New guy, confused with OCI on my vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I'm pretty new here, have been reading a lot and posting a little (I prefer to read, read, read, and post only as necessary).

Anyway, there is so much information on this forum that I'm a little overwhelmed concerning my OCI for my vehicles. I'll try to give as much info as possible. I'm hoping to get some advice on what direction I should go.

Primary vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0l 75,000 miles. Currently use Supertech Synthetic 5w30, Bosch filter, change it every 5,000. Was thinking about going to 10k OCI. This is my daily driver, and is driven 60 miles a day.

Wife's vehicle: 2005 Ford Freestyle, 3.0l 90,000 miles. Currently use Supertech Synthetic 5w20, Bosch filter, change it every 5,000. Was thinking about going to 7,500-10,000 OCI. This car does not get driven daily and typically sees about 7,500-8,000 miles per year.

Last vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT, 4.6l 19,000 miles. Currently use Supertech Synthetic 5w20, Bosch filter, change it once a year. This vehicle has always been a Sunday driver. When it is driven, I will usually take it out for a good 50-100 mile cruise. It typically gets 1,000 miles per year, and the oil looks brand new when I drain it. I was thinking about chaning this every other year.

I plan to do a Blackstone analysis for each vehicle, but wanted to get the groups feeling on my current OCIs vs my "hopeful" OCIs before spending money on the UOA for each vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

4.0 Jeep engines don't like extended intervals too well. Better off using 5k max there from all the uoas I've seen. You can possibly stretch a little further but without a UOA for your specific driving habits it's a guess.

The Mustang I would change every 3 years.

The freestyle once a year.

The Freestyle is not really short tripped. When it's driven, it's driven 30+ miles. It is our family vehicle (4 kids), so it's only used when all of the family is going somewhere. But it will sit for days between those 30+ mile drives.

First, Bosch Premium oil filter was very good few years ago, since it is made by Purolator and it may have some tear on the filter media near where the crimp, I avoid it for now. In place of Bosch you can get Wix or NAPA Gold, which is the same as Wix, or Fram Tough Guard for similar cost.

Supertech Synthetic is okay but I don't like house brand oil, I rather pay a little more to get QSUD or PP or M1 ...

Oil change interval: with name brand synthetic oil I would do 1 year or 10k miles for Jeep Cherokee and Ford Freestyle. Doing oil change when you renew registration is easy to remember.

For Mustang GT I would extend to at least 2 years.

I think I would change your daily driver Jeep and your wifes vehicle every 7500 miles with the same oil and filter. The Jeep has a 6.5 quart sump if it is like mine. Those engines are relatively easy on oil. Especially going 60 miles a day. It easily gets up to good operating temp for quite a while. Go to a 3 year change interval on the fun weekend car since you do not drive it much. Hate to dump brand new oil in the recycle bin at the store.

Let us know what you decide to do

the only thing i would change is the filters. as stated above,(HTSS_TR) they are made by Purolator, and subject to the trearing issues they have had over the past few years.
I would change to either WIX (my Personal Preference), or since you are already @ Wally World getting the ST oil, Motorcraft Filters. Yes, they too are manufactured by the Dreaded Purolator, but seem to be made to a higher standard. and are really quite decent, and only cost $3-$5.

Good News!, 2 of your cars take the same Filter! (FL-820(s)), and those Jeep 4.0 in-line 6's seem to really like an FL-400(s)

Last edited:
Jeep: back in 09 I did a UOA on my GC with the 4.0, using ST synthetic 5w30 for 5k mostly highway miles with a Purolator filter. It showed low ppm of all wear metals, and was in good shape so could have gone further though I cannot recall for sure I think Blackstone recommended 6500.

Freestyle: with it getting warmed up, probably ok to go 7500 but would get a UOA to be sure.

Mustang: 2 years would be my plan.

Thanks for the info guys. I typically buy my filters from Rockauto, usually in bulk. I have a few Bosch filters left, so after they are exhausted I will have to go to a different brand. Apparently filters have changed since I last researched them, because at that time Bosch was a good filter.

I will definitely start doing every other year for the Mustang. I'll send that one into Blackstone with the next oil change (after the first 2 year OCI).

