New Honda, low miles... when to do first oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From all I've read, Honda uses very high moly oil from the factory. We have a 2004 Odyssey bought last October, and it only has 2800 miles on it so far (my wife has a very short commute).

It's been a rough winter in Boston, and with her short commute (~5 miles), I'm sure there's a bit of fuel dilution. However, the factory oil sounds like a winner to keep in as long as possible.

So when should I perform the first oil change? Now, to get the fuel dilution down? Or should I just flog it on the highway to burn some of that stuff off and keep going until the recommended 7500 miles (which at this rate, will probably be a year from now). Or, should I keep going until, perhaps, 5000 miles, and then change?

Eventually, I'm looking to change to M1 0W-20, in line with the awesome used oil reports here
smile.gif

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hmmm, 3800 miles is somewhat signifigant. Since 5000-6000 would be ideal for first change, I'd be ready in a few weeks, not long though. Winter is tough on the oil, so do it if it makes you happy. Someone should do a UOA on their original fill so it can be determined what exactly is going on with break-in. My guess is you have a lil break-in left to do, so yeah...beat it to seat the rings and drain soon. I am likeing Syntec Blend, Chevron Supreme or even Mobil 1 for Japanese cars, if you can stick with one brand.

I'm very interested in this as well since my grandmother just got a 2004 civic. She had it delivered in late January and has only put on approximately 500km (~300 miles) since delivery (about 100km of that was between bringing it home from the dealership and I took it for a drive last week since I do a lot of highway driving). I plan on trying to drive it every few weeks (or at least once a month) and would give it about 50km (25km each way) of highway driving each time.

In Canada, Honda recommends 8000km or 4 months OCI (5000miles) and the owners manual specifically says to keep the factory fill in for the full 8000km for the reasons bigpaulo stated (it's funny how they say different things for the break-in period between the US and Canada).

Obviously 8000km in 4 months won't happen. I'm thinking of keeping the factory fill in until fall (late October) before changing it. After that, probably do twice a year changes (spring and fall, unless we leave it to once a year).

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with the same engine in it. With the high copper all these Hondas have lately, change it every 3K. Pennzoil 5w-20 and Chevron/Havoline have good moly amounts, so using them will help out with the MFR to run the factory fill for a long while. Check out this 5w-20 comparison.

Honestly, the factory oil is quite mediocre with a dose of moly. Thanks to this board and Roger for putting together the 5w-20 comparision list in the above link, I switched out the factory fill at 700 miles with PZ 5w-20 (couldn't find the Chevron/Havoline product). I didn't have any guilt since the factory fill's moly is THAT high after all.

Given the high copper, I believe in changing it every 3K until it levels off. That's why I switched to SuperTech synth...not worth the $$ for "true" synth for the first part of the vehicle's life. Car runs cooler, too.
smile.gif

My wife has an '03 Civic that she drives only 3.5 miles to work. I decided to keep the factory oil in until 5k and she finally hit that mark 2 weeks ago taking 8 months to get there.

I too went back and forth but went with the factory recommendation to leave it in. I usually like 5k intervals but I'll change the RL 5W-20 every 6 months or 5k, whichever comes first. Coincidentally the 6 months just happens to fall on the time change weekend!

Just changed the oil in my 04 Civic last week at 5K miles. I'm glade the oil filter on the engine was not Fram. I have 0W-20 right now and plan to keep it for 10K.

I would not wait until 7500 miles! I waited until 6800 miles which was 5-6 months & that was too long. My wife drives about 2-3 miles each way to work. Here is my V6 Accord factory fill UOA: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001374

I would probably change at the recommened 3750 miles/3 months if I had it to do over again. The 3 months b/c I wouldn't be able to wait to get all that copper out of there! My 2nd interval would probably be 7500 miles with my chosen oil. I didn't know of BITOG at the time though!

quote:

Originally posted by bigpaulo:
From all I've read, Honda uses very high moly oil from the factory. We have a 2004 Odyssey bought last October, and it only has 2800 miles on it so far (my wife has a very short commute).

It's been a rough winter in Boston, and with her short commute (~5 miles), I'm sure there's a bit of fuel dilution. However, the factory oil sounds like a winner to keep in as long as possible.

Check your owner's manual and use the Severe maintenance schedule.

I changed my oil in my 2003 Civic EX at 3,350 with no ill effects. I now have 17,000 running Pennzoil 5W20 and it uses no oil.

IMO, even the severe 3750 mi OCI is too long for the factory fill - these Honda/Acura v6 seems to be dirty breaking engines. Dump the oil now. Stick with the severe schedule for at least the next 2 OCI. Good/cheap oil to use is the ExxonMobil 5w20, $1.29 at Autozone or Mobil1 0w20(usually around $4 when on sale at vaious stores), if you don't mind paying more

I have a 2003 Accord with 4 cyl engine and did my first oil change at 2,959 miles. I did not do a UOA on the factory fill but changed to Schaeffers 5W-30 and went 5,078 miles (mainly short trips) and did a UOA posted here in mid March and my copper was at 4. I keep reading about the Honda high copper reading but have not experienced it with my car or my wife's 2002 CRV.

I've noticed the references to high copper levels in Honda engines too, but from my understanding that is in their V6 engines. Does this also apply to the 4 cylinders like the ones found on civics or in OutlawTitan's 4 cylinder Accord?

Is it fair to generalize the high copper levels to all Hondas (and would it apply to Acura's V6s as well)?

quote:

Originally posted by john_ertw:

Is it fair to generalize the high copper levels to all Hondas (and would it apply to Acura's V6s as well)?

Makes sense since they are basically the same motors(v6). This would apply to Saturn Vue v6 as well(uses outsourced motor from Honda).

quote:

Originally posted by pinoy99:

quote:

Originally posted by john_ertw:

Makes sense since they are basically the same motors(v6). This would apply to Saturn Vue v6 as well(uses outsourced motor from Honda).

I'm going to clairify what I meant to say in my last post. Is it fair to generalize the high copper levels in V6 Hondas to their 4 cylinders as well?

If they are the EXACT same type of construction, you would generally see less Cu from the 4 cylinder because its two cylinders less than the V6. I would generalize thus: V6 have higher amounts of copper as compared to the I4 motors.

Please do a search using the word "Honda" in this subsection.

There has been a lot of discussion already about Hondas, break-in oil (factory fill) and first oil changes.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back