New Hamp Oil Under on GM Wax Frame?

I put my truck up on ramps tonight (755 miles on her) and hit areas on the frame where the wax was abraded during manufacturing with this stuff. I’ll report back to update on its longevity. I have to say, this wax job is soooo much better than my 2013’s. Just areas that got scraped during manufacturing when the frame was having components attached.View attachment 130390
Nice! An aerosol can of the GM wax. I have tried it. Weird how it bubbles up when you apply it. You are correct, any type of oil spray will degrade the existing wax coating. And if you spray oil you can’t use wax after that unless it’s completely gone. If the frame is completely stripped of the original wax, it doesn’t matter what you use.

Having use both for several years now.. if the vehicle is new/newer, a few winters old, with minor surface rust, go with wax. Much less maintenance and no gritty mess. If the vehicle is older and significantly rusting, go with the oil. Deeper penetration. Although wax spray works well with minor surface rust, it will bleed with deeper flaking rust. Left pic is recent cosmoline wax spray on the rear subframe of a 2019 Cherokee. You can see the salt sitting on the surface. The right is black dyed cosmoline on the old Maxima. It’s starting to bleed. I would have used oil if I planned to keep it going much longer.

Attachments

• 2359CE29-59C3-496A-99D4-0AA60B5BDC7C.jpeg
    2359CE29-59C3-496A-99D4-0AA60B5BDC7C.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 99
  • 5F45519F-2E8F-48EE-A6A9-D6D37CD76F6E.jpeg
    5F45519F-2E8F-48EE-A6A9-D6D37CD76F6E.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 99
Nice! An aerosol can of the GM wax. I have tried it. Weird how it bubbles up when you apply it. You are correct, any type of oil spray will degrade the existing wax coating. And if you spray oil you can’t use wax after that unless it’s completely gone. If the frame is completely stripped of the original wax, it doesn’t matter what you use.
I can attest to the level of pressure washing needed to remove all oil residue coating when going to a wax type coating (noxudol). HOURS of pressure washing, the hand wiping everything down. Probably the most time consuming part .

I can attest to the level of pressure washing needed to remove all oil residue coating when going to a wax type coating (noxudol). HOURS of pressure washing, the hand wiping everything down. Probably the most time consuming part .
Nuxudol is compatible with GM frame wax. There are shops that spray noxudol wax. I think this one is near the OP’s location.

I’m almost thinking of telling the installer to not spray the frame and just focus on the body for the time being. to be honest, the frame of my 2013 didn’t look terrible, it was the wheel arches. I just don’t want the body hems rusting. overtime, if the GM wax starts to chunk off as it always does, I will start doing oiling of the chassis as well. of course these modern GM pick ups have a hood, doors, and tailgate made out of aluminum, do those still need to be sprayed?

I’m almost thinking of telling the installer to not spray the frame and just focus on the body for the time being. to be honest, the frame of my 2013 didn’t look terrible, it was the wheel arches. I just don’t want the body hems rusting. overtime, if the GM wax starts to chunk off as it always does, I will start doing oiling of the chassis as well. of course these modern GM pick ups have a hood, doors, and tailgate made out of aluminum, do those still need to be sprayed?
I would treat it. Aluminum corrodes. For different reasons. Not anodized, galvanic, unpainted. Oxidation from salt will do it. Not the same as rust but it will bubble paint. Its a big problem with Jeep/Chrysler. So bad there are lawsuits.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this…two minds are better than one! this is my third Chevy pick up and I don’t want to lose it to rust. My first one was a GMT 800, that one the bad spots were the rocker panels, my next one was a GMT 900, the bad spot on that one was some of the frame and those wheel arches. On this one I want it to last. The previous two I did no aftermarket rust prevention.

Just bought a new 22 Silverado. I don't want it going the way my last one did (rusted wheel arches and frame rust). I have a date with New Hampshire Oil Undercoating. I have no qualms with doing that annually. My worry though is that their oil will soften and degrade the wax undercoating on the frame which (miracle) actually looks pretty good right now. Should I tell them to stick to the body only for the time being?
Just bought a new 22 Silverado. I don't want it going the way my last one did (rusted wheel arches and frame rust). I have a date with New Hampshire Oil Undercoating. I have no qualms with doing that annually. My worry though is that their oil will soften and degrade the wax undercoating on the frame which (miracle) actually looks pretty good right now. Should I tell them to stick to the body only for the time being?
Don’t do it! This will be my 3rd winter for my Silverado 2500. I’ve ff the frame every winter. November this year I had my guys wash the frame and reapply ff. when I went to look at their work I noticed my frame is raw. Chevy said they would reapply a wax but now they see there is ff on the frame they have now said I’ve my warranty is void as I’ve applied an oil.
Photo below :(
IMG_1140.jpeg

Don’t do it! This will be my 3rd winter for my Silverado 2500. I’ve ff the frame every winter. November this year I had my guys wash the frame and reapply ff. when I went to look at their work I noticed my frame is raw. Chevy said they would reapply a wax but now they see there is ff on the frame they have now said I’ve my warranty is void as I’ve applied an oil.
Photo below :(View attachment 191657
This is exactly what I’ve been warning against on different posts. Oil sprays destroy GM factory frame wax. There are wax options you can repair this with including OEM Dalbert in an aerosol, if you choose.

Last edited:
I have sprayed the frames on several SIlverados and never had an issue with the wax.
Removing the oval plug on the inner bed side will give access to the inner wheelhouse, that along with removing the tail light will give plenty of access for that area.

What a lot of people do not realize, is the GM wax is a complete scam. Attend a few auctions with 7+ year salt belt trucks and you will see the GM trucks have the worst condition frames of the big 3.

Spray ANYTHING over the wax and let it do what ever it does to the wax and it will be better than doing nothing.

Photo below :(View attachment 191657

Looks like the Fluid Film is working well though!

I am using Daubert to really keep up with my wax coated frame. Every time it goes up on a lift I have to spray where the lift arms contacted.

What a lot of people do not realize, is the GM wax is a complete scam. Attend a few auctions with 7+ year salt belt trucks and you will see the GM trucks have the worst condition frames of the big 3.

Spray ANYTHING over the wax and let it do what ever it does to the wax and it will be better than doing nothing.
I think honestly its there to keep it from rusting before/during manufacturing. After that its on you (and they dont care).

Back