New Iffy lube horror story

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is classic right here:
Buddy of mine didn't come into work yesterday, said his car broke down. It's a 2000 or 2001 Mustang V6, so I'm thinking couldnt be anything TOO serious. Came into work today and told us what had happened. He was driving down the street when he heard a "clank", looked in his rearview and saw his oil filter bouncing down the street!! He immediately pulled over and popped his hood, saw the absence of a filter and oil just pouring out all over the place. He told us he got his oil changed at Iffy Lube a couple of months back, so he went there to file a complaint and fill out an incident report. His car should be ok, since he pulled over and turned off the car right away, but still that's BS. I told him he shoulda known better than to go there, which he admits he usually takes it somewhere else. I told him if he doesn't want to do it himself, then he'd be better off going to the stealership...IF he can spare the whole day
lol.gif
, but at least he'd be getting good MC oil and filter. Anyway, he's in for a nice battle with Iffy Lube, just thought I'd share his experience with my fellow BITOGers.
cheers.gif

Iffy lube likes to use junky fram and penzoil(fram) oil filters and some of us here at BITOG have heard about problems or have had problems with these filters.
Could this oil filter just have blown off due to bad threads?
I hope he picked up the filter off the road then he could complain to the manufacturer as well as iffy lube.

I agree with the filter possibly blowing off. Were the threads "stripped" out on the filter? Iffy Lube is not the problem here. Especially, as you say, it was changed some months back. And if it was loose for those months, and now finally fell off, he would have been loosing oil for a long time, like the other guys have said. Theres too much unknown grey matter here to automatically blame Iffy Lube.

Maybe they just installed the wrong filter. SAE as opposed to Metric threads? Many quicky lube receipts will show the filter # installed. That's my guess is that the wrong filter was installed and had a loose thread fit.

I agree with y'all. But, it's his battle. He didn't get into any more specifics than what I've posted, so I can't answer any questions. That is why I do things myself, at least I know what type/grade oil I put in as well as what filter and how tight it was applied. Maybe they tightened it with a filter wrench and stripped something...who knows
dunno.gif

Oh, almost forgot, he did say he was going to take his car to Ford and have them look at it to see if there was some damage done.

I agree, the oil would be long gone before the filter actually fell off. He probably does have damage.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Maybe they just installed the wrong filter. SAE as opposed to Metric threads? Many quicky lube receipts will show the filter # installed. That's my guess is that the wrong filter was installed and had a loose thread fit.

That makes sense to me.
cheers.gif

That filter would have to turn several times before it came off the engine, and the engine would be loosing oil after about the first half turn.
I would have thought the engine would be out of oil long before the filter came off.
Somthing dosn't add up here
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Spitty:
That filter would have to turn several times before it came off the engine, and the engine would be loosing oil after about the first half turn.
I would have thought the engine would be out of oil long before the filter came off.
Somthing dosn't add up here
confused.gif

I agree. The engine should have started knocking long before the filter came bouncing off. I'm calling BS on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back