New GC Club Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intense peer pressure, combined with a strong desire to fit in around here, caused me to make an unplanned visit to the local AutoZone. I found the 0W30 Syntec, checked the backside, and was excited to see the "Made In Germany" label. While waiting in line, I was tempted to say to the guy in line next to me: Ha, I've got GC, and you don't! But I refrained. I also wondered if the check out guys were impressed with my purchase, or if they just thought I was another BITOG knucklehead with a GC addiction.

After getting home, and the buzz started to wear off, I started planning the next oil change. I have always used synthetics, and since I drive 15-20K per annum, I have found that changing the oil each Spring and Fall works very well (7-10K OCI). I am excited about how the 0W30 will work this winter (Chicago). But, then I started to wonder about the Spring oil change. Can the magical, mythical elvin oil handle a turbo motor in the summer heat(Volvo XC90, T5 turbo)? I typically switch to a slightly thicker oil for the summer. Also, while my vehicle is not a high performance machine, the tiny 2.5 litre 5 cylinder does haul around a lot of vehicle. Any concerns for GC in this application during the summer?

Oh, and since I am new to Club GC, can some please show me the secret GC handshake?

Too funny. This is how I felt buying GC for the first time. And, as to your question, if there is no oil loss, you shouldbe just fine. Chicago doesn't get THAT hot anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by DockHoliday:
The intense peer pressure, combined with a strong desire to fit in around here, caused me to make an unplanned visit to the local AutoZone. I found the 0W30 Syntec, checked the backside, and was excited to see the "Made In Germany" label. While waiting in line, I was tempted to say to the guy in line next to me: Ha, I've got GC, and you don't! But I refrained. I also wondered if the check out guys were impressed with my purchase, or if they just thought I was another BITOG knucklehead with a GC addiction.

After getting home, and the buzz started to wear off, I started planning the next oil change. I have always used synthetics, and since I drive 15-20K per annum, I have found that changing the oil each Spring and Fall works very well (7-10K OCI). I am excited about how the 0W30 will work this winter (Chicago). But, then I started to wonder about the Spring oil change. Can the magical, mythical elvin oil handle a turbo motor in the summer heat(Volvo XC90, T5 turbo)? I typically switch to a slightly thicker oil for the summer. Also, while my vehicle is not a high performance machine, the tiny 2.5 litre 5 cylinder does haul around a lot of vehicle. Any concerns for GC in this application during the summer?

Oh, and since I am new to Club GC, can some please show me the secret GC handshake?

Yep, it's like the first time you fall in love. In my case, my GC addiction came in two stages. First, I kept reading about the wonders of this oil, so I went down the AZ and bought 9 quarts. Upon my return home, I proudly announced to my wife that I had just spent over $45.00 on motor oil. That cost me a some flowers and a night on the couch, but it was worth it. Still somewhat skeptical about the wonders of GC, I then put it in my '99 Honda. It ran more smoothly and quietly than I had ever felt. Even the wife noticed, stating that the engine felt as though "someone had installed pillows in it." Stage 2 addition then set in; I traded in my entire oil stash for the equivalent amount of GC. I now have a stash of 55 quarts in the basement that I visit regularly between oil changes. And I'm still married.

Ixnay onway the ecretsay andshakeay
pat.gif

quote:

Hey Newbie,

It's not a club.
spaz.gif
It's a cult!!
shocked.gif

The local AZ guy asked what I was doing buying 9 quarts of oil. I told him that he wouldn't believe me if I told him. Maybe I should have explained.

I would think the slightly thicker GC would be great in a turbo engine, especially in the summer, but I will wait for those with more knowledge to respond.

My engine is a Subaru 2.0 l, btw.

My modest "stash" of GC is a lot of oil to someone who isn't in the club/cult, but it's a mere oil drop compared to the real hoard, er, collector.

Best part, my wife assists me with sorting through the oil at AZ.

One word of advice: If you want to return the GC gold you bought to make room for the last of the GC green, don't return it to a store you haven't checked yet. I had to sort through every bottle that I know they got from me!

Now, about that handshake....

Heh, this is exactly how I felt when I started my GC hunts. I actually had an AutoZone employee stare at me for a few seconds and then say "You're one of those German Castrol people, arn't you?" lol I guess they don't get many people sorting through 0w30 looking for GC Green.

After awhile you'll start grabbing the GC Green members are selling on BITOG and soon have a big stash. I have 40+ quarts of GC Green and 20+ quarts of GC Gold.
tongue.gif

Yeah, pscholte - what is the secret GC handshake?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Yeah, pscholte - what is the secret GC handshake?
smile.gif

OK Here goes...you put four drops of GC on the outside and eight drops on the inside of your hand; then each GC devotee quickly slides the outside of their hand, then the inside against their fellow GC devotee's hand and then they slap their palms together with enough vigor to create an audible splat. It works really well, except for buster...he found that the GC made his handshakes kind of sluggish...
wink.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome.

