just with the scumbags making the returns, it's also with these stores accepting "no questions asked" returns and just putting the items back on the shelf without opening and looking at them.

Man! That is just terrible. I've never encountered anything like that, and good on you for catching it!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Haven't had the issue at MalWart, but we used to have a terrible time with Toys R Us...we bought a little ride on toy for my daughter a dozen years or so ago and found it to be a heavily used, filthy, sun bleached, half broken down piece of junk when we took it out of the box at home. Clearly, somebody had returned the thing after using it for several years.
The problem isn't just with the scumbags making the returns, it's also with these stores accepting "no questions asked" returns and just putting the items back on the shelf without opening and looking at them.

That's what happens when you pay someone crumbs to do their job and give them no reason to go above and beyond the bare minimum.

After all, that's all they're getting paid.

Originally Posted By: v70courier
The duct tape seal fooled me and I am sure it may have fooled others less observant.

No offense, but that must've been some extra special duct tape to be mistaken for the manufactures foil seal.
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back