New Honda 2002 Si with Oil question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I would like to see the shop manual's actual diametral clearance specs on the Honda bearings,
otherwise, I still think it's all CAFE.

Main bearing-to-journal clearance:
.0007 to .0016 in.
Rod bearing clearance:
.0008 to .0019 in.

[ October 16, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

good luck with your choice, I'm not a fan of any 5w-20 oil so I think I'm gonna stick with 5w-30, if its good enough for an RSX-S it should be good for the Civic engine.

yes I am on the CivicSi forum, I find ephatch.com much more informative though. But this is the best **** forum for oil information bar none. So hang around.
cheers.gif

Clearances posted:

(Main bearing-to-journal clearance:
.0007 to .0016 in.
Rod bearing clearance:
.0008 to .0019 in.)

Jay, would you please email or PM the link to where you got those specs from?

On my 02 Hyundai Elantra (yes, I know its not a Honda!)The owners manual recommends 10w-30, at 5k SS or 7.5k NS change intervals. I changed my oil at 2.5k, replacing it with the Dealer-installed Castrol 10w-30. They looked at me funny and asked why I am changing it so early. I told them I wanted the break-in oil out of it (I had thoughts of metal particulates dancing in my head)and they said, "No, 3000 to 3700 miles, and there is no break-in oil, it is filled from the fatory with standard off-the-shelf oil." Needless to say, I gave them the look and said "Change it anyhow", and they did. When it gets to 5K, I will change it again with 10w-30 Synthetic M1 and go for 5K intervals. I have had no consumption of oil yet. But I would personally, no matter what the Manufacturer says run a 5w-20 in any engine, unless for some reason it never gets over 40 degrees where I lived. I find this 'break-in' method works great for all my vehicles. If the engine is a fresh rebuild from say, a local machine shop, then yes, once at 500, 2.5k and 5k afterwards, but a new engine, fresh from the factory, I use my interval of changes. Hope this helps...
patriot.gif

I changed to M1 0W-40 at 5000 miles on my SI. So far the engine hasn't grenaded or anything. I haven't noticed any change in power and i'm getting the same gas mileage as before the change. So far so good. I'll try and get a sample for analysis when I change it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back