New GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got one...Tom Tom Rider 550 for my bike.

Now, to learn to use it...
frown.gif

You got a good one for motorcycling. As far as dedicated GPS, you are spot on.

I haven't used a GPS for years, relying on Google Maps on my iPhone bluetoothed into my helmet via a Sena intercom.
It rides in a clear pouch on the glove box on my Spyder. Plays my music, interrupts for phone calls or directions seamlessly.

Last edited:
Had Waze on this morning for the ride from Los Gatos (Silicon Valley), through SF, to Petaluma (wine country); 90 miles.
I've heard good things about it.
A voice came on a couple of times warning about CHP traps and red light cameras...
Pretty cool.

Back in the early 1970s was an owner operator and ran the 48 states by the seat of my pants .

Originally Posted by CT8
Back in the early 1970s was an owner operator and ran the 48 states by the seat of my pants .

When I delivered pizza in the summer of 1989, the boss had a rule. If you don't know exactly where you're going, you don't leave the store until you look at the map and understand the route you'll take.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by CT8

When I delivered pizza in the summer of 1989, the boss had a rule. If you don't know exactly where you're going, you don't leave the store until you look at the map and understand the route you'll take.

We are real men !!

Maybe.
wink.gif
I have no problem with a GPS, and they are pretty cool. My dad was always a gadget fan, and I've seen the standalones work, and the aftermarket ones, and the integrated ones. They are great, but just like any electronic device, you cannot rely on it constantly, and when things really matter, having a map backup is great. On the other hand, I've always been very good at reading maps, and I know some people are not, so something that guides them where they are going is helpful. Some cities are also better designed than others, and some highways have very good signage making it very difficult to get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back