New GC Castrol pictures (Labeled "Euro formula")

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 10 quarts today from my local AutoZone. It's gold in color w/ a slight tint of green in there. I was impressed with the new bottles labeled "European Formula". Sweet.

I guess some say the Gold isn't quite as good as the green. Well, it still has the 503.01 and that's what's important. We'll have to see after I run a UOA @ 5k.

-

-

Can you get a picture with a dark background with a flash? That will really make the green pop out. Your picture looks like old GC, as it is more of a dark amber when light shines through it rather than gold.

Wow thanks for the pics, ill be running that stuff in my fiance's jetta here soon and maybe ill check it out for my 2002 Tacoma V6 since it likes the slightly thicker stuff.

Don't be surprised if we find that the Gold is better than the Green. The Gold does meet more stringent specs after all (MB 229.5). I've bought some of this stuff (Katrina bottles, MB 229.5 spec on label) already too. I already ran an interval of the Gold GC that was in the more rectangular bottles and it made my VW 1.8T noticeably peppier than 5W-40 oils that I've used.

BTW, it looks like a nice dark beer. I wonder if it tastes as good as it looks!

Quote" BTW, it looks like a nice dark beer. I wonder if it tastes as good as it looks! "
4 out of 5 engines prefer the taste of GC, and the one engine had a dead battery.

JAG wrote: Don't be surprised if we find that the Gold is better than the Green.

Don't be surprised if it isn't, even if it does meet more standards (that would probably depend on what standards that were in place at the time along with what standards they subjected it to testing).

The additive package in the GC gold is not as good as the GC green in my opinion, even if the base product is the same.

Regards,

Rich

Green meets MB 229.3
Gold meets MB 229.3 and 229.5
I have the test standards on my computer to compare and it used to be on Ethyl Corporation's website but is not currently. While it's possible that an oil will fail one or a few of the 229.5 test sequences but pass all on the 229.3 and still better protect an engine than an oil meeting both, but odds are that the one meeting both is better overall. Time will tell how the Green and Gold compare.

We can't look at the Gold and Green VOA's and absolutely conclude the Green has a better additive package. Several top oils have higher than average doses of magnesium compounds and lower than average doses of calcium compounds...M1 T&SUV 5W-40 is one of them.

> I thought the Gold is better than the Green? Proven by the UOAs...

Links? Proof?

Regards,

Rich

JAG said >
> Green meets MB 229.3
> Gold meets MB 229.3 and 229.5
> I have the test standards on my computer to
> compare and it used to be on Ethyl
> Corporation's website but is not currently.
> while it's possible that an oil will fail one
> or a few of the 229.5 test sequences but pass
> all on the 229.3 and still better protect an
> engine than an oil meeting both, but odds are
> that the one meeting both is better overall.
> Time will tell how the Green and Gold compare.

Sure, but an oil produced prior to a new or current standard may have just as easily passed the new standard as the standards in place at the time of its creation. Also, new standards aren't always better than prior standards IMO based on what they are trying to achieve, they may not meet a mileage requirement or an extended drain interval (30k km in the case of 229.5) which I don't necessarily care about. And it is distinctly possible that not meeting a new standard (such as the fuel mileage requirements of 229.5) may actually mean that the oil may protect the engine better.

Personally, I don't hold GC Gold in higher regard since they meet MB 229.3 and 229.5 while GC Green only met MB 229.3 (MB 229.5 didn't even exist when GC Green was introduced).

Besides, I primarily drive BMW's, what do I care about Mercedes Benz's standards... For that matter, all three of them were built from 1990 - 1995, nearly ten years or more prior to the release of some of these new standards.

;-)

Lastly, I hope everyone that is concerned about meeting MB 229.5 are using the fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils?

> We can't look at the Gold and Green VOA's and
> absolutely conclude the Green has a better
> additive package. Several top oils have higher
> than average doses of magnesium compounds and
> lower than average doses of calcium
> compounds...M1 T&SUV 5W-40 is one of them.

I don't disagree, this was one of the knocks against GC at times, that it didn't contain moly, how could it be a good oil if it doesn't contain moly!!

:)

What was found out was that there is more to an oil than just the additive package, the base oil certainly accounts for a lot.

But, assuming that GC Gold has the same base formula as GC Green, and the only difference is the additive package, I do believe some potential conclusions can be formed. Again, I am not saying GC Gold isn't any good, it just might not be as good as GC Green but it is still a terrific oil.

Regards,

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back