New GM Recall of 6 Million Pickups and SUVs for Takata Inflator

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Monday that General Motors must recall and repair any vehicle equipped with Takata air bag inflators, per AP.

Why it matters: The government agency said GM must recall nearly 6 million pickup trucks and SUVs from the 2007–2014 model years. Despite the automaker's multiple appeals to the NHTSA, this new regulation will cost the company around $1.2 billion.

“Based on this information and information provided to the petition’s public docket, NHTSA concluded that the GM inflators in question are at risk of the same type of explosion after long-term exposure to high heat and humidity as other recalled Takata inflators,” the NHTSA said in a prepared statement

Got the Takata bags changed in my Saab last year. Took it to the Cadillac dealer. Had to wait >a year. It made me uneasy to drive it knowing there was a grenade attached to a balloon aimed at my face.

My '04 Odyssey was in the shop about four times for this issue. The first time they just replaced the defective inflator with a new defective inflator, until they could get parts that would permanently fix the problem. They did the drivers and passenger side on different visits due to non-availability of parts. By the fourth or fifth visit, they had both sides taken care of.

Not long afterwards my SRS light would light up occasionally and the airbag clockspring started making noise. Coincidence? I think it had a lot to do with taking the steering wheel apart several times. Huge hassle, I hope they get these sorted out.

The rest of the story as told to GM employees (which I am) on our intranet news is that GM tested these parts under severe simulations from high heat, humidy - you name it and they performed as designed. GM feels there is no reason to recall...but rather fight the case and upset consumers...GM will do as directed at a high cost.

The rest of the story as told to GM employees (which I am) on our intranet news is that GM tested these parts under severe simulations from high heat, humidy - you name it and they performed as designed. GM feels there is no reason to recall...but rather fight the case and upset consumers...GM will do as directed at a high cost.
Some certainly excel at spending OPM

You should receive a letter. Also you can call the dealer with your VIN and have them check and see if it is under the recall.
OK I don't remember receiving a letter.. but I will call the dealer and have them check my VIN (haven't used them in years!)
Are you telling me my airbag is good to go and to ignore the hassle of the recall?

Ford Ranger, 05-06GT, 05-14 Mustang, off the top of my head. Mazda also had RX-8s, CX-7, CX-9, 6, and Speed 6 as well as the B-Series.
Do you know if it was all Rangers or just a certain year range? I know it happened right around the time my friend sold his 2001 Ranger, but can't remember if his was impacted by it or not.

OK I don't remember receiving a letter.. but I will call the dealer and have them check my VIN (haven't used them in years!)

Are you telling me my airbag is good to go and to ignore the hassle of the recall?
No I am not. I was just explaining that GM disagrees with the government mandate but are following it. I would still get your truck looked at regardless.

Back