New GM "Long Life" oil spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know where I can get ahold of GM's new GM-LL-A-025 oil spec? I've been lead to believe that it's even more stringent than the ACEA A3 & A5 specs, but I can't locate it anywhere to verify. I guess I'd also need to know the details of any new tests required in the new spec, right?

Thanks for any help.

wow, it must be tough. 30,000km intervals it prety long for an oil to be required to last.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
A quick search of the internet shows it to be a European spec used by some Opel and Saab models with 30,000km oil change intervals. Of oils available in the US, it seems only Mobil1 0W40 qualifies.

Hmmm...another tough OEM requirement that the only oil sold in the US meets is Mobil 1 0w40. This is more evidence of just how good this oil is. When it's time to change the Rotella T Syn in my Chrysler, I think I'm going with this oil.

Here are the other oils marketed in Europe that meet this GM-LL-A-025 Longlife spec. (NB: Mobil 1 0w40 is the only Xw40 oil that meets the spec.)

Opel LONGLIFE 0w30
Mobil 1 Long Life 0w30 (A Mobil 1 grade sold in Europe specifically to meet this spec.)
Mobil 1 0w40
Titan Supersyn SL 0w30
Elf Evolution SXR 0w30
Shell Helix Ultra G-A025 0w30
Castrol Formula SLX GM 0w30
Veedol Syntron GM 0w30
BP Visco 7000 GM 0w30

I can't see Mobil 1 0w40 lasting 30,000km (which is almost 20,000 miles) It thins out so fast even in just 5-6k.

I'm disapointed it thins out so quickly as this was going to be the oil I use in the summer months. It does thicken back up as time goes on though. The whole Mobil line up thins out.

Their 10w30 doesn't tend to thin out at all (unless fuel dilution comes into play), and their 5w30 seems pretty stable now too.

Someone wrote:

quote:

another tough OEM requirement that the only oil sold in the US meets is Mobil 1 0w40

Be careful with your words, be very careful.

Since you used the words meets I'll bet there are a few more oils that meet this spec. Oils better than Mobil 1 0W-40.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Someone wrote:

quote:

another tough OEM requirement that the only oil sold in the US meets is Mobil 1 0w40

Since you used the words meets I'll bet there are a few more oils that meet this spec. Oils better than Mobil 1 0W-40.

That's not a hint is it?
wink.gif

It does sound as though the Mobil 0w40 is a good oil. I would also be concerned about its apparent inability to hold its viscosity.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I can't see Mobil 1 0w40 lasting 30,000km (which is almost 20,000 miles) It thins out so fast even in just 5-6k.

Patman, I feel that you will see if you ran this oil for about 15,000 or so, that yes it would thin out a little, but after about 10K or so would begin to thicken up. gradually, to which it would be just right.

It is very evident that this is what the Amsoil 0w30 does as well. If you analize it early it will be thin, then gradually thicken up.

I don't see why the 0w40 couldn't run 20,000+ miles. Though in my opion, I would really like to see a filter change or two in there somewhere, just to keep the vis. and the additives in check.

Cheerio
cool.gif

But in a recent thread on here, someone asked Terry Dyson if it was safe to run an oil that thins out and then thickens up again, and if the oil offered just as good protection and the answer was no. It makes sense, because if it's thinning out that means the VII is breaking down, and if it's thickening up that would probably mean the oil is oxidizing quite a bit also.

Does Mobil's new 0w-30 also thin like the 0w-40? Also, from an ingredient perspective, what causes Mobil's synthtic oils to thin relatively more than others?

quote:

Someone wrote:

quote:

Pablo, I'm talking about oils that have actually been tested against the spec and meet it, not oils that play word games and say "recommended for applications that require _____"

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I've only seen two UOAs of the 0w40 on here, and only in one (a Toyata engine with the gear driven cams) did the oil thin out of grade. The other, in the Impalla SS with an LT1, the oil was still a strong 40wt after 7000+ miles. These two UOAs hardly show this oil to have any sort of propensity to thin out "so fast." As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out until we get more UOAs on Mobil 1 0w40.

G-man - I understand what you are saying. But the point is that when Amsoil does say it meets this or that performance spec, they have tested or had a lab test to the spec.

Where the word games kick in are "meets" vs. "approved by". Amsoil doesn't like to pay/play the "approved by" game.

quote:

G-man - I understand what you are saying. But the point is that when Amsoil does say it meets this or that performance spec, they have tested or had a lab test to the spec.

Where the word games kick in are "meets" vs. "approved by". Amsoil doesn't like to pay/play the "approved by" game.

Show me any Amsoil grade where they say it "meets" MB 229.5 or this new GM Longlife spec.

If you were planning to keep a vehicle well past 100,000 miles, would you do 15,000 - 20,000 mile oil changes? I sure as hell wouldn't! Especially with short trip driving primarily.

I would certainly verify it using analysis, but I intend to keep my Impala for well past 100k miles, and if I find an oil lasts 10-15k and keep wear within specs, I would do it.

Actually Dagmando, Amsoil is quite slow on some of these more "obscure" (to the average USA person, not us) specs. There isn't a whole lot of rush - I have seen, more than once, where they tested stuff but don't have it posted right away.

My point for asking HQ is just to see if they are thinking about it, or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back