New in-car footage: Autobahn CC south track

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest watching in full screen (1080p60) with good speakers or headphones.
cool.gif

autobahn-south.jpg

This was my final run at Autobahn Country Club's south track last week. I was in the intermediate group and the ambient temps were in the 90s.

Absolutely no issues with the brakes despite not being on a full race pad, a testament to just how effective these StopTech discs are (two-piece, fully floating, huge vane count). The pads themselves are wearing very well and I get the feeling they'll last another 2 track days, maybe more.

Oil temps stayed in check too, never going above the 260 F mark, which is the same as days when the ambient temps are 20-30 degrees cooler. It also burned no oil according to the digital readout.

The only complaint I had was that the SCCA only had two passing zones so I did get held up in traffic on a few occasions. Other groups, even in beginner classes, allow more passing. I understand they are erring on the side of safety.

It was interesting to run the south track as most of my experience at that facility is either the faster and less-technical north course, or the considerably faster full course. By the end of the day I was far more comfortable with the final set of corners (13 and 14) before re-entering the main straight. You'll notice that the last few laps I am at full throttle in 3rd gear through those corners rather than short-shifting to 4th.

I am also still working on finding ideal tire pressures, as the stock 36f/35r still tends to have a bit of understeer. I may also get camber plates and run a bit more aggressive of an alignment.

Next track day will be at GingerMan in about two weeks.

As an HPDE instructor:

You could take at least 2 seconds off your lap time by overdriving the car less.

As a lover of fine automobiles:

Your car will last longer if you take the first lap as a warm up lap.

I agree. Well done dparm
smile.gif

One thing I noticed was how rarely you had to correct the steering in the corners. There were a few where you steered to the left on a right turn or the opposite. Didn't seem like you over drove that many corners at all.

Would you like to run at Watkins Glen? Or Sonoma? Or road America?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
As an HPDE instructor:

You could take at least 2 seconds off your lap time by overdriving the car less.

Thanks, but the car was already warmed up by the time I exited the pits. Oil temp was normal and it was hot enough outside that the tires/brakes were ready to go.

I admit that I am still not an expert, but where are you seeing me "over drive"?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
As an HPDE instructor:

Thanks, but the car was already warmed up by the time I exited the pits. Oil temp was normal and it was hot enough outside that the tires/brakes were ready to go.

I admit that I am still not an expert, but where are you seeing me "over drive"?

So, how did you warm up the transmission, axles, shocks, and brakes before getting it on?
At race track force levels, these things need to be warmed up also, not just the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back