New GM "Long Life" oil spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
G-man - good question. I have not seen corp. make the claim to meet either. Dunno if they are in test or what. So I quickly shot an email off. I'll keep ya posted.

Pablo, I have yet to see any Amsoil literature that states their oils meet any specs. Every page on the corp website for each oil simply says "Recommended for applications requiring..." and then gives a list of specs. This is NOT the same thing as saying the oil MEETS the spec.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Another question to ask is:

Will this , or is this oil, the same oil in NA as it will be in Europe?

If you're talking about the Mobil 1 0w40, the answer is yes. Mobil has stated that this is their one grade of Mobil 1 that is truly a "global formula" and is the same wherever it is sold.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Thanks G-Man,

I hadn't seen that statement.

It was in a press release or article I read awhile back. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm surprised the S2000 doesn't meet this spec. with it's 35k mile drain. What are the requirements for this spec. other then the 35k mile drain?
smile.gif

[ January 28, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

G-man II wrote:
quote:

Pablo, I have yet to see any Amsoil literature that states their oils meet any specs. Every page on the corp website for each oil simply says "Recommended for applications requiring..." and then gives a list of specs. This is NOT the same thing as saying the oil MEETS the spec.

I'm not sure why the web site says it that way. I honestly don't think it was for "legal" or for "weasel" reasons (as so many folks here want to imply). I think it's an attempt to appeal to some level of average Joe/Jane. I have all the written product spec sheet (on real paper) and these specifications say "MEET and EXCEED". Call Amsoil (800 956-5695), give them #515729 and ask for any spec sheet.

da Buster wrote:
quote:

I'm surprised the S2000 doesn't meet this spec. with it's 35k mile drain. What are the requirements for this spec. other then the 35k mile drain?

I'll bet you a donut that it does. That's why I asked Amsoil HQ. Still no response. Amsoil HQ needs to get off their collective backsides and sharpen up to support me (I'm going selfish here!
wink.gif
)

quote:

Where the word games kick in are "meets" vs. "approved by". Amsoil doesn't like to pay/play the "approved by" game.

If Amsoil meets the standards, they would quickly add that to their advertising. Nobody, even Amsoil, is going to purposly leave out free advertising of meeting specs just "because." It is just business, Amsoil publishes every spec they meet. If they do not published it, it doesn't meet it, that just the way it is. If they do not want to spend the $$ for the test, they can't back up what they "think" they meet based in in-house test.

[ January 28, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

Thanks for the replies so far. Let me know if anyone digs anything up, & I'll do the same. (I've already sent an email to GM Corp asking for any info, so I'll let everyone know when I get the response.) I'm not really looking for any oils which meet the spec, only for information on the spec itself. Yes, I also did (several) internet searches before I posted the question, but, like Williar & G-Man II, only came up with products matching the spec. Here's a little more oil info to go along with what's already been listed:

Aral Lubricants' "SuperTronic G SAE 0W-30" full syn meets the spec, as well as meeting ACEA A3/B3/B4 & API SL/CF.

The Saab OE 0W-30 full syn meets the spec, as well as meeting ACEA A1/A5 & API SL/CF. This is reported to be rebadged Mobil 1, but since the US M1 0W-30 doesn't carry the GM spec, I'd assume one of two things:
1) It's Euro M1 in a Saab OE bottle, or
2) GM & Mobil have an agreement to let GM sell the oil thru their dealer networks as OE oil for a while (1yr? 2yrs?) since it's a GM-created GM/Saab/Opel spec.

I'm currently running the M1SS 0W-40 in my '99 Saab 2.0L 4cyl turbo. I put it in 6wks ago & I'll run it for a total of 10k miles & then do an analysis, but that's not going to be for another 10-12 months. Sorry.

[
quote:

I though the Series 2000 does not meet the API specs because the high ash count.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
What are the requirements for this spec. other then the 35k mile drain?

That's what I'm trying to find out. It's being referenced in at least some of the '03 manuals in conjunction with GM's latest iteration of their Oil Life Monitor. This is the way the '03 Saab manual words it:

"To ensure optimum engine performance, with regard to lubrication, the ability to dissolve residues and the neutralisation of combustion products in the oil, for a service interval of 18,000 miles (30,000 km) or a maximum of 2 years, the engine oil used must fulfil GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline engines) or GM-LL-B-025 (diesel engines)."

This is a GM/Saab/Opel spec, so there's no way to know where it deviates from already established specs until a copy of it is found.

I sent a question to Amsoil yesterday asking them if any of there oils meet the MB 229 spec. I did not receive a response yet, which is unusual bc they always get back to me in one day. Where is Tooslick, he might know?

Folks here's some answers from an insider at Amsoil that I have managed to develop a rapport with:

"We (Amsoil) have not tested our oils against GM’s GM-LL-A-025."

For Buster:

"Mercedes specifications 229.1, 229.3, 227.0/1, 228.0/1, 228.2/3, and 228.5 all relate to test conditions designed to evaluate elongation, tensile strength, hardness, and volume of elastomers. It doesn’t relate to anything else."

Hope this helps.

[ January 29, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Folks here's some answers from an insider at Amsoil that I have managed to develop a rapport with:

"Mercedes specifications 229.1, 229.3, 227.0/1, 228.0/1, 228.2/3, and 228.5 all relate to test conditions designed to evaluate elongation, tensile strength, hardness, and volume of elastomers. It doesn’t relate to anything else."

Hope this helps.

It sure does help. It helps me to have even less an opinion of Amsoil, since this insider obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and has no scruples about spreading false information.

So what does it elvaluate then? Why have less an opinion of Amsoil? It makes sense. MB looks for those things above in an oil. Amsoil is not a mass market oil. It most likely would be approved by MB. You have to remember, Amsoil is not some secret formulation. It is simply ExxonMobil PAO + Lubrizol's additive package. Both are the two top producers of each in there respective industry.

I sent a message to Amsoil asking them the same question around the same time msparks did and basically got the same response:

quote:

Mercedes sheet 229.1 and 229.3 refer to European specifications. They do not apply to Mercedes automobiles in North America. Because of this, you should go by the proper American Petroleum Institute classifications specified in your owner's manual.

Meeting this spec means nothing. Amsoil is a smaller "specialty" company. All the big oil giants are the main ones that make the list. The second half of the response was exaclty the same as msparks's response about elongation, tensile strength etc....

[ January 30, 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I sent a message to Amsoil asking them the same question around the same time msparks did and basically got the same response:

quote:

Mercedes sheet 229.1 and 229.3 refer to European specifications. They do not apply to Mercedes automobiles in North America. Because of this, you should go by the proper American Petroleum Institute classifications specified in your owner's manual.

Meeting this spec means nothing. Amsoil is a smaller "specialty" company. All the big oil giants are the main ones that make the list. The second half of the response was exaclty the same as msparks's response about elongation, tensile strength etc....

Buster,

This quote from Amsoil is flat out wrong. MB of North America requires synthetic oils that meet 229.3 for all cars sold in North America that have the Flexible Service System. (This makes three statements from Amsoil posted on here in the last 24 hours that are completely erroneous.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back