New GDI Engines with Loose Fitting Rings / Pistons (Meeting CAFE = Oil Consumption & More Wear) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago when gas was cheap,manufacturers made a lot of money as the consumer started chasing large SUV's and large PU trucks.Now gas is back up.The rings,piston dimension fit and thin oil to meet the CAFE rules ,makes you wish for some of the old vehicle sizes
I just sold my minivan to cash on used vehicle market situation.
Even when we had it, my BMW did all the work around town. We used Tiguan for all trips that were not multi day stay somewhere.
I never understood trend of hauling family with lumbering V8 SUV. I get people tow, but most don’t.

I just sold my minivan to cash on used vehicle market situation.
Even when we had it, my BMW did all the work around town. We used Tiguan for all trips that were not multi day stay somewhere.
I never understood trend of hauling family with lumbering V8 SUV. I get people tow, but most don’t.
Well, for hauling yard wastes, picking up bulky items from hardware stores, etc. I have a utility trailer... Four door sedans for all the other duties...

Attachments

• PXL_20211203_045209186~3.jpg
    PXL_20211203_045209186~3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20211202_072702354.jpg
    PXL_20211202_072702354.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 6
Well, for hauling yard wastes, picking up bulky items from hardware stores, etc. I have a utility trailer... Four door sedans for all the other duties...
I don’t have those needs. When I was doing my backyard (rocks, trees, sod etc.) I just rented Home Depot truck. Actually most Sod was hauled by my VW CC :)

This is not limited to h/k. GM, Volvo, and a couple others I think have run into the exact same situation when attempting lower tension rings.

This is not limited to h/k. GM, Volvo, and a couple others I think have run into the exact same situation when attempting lower tension rings.

It is probably not limited to GDI engines either as the thread title states. All new engines will have the same features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back