New high VI Product - Service Pro 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of you who fall down on the altar of higher VI 0W20 oils, I came across this new product listed; Service Pro 0W20.

Listed specs are: 179 VI
405F Flashpoint cst@40C 8.4, cst@100C 42.4, Dexos1 rated, "exceeds performance requirements of Toyota and Honda.

The 179 VI figure is a bit higher than the typically found 170 - 175 VI range that both Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum and Havoline 0W20 offer. Falls lower than the 200+ VI figure reported for Toyota 0W20 (which is not Dexos1 rated).

Available from the Service Pro web site and the many Service Pro distributors located in each state nationwide.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Best F100
For all of you who fall down on the altar of higher VI 0W20 oils

crackmeup2.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: Best F100
For all of you who fall down on the altar of higher VI 0W20 oils

crackmeup2.gif
27.gif

Glad you liked that quote Deven.

My intent was not rub some folks the wrong way, and incite a riot.

In my personal case, I'm getting a higher than average mpg for
my vehicle (2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid). Averaging 46.5 mpg this summer/high of 52/low of 40, in 80% highway driving. My go to, oil of choice is Motorcraft FULL Synthetic 5W20 with a low VI of around 160 something. Fat hths of 2.7. 105,000 miles on it.

I also had a run of Toyota 0W20 with a VI of over 200+. HTHS of just 2.6. Although it was much cooler weather at the time, I thought somehow, the higher VI 0W20 would net me the same kind of fuel mileage. Didn't happen. Not a fair comparison, I know, but I'll try it again under same climate conditions next year. As a result, you can categorize me in the camp of "run the motor oil that will give you the maximum engine longevity, move on, and be done with it."

That's better than anything Warren currently sells in the 0W-20 category.

Better than their premier Mag 1 and the heavily advertised Peak product.

Either Warren has had a quantum leap in their base stocks or that's a typo.

"So Warren is just kicking the [censored] out of Red Line and faux boutique Royal Purple with this Service Pro product!!!!!"

??? Let us in on your source. I'd like to know. Are you talking cost, or performance. I'd like to know more about what you know about this new oil.

179 VI is very good, but it's borderline for what I consider to be "high" in this era. An oil doesn't get to be exceptional (VI-wise) until VI approaches 200. It's still far behind TGMO at 220+, and considering you can get TGMO at any Toyota dealer, it is more readily available. I don't recall ever seeing Service Pro oil in any of the stores I go to. Where is it sold?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Warren Oil Co. Thanks.

This Warren Unilube of West Memphis, Arkansas, is completely different from Warren Distributing of Omaha, Nebraska, blender of Mag 1, Supertech, etc.

Anyway, there is much more to an oil than a couple of points of viscosity index.

I can't recall any lubrication texts that demonstrated VI lubing anything...yes, it makes an oil's viscosity "more right", as long as it applies to high shear viscometry, not just the measured values of KV40/KV100 which VI is calculated at.

If high VI comes at the expense of either the HTHS, or shear stability of the HTHS,, it's bench racing to be chasing VI

e.g. why VI chasing is bench racing
http://www.moreyoil.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/HDOS-properties.pdf

has a VI of 192, but I doubt that's it's improving lubrication or fuel economy of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back