My reason for choosing GC really has little to do with all of the hype. My goal is to find a single oil that I can run all year long, and in everything I own (car, boat, lawnmower). I have used Amsoil 0W30 and 5W30 in recent years, along with Mobil 0W40 and 5W30. While the Amsoil proudcts did very well, they are expensive, and I don't care for the "preferred customer" program. I really just want a quality oil that is affordable and easy to obtain. I was going to go with M1, but now that the local AZ sells GC, I thought I would give it a try. My Volvo XC90 is currently filled with Amsoil 15W40 marine and deisel oil (left over from the boat). I will replace the Amsoil with the GC in Nov, which should be around 7,500 miles on the Amsoil. I will then change the GC at 7,500 miles, which should be around May, 2007. I will send in a sample of the GC in April, and make my decision which oils to use based on the results.

quote:

... Can the magical, mythical elvin oil handle a turbo motor in the summer heat(Volvo XC90, T5 turbo)? I typically switch to a slightly thicker oil for the summer. Also, while my vehicle is not a high performance machine, the tiny 2.5 litre 5 cylinder does haul around a lot of vehicle. Any concerns for GC in this application during the summer?

I wouldn't have any concerns at all...GC is a "thick" 30-weight oil and should provide plenty of protection for your engine during the hottest months of the year. I run GC year-round in my Subaru WRX STi (2.5L turbo, 300HP) and my Subie really seems to love the stuff...especially during the warmer months.

Welcome to the GC Club!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

My reason for choosing GC really has little to do with all of the hype.

Not even a little bit?...bummer
grin.gif

Well, OK, the hype does make purchasing motor GC a lot of fun. But I am not an addict, and I don't have a problem, and I don't need a 12 step program. I could return the stuff to AZ if I wanted to! I just choose not to!
grin.gif

quote:

Well, OK, the hype does make purchasing motor GC a lot of fun. But I am not an addict, and I don't have a problem, and I don't need a 12 step program. I could return the stuff to AZ if I wanted to! I just choose not to!
grin.gif

Don't you even THINK about taking it back!
grin.gif

Wow, I'm even sicker than you guys. When the "Great Green Hunt" was on, I bought 50 quarts of the green. It has patiently been "resting" in a controlled environment, becoming sweeter, more delicate, but with a dark, robust "I'll kick wear in the hiney" attitude. Enter a 12th wedding anniversary, and a new 06 Envoy. 7 quarts were recently cracked and poured with confidence; the angels sang, the Elves undoubtedly danced, and Mr.Straight Six sings praises daily in smooth quiet appreciation. I have confidence in telling my better 3/4 to just watch for the wrench next to the oil can on the dash, and let me know when it lights. GC rules this GM...

i must say, you guys are out of your dang minds! lol. its hilarious to read these posts though.

anyways, whats with the GC Green "hunting"... is the new GC Gold not as good as the old Green?

i was thinking of getting GC for my Lexus, but am now concerned about this GC Gold issue.

Gentlemen,
I don't know what year your Volvo is, but my wife drives a 2003 Volvo XC90. It has the 5 cylinder turbo in it. So it is probably the same vehicle. We bought it last year, gently used at about 37,000 miles. It has 57,000 miles on it now, with about 15,000 of those miles using Castrol 0w-30.

No problems to report from the oil. It seems to work well. I could see a little varnish inside the engine when we got it. Hard to see much though, since that metal vent blocks your vision. I leave it in for a 5,000 mile interval. It doesn't use much oil over that interval, I've never had to add any to top up. When we drove down to New Orleans and back earlier this year, I'd estimate it consumed about 1/4 of a quart. The engine does sound smooth in it. My local indie Volvo shop hasn't detected any leaks or other problems. The oil seems to be getting the job done. I plan to use it in winter, too. He thinks synthetic is good for the engine, and suggests the 5,000 mile interval, but he hasn't voiced any particular concerns or enthusiasm for the GC. Their shop oil is Valvoline, but has no problems with me bringing this in.

I don't know what the first owner used on the lease. It does appear to have removed some of the visible varnish over the 15,000 miles. He said he hasn't noticed any signs of sludge when draining it, that is, no chunks of goo coming out when draining.

Volvohead is the one who needs to chime in here.

I know the manual calls for 5w-30 (10w-30 for hot weather, which would apply to us down South), over a 7,500 mile interval. That would seem too long to me. Anyway, the engine does sound good, we get anywhere from 20 to 25 mpg depending on how much in town driving it endures. Most days it has a 25 mile commute to and from her job, most of that highway miles.

When I have bought it at the neighborhood AutoZone, the kid at the counter asked if I had a BMW. Apparently some other BMW guys around here also buy it.

It has my vote.

Signed,
Jett Rink in Bristol

I went to South Haven, Mich the other night after reading about it. Bought 6 Quarts of the GC gold.. dated M050756.... So then my curiosity with the green became aroused. Started calling around here for the "green" castrol. no luck..
rolleyes.gif

So, I look on the internet at other sites where I have friends/relatives. Found a gal that had some time to kill one evening at the AZ in Fort Collins, CO. Called her back in a few mintues and she found 11 quarts in the back that were the green, dates going back to M02... She saved it back and my cousin bought all 11 quarts for me yesterday. I'll send him some wine.. then he can ship out some oil... sounds good!
grin.gif
Girl at AZ even noticed that it had a green cast to it looking through the site window on the side of the container.

Wonder how it will do in bed??? Perpaps replace other 'lubes'. Never mind the oil stain on the sheets, honey,, they won't rust that way!

Pancakes and eggs fried "in the green"
lol.gif

BTW I DO keep 1 quart up on my computer in our bedroom
grin.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
GC

M02 can be "AC/DC" (amurican/domestic castrol)
If it's got the "sunburst" on the front of the bottle it'll say made in the USA on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back