New Hampshire sales tax question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend but was thinking about purchasing it in New Hampshire since there isn't any sales tax. The only reason why I'm considering doing it is because I'll be in the area.

Now normally I wouldn't care about sales tax but considering it's a big ticket item I want to explore my options. Is there be anyway I would be charged NY sales tax if I purchased the ring in New Hampshire?

-Thanks

If the state of NY finds out somehow you would.

I live in coastal region of NH where MA and ME(both have sales tax) businesses sprawl at border towns and those folks come up or down to shop. Our state profits with slightly cheaper cigarette taxes and full control of state only liquor/wine at cut rate below neighboring states. We have 2 liquor stores with own exit off our 10 miles of RT95.

What I am saying is it happens all the time.

Purchasing products from another state or country usually does not relieve you of the burden to pay sales and use tax in your own state. Thats why its called sales and use tax. Compliance, though, is another issue altogether.

Just be careful where you buy it those guys are sometimes worse than car dealers.. I got mine through someone i know and trust and she is in the business..

Originally Posted By: cwing6
Purchasing products from another state or country usually does not relieve you of the burden to pay sales and use tax in your own state. Thats why its called sales and use tax. Compliance, though, is another issue altogether.
^^^This.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Nope - same reason why some people from Canada buy a new set of tires in the US and drive back across to minimize taxes.

Unless tires are needed as an emergency replacement ie. a blowout, or you claim the purchase as part of a Duty Free allowance you are required to declare new tires at the boarder.

Originally Posted By: expat
Unless tires are needed as an emergency replacement ie. a blowout, or you claim the purchase as part of a Duty Free allowance you are required to declare new tires at the boarder.
LOL that is just doing too much...

Just remember diamonds don't have much of any intrinsic value. Your ring may well be worth (cash value) about 1/2 of what you will pay for it.

Take your date to a bed & breakfast in NH and "use" it there for the proposal.
lol.gif

NYC has the best diamond trading in the world, by reputation at least. If you find a ring you like, ask if you can take delivery in NH through an affiliated jeweller or if you had a relative you could mail order through. IDK if the math would add up, frankly, with gas and tolls up there. Don't just go into a Zales in a mall in Concord, you'll pay 2-3x too much.

Conversely, order online from bluenile or similar and have it shipped to you at your house. We took my bluenile purchased ring to a local jeweller to buy matching wedding bands and he was (acted?) impressed.

Pay cash, leave no trail. It's why the bureaucrats want to sell the sheep on the "cashless society". They don't need your (real) name and address to take cash.
Here's the interesting question..say I live in Connecticut but have a lake house in New Hampshire. On the way up I buy a flatscreen for that house at a big sale in Massachusetts. I am SUPPOSED to pay a USE tax to Connecticut because I bought something out of state, but I'm NOT going to use it in Connecticut. Connecticut wants it anyway and states are now working out agreements where retailers have to rat you to your home state EVEN IF you don't use the product there.

Last edited:

I don't believe NY would have any right to collect sales tax on a ring bought in NH. On certain things like cars where you have to pay the tax at registration it might happen( have seen it with cars bought in NH but registered in MA ). Internet sales are another area where sales tax is now being collected because you are actually purchasing your item(s) from the state with the tax. Even though the place you ordered from is in CO you are in NY when ordering and paying and thus tax applies.

I don't believe the state of NY however can charge sales tax on items bought( with few exceptions like a car as said )while the buyer was physically in a state like NH where there is no sales tax. That just makes no sense at all. The sales tax is on the items sold in NY. NY can't tax items bought in NH if the buyer was in NH physically buying it/them.

I just don't believe that would hold up if pursued by a state like NY against a citizen of that state. NY has no jurisdiction over transactions conducted in another state.

For those of us in NH we are able to get out of paying sales tax in MA/ME/etc... by simply having the item delivered to NH. The receipt gets stamped as such and even though we might pay for the item(s)in MA or ME as long as we take delivery within the physical boundaries of NH we do not have to pay the other state's tax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Pay cash, leave no trail. It's why the bureaucrats want to sell the sheep on the "cashless society". They don't need your (real) name and address to take cash.
Here's the interesting question..say I live in Connecticut but have a lake house in New Hampshire. On the way up I buy a flatscreen for that house at a big sale in Massachusetts. I am SUPPOSED to pay a USE tax to Connecticut because I bought something out of state, but I'm NOT going to use it in Connecticut. Connecticut wants it anyway and states are now working out agreements where retailers have to rat you to your home state EVEN IF you don't use the product there.

That.

Last time someone required an address for a cash sale, I gave them City Hall. (And when they wanted a phone number, I gave them Domino's.)

I told this true story a few years back.

A guy I know went with his GF back to his birth town in Asia, While there, after getting approval of the girl from his family, he bought (with the help of his family,who are in the jewelery trade) a very nice engagement ring, one that would have been out of his league back in Canada.
He proposed to her on the flight back to Canada, and she accepted.

On arrival, Canada Customs asked her 'if she had anything to declare'

She held out her left hand to show the ring!!

They still got married.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Last time someone required an address for a cash sale, I gave them City Hall. (And when they wanted a phone number, I gave them Domino's.)
LOL perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back