New GM Trucks - excessive headlight glare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed: new GM trucks, Silverado, Colorado, Tahoe, Suburban, seem to give off more low beam glare to the oncoming driver. I don't know if this is just me, or they have a design issue that allows too much stray light above the horizontal cut off.

I know some people cut the tabs on a 9005 bulb and stuff it into a 9006 lamp, but it can't be every Chevy I run into on the road.

Euro cars with projector low beam usually have the least glare, pehaps it is the so called e-code design?

E-code headlights do present less glare to oncoming traffic so long as they are aimed properly. European lighting regulations allow for a very sharp light/dark cutoff. If the lamps are aimed properly, the cutoff remains below the eye level of oncoming drivers. If due to improper adjustment or load that cutoff gets above the eye level of oncoming drivers, you're not just dealing with glare, you've got the full power of the low beam in your face.

On domestic vehicles that have lights with photometrics similar to e-code lights, how they are aimed becomes crucial. It could be that the new GM trucks have a more pronounced light/dark cutoff. The lights are aimed with the bed empty, so the least bit of payload raises the cutoff to the point that it's above the eye level of oncoming drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back