New Information on Extending Oil Change Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read thism this morning mas to the new policy of Auto Mfrs, for extending OCI's. Here's the story;

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/M...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

hornets_nest.gif
hide.gif
driving.gif

Ha! I like how Toyota is blaming the consumer for their sludged engines...

You know this is going to be a real difficult change for many people who are just used to the 3k/3mo interval. I know many girls(not discriminating, just an observation) who freak out if they go 3010 miles before getting it changed. They think the engine will blow up or something will fail...they're so brainwashed by the quickie lubes...:(

I think it's okay they want to extend the interval, but in some instances, like the short-trip stop-n-go driver, I would not trust regular Supertech dino or even Valv AC to go 7500 miles....A synthetic, definitely, but the relatively weak-additived dinos, not really...Just my .02

Quote:

I can feel it coming. the words "cheap insurance"
puke.gif

laugh.gif

Funny...I've just been having this friendly debate on another forum over this very thing. He's the "cheap insurance" advocate.
pat2.gif

I saw this story on the news this morning. I laughed at the misinformation in the news story though. "Ford is the first company to raise the oil changing guidelines." If I remember correctly, MANY companies have suggested longer drains for quite some time. My 1995 Acura says 7500 miles/6 months!

Quote:

They're just trying to cater the people who are too lazy to change oil.

Huh? There are "extended drain people" and then there are people who don't change their oil often enough; two different situations....

Quote:

They're just trying to cater the people who are too lazy to change oil.

rugerman.gif
(Extended drain people)

And your backing information is? Facts are?

The article isn't factually wrong. It may be a bit light in the loafers, but it made the salient points. I fail to see why it would garner derision.

Let me see....my Volvo has 110,000 miles. My OCI's range from 8K to 20K miles. The car runs like a top and the engine is clean inside. I work my arsh off 7 days a week, plus I keep the cars and house up and play with my kids and take them to all their events. I hardly need some pup saying people who extend their oci's are lazy.

The new oils and cars don't need the oil changed at 3K - get over it.

Quote:

I would not trust regular Supertech dino or even Valv AC to go 7500 miles....A synthetic, definitely, but the relatively weak-additived dinos, not really...Just my .02

OUCH......another slam to Valvoline AC.....
shocked.gif

Holy Keerap, Pablo's still's posting on oil!

I wish I could save more by extending the OCI. Oil changes are cheap but not free. Gas refills are really expensive and getting more expensive daily. I would like to double my GRI (Gasoline Refill Interval), but I can only do that by hours elapsed and not mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back