I'll start doing every year for the Freestyle, since that's pretty easy to remember and we have never put over 8,000 miles on that in one year.

The Jeep I'm a little torn on. I know it's an old technology motor; and I was really wanting to go to 10,000 mile OCI. But maybe I'll send a sample to Blackstone after my next 5,000 mile OCI just to get a baseline. Then I'll add some mileage based on the results of the test.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

That jeep is really old technology. I would go 6k miles max, and I wouldnt be using 5W30. Those engines love a 40 weight. I'd run 0W40/5W40 year round if using a synthetic or 10W40 Quaker State Defy if using a conventional.

Thanks again guys for the info. It looks like I can pick up a WIX filter from Rockauto, so I'll be adding that to my next order.

Is there a list anywhere that a new guy can reference to know what filters are good and what filters are bad? As I'm sure you all know, sometimes with Rockauto you have to make alternate choices to save on shipping. I'd like to know what other filters compare to WIX. I have been looking through the filter section, but there seems to be a mix of information.

I originally started using Bosch after reading an article in HOT ROD from years ago showing the cut away of 15 or so oil filters. The take away from that was "avoid Fram like the plague". Is that info still valid today?

Thanks for all the help.

No list that I'm aware of, might make a good sticky!

Fram Ultra is a fantastic filter, regular Frams are...regular, and Wix is a better choice than the regular version.

Stay away from Purolators for now, they were the best buy filter for quite awhile, but the media tears that people have been experiencing result in constant bypass.....

Personally I use Amsoil filters; they're one of, if not THE best filter and can be run 15k miles, and some up to 25k miles.

Motorcraft FL300 filter fits and is great quality for $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...-300+motorcraft

Fram TG16 good filter for $5.94
http://www.amazon.com/Fram-TG16-Tough-Pa...p;keywords=tg16

Fram XG16 is a top quality filter $10.29 (there is a $2 rebate currently). Filter is good for 15K miles and can be used twice.
http://www.amazon.com/Fram-XG16-Ultra-Sp...p;keywords=xg16

Delco PF13 fits and is good quality $4.97
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PF13CL-Pro...rds=pf13+filter

Fram filters are good. Their top filters are some of the best filters on the market. The Motorcraft filter is a solid buy. Every Motorcraft filter I have ever seen cut open has excellent construction. I dont use RockAuto any more as their shipping prices are INSANE. I use eBay, Amazon, or Advance Auto Parts with online coupon code.

Yes I agree, Rockauto can have some high shippig costs. The trick is to order mulitple things from the same warehouse. Then the shipping cost is more reasonable.

Thanks for the list of good filters. I'll make a note of it and look for any of these next time I order filters.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Once I get a sample sent to Blackstone, I'll be sure to post them here.

You could run an XG8A Ultra (like I do on my '98), & do 2 7500 OCIs, or even THREE 5K OCIs on the same filter. The inside of my '98 is actually really clean for 220K miles, and I've been running 10W30 MaxLife synthetic & VR-1 synthetic, consumption & noise are both really good.

NEver heard of the FL-300... looks to be a slightly(.3")taller, slightly Wider(.68") 3614.

Lots of folks have used the far more commonly available FL-400(s) on the Jeep 4.0, and the engines seem to "like" them.

FL-400 crosses to a 3600, Which is more or less a 1.58" longer 3614,they all have the same threads, the same bypass pressure, and very similar gasket sizes.

If you'd rather not go over sized, the Common Motorcraft that fits (3614 equiv) is the FL-910(s)

I classify Common as "on the Shelf @ Walmart/Autozone" ie: not a size i would have to go to the ford dealer to find.

I know the Filters for your other cars.
My Dad had/Sister Has an '05 Freestyle, AWD CVT, ~110k mi, and My Brother has both an 06 Mustang GT (auto) 69k mi, and a 98 Mustang GT (5 speed) >15k mi. Both Mustangs of course have the 4.6l Modular, the Freestyle, the Good Old Duratec 3.0(Mondeo engine). all 3 take an FL-820(s), which interestingly also fits the 5.7l Hemi in the same brother's '13 Challenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back