New GM engine oil, use it or void your warranty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of the GM haters, here's a quote directly from the article.
Quote:
But let’s not be too quick to admonish GM for requiring this new oil or speculate that this is bound to drive away potential customers. The reality is that the cost for an oil change will be going up for everyone. That’s because we're in the launch period for a new-and-improved oil standard, which will eventually be commonplace across the industry.

The engines I'd be worried about are the DI and the Turbo'd engines. That's why they expect better oil. Heck, they can't get most people to simply change their oil. They are basically covering their butts on this one.

Expect pretty much all the rest of the automakers to follow this one. Those who don't are going to find issues....

VW said the same thing when I had my TDI. I had to run specific 505.01 compatible oil, or it voided the warranty. The rules out a lot of stuff. It is not GM specific. Man the GM haters are out tonight.

Im glad GM went this route. They want good oil going into their cars so to enforce it is right. And there are a lot of dexos1 oils to choose from that are all fantastic. So does it matter? The SOPUS products are cheap and are dexos1, shouldnt be a big deal.

Originally Posted By: whip
For all of the GM haters, here's a quote directly from the article.
Quote:
But let’s not be too quick to admonish GM for requiring this new oil or speculate that this is bound to drive away potential customers. The reality is that the cost for an oil change will be going up for everyone. That’s because we're in the launch period for a new-and-improved oil standard, which will eventually be commonplace across the industry.

That's interesting.

I just bought 8 more jugs of oil that EXCEEDS the GF-5 spec for $10 an 5qt jug...

That's cheaper than GF-4 oil that I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Bill

i only buy from detroit...i see no problem with this, people just like to complain...they are concentrating on quality now and yet people still whine

i hope people run dexos oil in those new cruze turbos but of course they will blame GM when engine cruds up on conventional or minimum OCs

Was there a huge rash of GM engines blowing up do to "substandard" oil? If there wasn't, I'm not sure why GM did this dexos thing except to find another way to deny warranty claims.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: spasm3
i won't be buying any more gm or union built vehicles

Nor will I!

I can hear GM crying
33.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Quote:

If there wasn't, I'm not sure why GM did this dexos thing except to find another way to deny warranty claims.

Right, creating a spec to assure minimum level of lubricating performance to meet the new demands of engine technology seems pretty outrageous.

Originally Posted By: JOD
That's a pretty significant obfuscation of what the article actually says:

"Further, GM says that if a customer has an engine failure that is traced to oil or lubrication issues, and if the customer does not use dexos 1 oil in their gasoline-powered GM vehicle, that act alone could void the warranty"

I don't know of a single auto manufacturer who doesn't have similar verbiage.

This is just looking for something to be mad about, IMO...

My thoughts exactly. This is NOTHING out of the ordinary.

Maybe I'm missing but by 2012 GF-5 and I assume the comparable API spec will be specified by all companies. And like anything else the manufacturer has to (in theory) prove (Magnuson Moss Warranty Act), that the vehicle owner was responsible for the failure.

Nothing to see here folks....move along.

Nor will I!

Me either - well, at least until the two I have wear out, which should take a while after I switch them to dexos1.

What happened to mr. stickler for 505.01 and anything else will blow up your fancypants PD cam, and look at these pics under my VC and I will argue with you alll day about how 505.01 is magical oil, actual magic.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Nor will I!

I can hear GM crying
33.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Not personally affected by this: not in the new car market, and by the time I'm caught up to the 2011 models this will already be an old and likely out-dated spec. Meantime all the brand name oils far exceed the API SJ spec my 2000 calls for, so I will pick and choose with impunity, dexos being entirely irrelevant to me (same as with the various European specs).

But its fun to watch from the sidelines and throw popcorn. :)

-Spyder

This is a lot to do about nothing. This is SOP for all car mfg's. Nothing new here except GM introduced a new oil spec. Use an oil that meets the new spec if called for, just as we do for the other spec's our cars call for now, and move on.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
This is a lot to do about nothing. This is SOP for all car mfg's. Nothing new here except GM introduced a new oil spec. Use an oil that meets the new spec if called for, just as we do for the other spec's our cars call for now, and move on.

+1
18.gif
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back