New jack stands (Modified) to replace HF

I just was not comfortable with my HF jack stands any more. Took advantage of their no questions asked return policy (Took store credit) and searched long and hard for replacements... Figured out I wanted a pin style. But, needed ones at least 20" high to get my Tacoma's wheels off the ground when supposed by the frame. Many hours later nothing to be had that I liked. Tacomaworld recommendation pointed me towards "Omega 22T" stands that met most of my criteria at an acceptable price... Just a few inches too short and I was not in love with the saddles... I went ahead and purchased them thru Home Depot and proceeded to modify:

- Built 4" 12x12 bases: glued sandwich of 16ga sheet metal and plywood (with rubber anti-skid bonded to the bottoms)
- Ground the saddles so the frame rails sits in them nicely + scallops for the axle to sit in when needed
- The posts had ~4mm of slop in them; cut, fit and JB Welded 22ga strips to cut that in half
- The assembly is held together with 3/8" (removable) grade-8 bolts
- Painted to match w/bedliner on the sides and on the saddles

Happy with the end result; I can hit my desired height of 21" on the 3rd pin, wider base is a little more stable with the increased height and no chance the stands will slide or topple off the bases; rock solid. Will feel much more comfortable crawling under a 4k+ vehicle now:

IMG_0752.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
I think cool. I have some really old vintage homemade jackstands. Made in the 1960s by a local mechanic here in town. I bought them from his daughters at his estate sale they sold me everything in the garage minus the lathe. There is different heights all are the pin style. Made from Model T Ford axle housings. If anyone is interested I’ll try and take a picture of them tomorrow some are not complete but still they work. Very sturdy. I trust Harbor Freight for jacks but definitely not the stands. I’ve used their jacks for a couple years now since I started in school both the Daytona and Pittsburgh and they are excellent jacks.

I think those jacks are about 30 lbs each plus the weight of the bases and bolts you added. The rated capacity is 22 tons, therefore the rated factor of safety is greater than 11 because the vehicle weighs 4000 lbs and either the front or rear wheels remain on the ground to carry some of the weight. Stability should be great. They are also well made and look great.

Last edited:
I think cool. I have some really old vintage homemade jackstands. Made in the 1960s by a local mechanic here in town. I bought them from his daughters at his estate sale they sold me everything in the garage minus the lathe. There is different heights all are the pin style. Made from Model T Ford axle housings. If anyone is interested I’ll try and take a picture of them tomorrow some are not complete but still they work. Very sturdy. I trust Harbor Freight for jacks but definitely not the stands. I’ve used their jacks for a couple years now since I started in school both the Daytona and Pittsburgh and they are excellent jacks.
I would like to see your homemade jack stands. I'll post my homemade ramps if you post your jack stands.

Last edited:

Here you go. I found some old pics of them from back in the summer so I added them to my album here. 🙂
That was fast. I'll post my home made ramps tomorrow when I return home from a short trip. (I called them jacks stands when I should have written ramps).

Last edited:
I think those jacks are about 30 lbs each plus the weight of the bases and bolts you added. The rated capacity is 22 tons, therefore the rated factor of safety is greater than 11 because the vehicle weighs 4000 lbs and either the front or rear wheels remain on the ground to carry some of the weight. Stability should be great. They are also well made and look great.
I think 22 ton stands are a bit overkill for a 2 ton vehicle, but better safe than sorry! And solid wood is always a safe choice when necessary.

Here you go. I found some old pics of them from back in the summer so I added them to my album here. 🙂
Here is a picture of ramps made from scrap lumber (left over from building a deck), a 6x6 post with a 2x8 cut down and screwed on one side and a 4x4 set at the end for a stop. My 4Runner climbs the ramps in 4 low at a speed that is easily controllable. The incline has to be very shallow for a car to easily climb it. The 6 inch ramp height is adequate when I work on my 4Runner which has one inch front lift. It's a little bit short for my Nissan Maxima but I'm skinny :)

I used a 12 inch blade in a reciprocating saw to cut the inclines. It was difficult to keep the cut straight. If I were to do it again, I probably would use a chain saw to cut the inclines. Now that I think about it, perhaps I'll use a chain saw to fix a taper on one of the ramps. On the other hand, it works well as is.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Here is a picture of ramps made from scrap lumber, a 6x6 post with a 2x6 screwed on one side and a 4x4 set at the end for a stop. My 4Runner climbs the ramps in 4 low at a speed that is easily controllable. The incline has to be very shallow for a car to easily climb it. The 6 inch ramp height is adequate when I work on my 4Runner which has one inch front lift. It's a little bit short for my Nissan Maxima but I'm skinny :)

I used a 12 inch blade in a reciprocating saw to cut the inclines. It was difficult to keep the cut straight. If I were to do it again, I probably would use a chain saw to cut the inclines. Now that I think about it, perhaps I'll use a chain saw to cut a little bit more of an incline and fix the taper. On the other hand, it works well as is.
I will say that’s the first time I’ve ever seen homemade ramps. Look well built too. Definitely trust those.

Back