New GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L - no diff oil change rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a new 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 4wd with the tried and true 6.0L and 4.10 rear end. Was looking thru the maintenance recommendations and noticed that there is no recommended change interval for the front and rear difs even on the severe service. I thought in the past they did recommend pretty regular changes.

Anybody know if something changed or a reason for this?

Don't own any 4wd but our 3500 service vans and Silverados all get changes at 100k miles. They come factory filled with a nice gear oil, unless you are towing or under water nothing needed...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Don't own any 4wd but our 3500 service vans and Silverados all get changes at 100k miles. They come factory filled with a nice gear oil, unless you are towing or under water nothing needed...

But is this the recommended interval or what you have determined is good? My recollection is that 100k was recommended in the past owners manuals but not any more.

My 98 with LSD had a recommendation of doing a first change at 7500 miles. That's an OE GM rear.

I'd do around then, then maybe at 10 years, 100k or when you get the itch...

1st year/ 12K to get the wear in flotsam away, then never again - unless it goes under water, launching das boot.

Raison? Axle seals leaks - Unless you are up to new seals also at 60K interval LCI's.

I would also do what Mr ARCO recommends for the seals sake.

Mobil 1 Delvac can be procured from Wilcox & Flegel in Clackamas.
The best place for Chevron Delo ESI line is Carson Oil. There are others, but those are the friendliest, no gimmicks.

I would also call the Mfg help line and the same for the lubricant Mfg. Different times of the day may give you access to different engineers, especially during breaks.

Forget about it, if you don't tow and plan your ownership for a shorter duration.

Good luck

I have a 2011 Silverado with the 5.3. I changed the rear differential (2WD only) for the first time at 50,000 miles (severe service-towing). Please note that approximately 50% of those miles was towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer around the country.

To change it out at 12,000 miles is not needed IMHO, nor is it recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
My 2013 Silverado 1500 has no recommendation for fluid changes in the rear differential as well. I changed it out at 15K and will do it again at about 75K.

Its the wording the nincompoops at GM put in the owner's manual that is causing the confusion.
Take a black felt pen and cover "at 1st oil change and after", then it all makes sense.

GM assumes that you will change the engine oil and other fluids all at the same time, and since most people have the dealership perform those duties, it makes sense.

Without running out to my truck to look exactly the recommendations.

For automatic transmissions "at 1st oil change and after 40,000 miles".

Cross off "at 1st oil change and".

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Its the wording the nincompoops at GM put in the owner's manual that is causing the confusion.
Take a black felt pen and cover "at 1st oil change and after", then it all makes sense.

GM assumes that you will change the engine oil and other fluids all at the same time, and since most people have the dealership perform those duties, it makes sense.

Without running out to my truck to look exactly the recommendations.

For automatic transmissions "at 1st oil change and after 40,000 miles".

Cross off "at 1st oil change and".

When I changed my Diff fluid at 50,000 miles in my Silverado, I also changed my transmission fluid at the dealer. Even though the fluid had 50,000 miles on it-with half the miles towing-it still visually looked good. It should be noted the fluid saw temps over 200 degrees on my trip several times. The Dexron 6 seems to be everything that has been published about it. The Diff also comes with a decent grease in it to my understanding.

Last edited:
A lot of our GM trucks blow axle seals between 60k-110k miles so that's when they get changed. Maybe GM figures on this...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A lot of our GM trucks blow axle seals between 60k-110k miles so that's when they get changed. Maybe GM figures on this...

There is more than not changing the differential that's going on here......

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Which GM trucks are you referring to? The 2500/3500 rear axles are supposed to be pretty reliable.

I've bought several of both, used and abused in the $500-$1,000 dollar range.
I loosen the bolts and crack the cover and sometimes nothing runs out of the 14 bolt diffs.
On one I had to scoop the oil out with a spoon.
To clean up the gears, I will fill the diff with used ATF or whatever is handy, jack the tires off the ground and run the vehicle in gear for a few minutes.
In some cases, more than once to get the junk out.

If people knew the difference between 2500s and 3500s, they would pick the latter just for the rear end.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Just purchased a new 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 4wd with the tried and true 6.0L and 4.10 rear end. Was looking thru the maintenance recommendations and noticed that there is no recommended change interval for the front and rear difs even on the severe service. I thought in the past they did recommend pretty regular changes.

Anybody know if something changed or a reason for this?

"Lifetime fill" lubricants are all the rage with many auto makers. One justification is that they are using higher quality lubricants as factory fill.

Personally I'm not sold on this concept. My idea of "lifetime" is to maximize the service life of the vehicle while doing reasonable levels of maintenance.

For me that means going no more than 50k miles on any factory fluid.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
If people knew the difference between 2500s and 3500s, they would pick the latter just for the rear end.

Why don't you enlighten us as to the difference?

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
"Lifetime fill" lubricants are all the rage with many auto makers. One justification is that they are using higher quality lubricants as factory fill.

Personally I'm not sold on this concept.
My idea of "lifetime" is to maximize the service life of the vehicle while doing reasonable levels of maintenance.

For me that means going no more than 50k miles on any factory fluid.

+1

There are those who loyally 'followed' manufacturer life-time oil recommendation and get into trouble.

The trouble manifests initially, in the form of irritating whining sound, in say upto 8-10 years of service,leaving the 'new' owner' dealing with the problem ,if there is ownership change.

Having said that, I 'may follow' manufacturer's life-time service recommendation if I know full details of the diferrential oils and monitor its operating temperature. In real life , I kept replacing gear oils periodically, only when I felt is necessary. That's simply because I do keep cars beyond 20 years or so.

JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back