New Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to Edmunds site about the new 2006 Impala.

Looks quite nice! The first thing that comes to mind is that it's a Holden/GTO copy, but that can't be true as it's a FWD 5.3L V8.

Therein lies the biggest issue, why doesn't GM stop using this engine for these applications and just keeping using the 3.5L 24V V-6 that was in the upper level Olds models? Maybe even a supercharged/turbocharged version. Why even release another V-8 car with gas prices the way they are?? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Otherwise it looks very nice.
smile.gif

I was not aware that you could only tow 1000 pounds with a 300 HP engine?? I don't want to come off too negative towads the new car but I really like the current Impalas. If I needed a car that big I'd probably get one.

Steve

Looks like GM is trying to get back into the police car market. They realized the current Impala is only good for intercity police and they need something. They finally realized they handed Ford a big market that they used to control.

Is it not a Displacement-on-Demand V8? If I remember correctly, they shut down half the cylinders on the highway, and the car itself still gets 34-35mpg?

As for the 'towing', 1000 pounds is likely due to things such as brakes/suspension/transaxle more than anything. Heck, on TDIclub, theres even been reports of people with 90hp diesel Jettas pulling identical diesel jettas behind them, doing 85mph cross-country and in the mountains. If that sort of abuse won't melt a 90hp engine....I don't know what could possibly damage a 300hp engine?

why doesn't GM stop using this engine for these applications and just keeping using the 3.5L 24V V-6 that was in the upper level Olds models

GM drop'd the 3.5 24v because it cost to much to produce.

GM now has whats internaly known as "high value" and "high content".

HV = 3.8l and the Chinese made 3.5l 12v.

HC = NorthStar

The Olds Intrigue (SP?) and Alero where the Generals only decent cars IMO (besides the Vette) for over the past couple of decades.

Wife's EcoTech 2.2L powered Malibu seems to have lot's of power. Allows us to do what ever we want on the freeway system down here in Florida. Go as fast as we want, pass anybody anytime. After having this car for a year, I wonder why anyone would want a V-6. Our overall fuel mileage is around 30.9 MPG acording to the DIC.

Does anybody know if GM corrected the intake-gasket leak problem with the Chinese made 3.5 V6?

Why a heavy pushrod truck V-8 with 303hp a FWD car? It makes no sense to me except cost. The police fleet market is going to love the Dodge Charger, since it is 4-door and RWD. GM still doesnt "get it".

Styling is subjective, that is why there is choice in the marketplace, but I have to disagree on both the Impala, the current one is a lame attempt at "retro" with the 1962-ish rear fascia, and the Malibu, the most boring of boring rent-a-cars out there today. New Impala, Ford 500 blandness.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:

HV = 3.8l and the Chinese made 3.5l 12v.

Just to set the record straight-
The 3.5 for the US/Canada market is not assembled in China, it's made in Mexico.

After browsing over at gmpowertrain.com, it is interesting to note that the vast majority of their car engines for '05 do NOT use those plastic upper intakes, they're back to aluminum. Maybe GM and Ford have learned their lesson on that one...

They are doing it to offer a V8 in a mid size car, reaction to hemi powered 300's Magnums and Charger.

The real quastion should be, when will they offer a RWD mid sized sedan loaded for 30K that gets 25 MPG to match the DC cars??

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Why a heavy pushrod truck V-8 with 303hp a FWD car?

It may be pushrod, but GM has never been much in favor of OHC engines, anyway. About the weight issue, this engine is aluminum block and heads. It also underwent modifications, such as a shortened crankshaft and redesigned accessory mountings to adapt it for FWD. They didn't just throw a truck engine in a car.

I've actually seen the new Impala on the road. The rear end is MUCH improved and I like the new front. The rest of the car is just a freshening over the current body style. I was pretty impressed. It looks good.

Will Police Depts. balk at ordering Dodge Chargers because Chrysler is now foreign owned? There really is no difference between buying Toyotas as buying Chrylers since both are built in America but the profits go overseas.

Much of Chryslers' operations are still based in the USA, just as their roots have been here since the 1920s. Where was Toyota in the 1920s to the 1990s? While I agree I'd take a GM or Ford product all day long compared to a D/C product, it's still a better choice than a Toyota.

Toyota does not make a big RWD sedan and neither does Chevy. That was my point.

Why do threads abuout technical comparisons of different cars here and on other internet boards seem to follow this same downward spiral of foreign vs domestic arguments?

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Toyota does not make a big RWD sedan and neither does Chevy. That was my point.

Why do threads abuout technical comparisons of different cars here and on other internet boards seem to follow this same downward spiral of foreign vs domestic arguments?

Ask PBM he is the one who brought that point up.

Per my point GM is doing this so they can offer a V8 in midsized car albeit a FWD flavor. Again a reaction to DC's 300C and Charger.

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
I was not aware that you could only tow 1000 pounds with a 300 HP engine?? I don't want to come off too negative towads the new car but I really like the current Impalas. If I needed a car that big I'd probably get one.

Steve

It's a front wheel drive. A heavy trailer would take too much weight off the front, reducing traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back