New fuel storage cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I know this topic comes up from time to time so my apologies if I'm boring you, but I just had to 'vent'..

I've been lucky in that the past 30+ years I've been using the same 5gal and smaller plastic fuel cans. They work great.

Having teenage boys doing odd jobs and using OPE, my trusty little ~1gal plastic can I use for premix came up missing. Of course no one knows anything. It vanished into thin air.
mad.gif

Wanting to replace it I picked up a little ~1gal midwest can company model. What an absolute abomination this thing is! It's about impossible to use without dribbling or spilling fuel and you need extra limbs and fingers to even get it to start spill... I mean dispense fuel! I want to throw it every time I use it.

I thought the manufacturers did this to storage cans for the environment, but I suppose it's to make it so if it blows up in your face, the onus of responsibility is not on them because of all these ridiculous dummy features on them?

These environmental cans have been around for years. Like most things, there are good ones and bad ones.
The No-Spill brand is good, but not cheap. There are mods and aftermarket spouts if you wanna trick out a gas can.

In that first video, why is he holding the spout by hand instead of placing the tab on the fill hole as designed?

Edit, with his hand out of the way any fuel that leaks will flow down the outside of the tube into the tank.

Last edited:
just a few cheap yellow vent fixes all, but depending on the shape of said can a little lower filling may be necessary to prevent spillage. i have several cheap wally world cans i fill out of town for less cost + get a top tier gas as well. like many little towns things can be costlier as the locals all keep prices higher on purpose so its very rare to buy gas where i live, heating oil is similar but they got you there!

I agree OP. The new spouts are horrible, prone to leaking and some end up just coming apart. Way too complicated.

I bought a metal jerry can for my OPE gas. The spout was one of the types you had to depress for gas to flow. It broke in two pieces, not to mention previously leaked.

So I replaced it with one of the older metal types that is easy to bend. (From Sportsman's Guide military surplus of all places). Works great now.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The No-Spill brand is good, but not cheap.

+1

Buy one of these, and don't look back.

Bill, for some reason, i had to watch the video 3 times to understand how it works, thanks for posting. I think i will watch it a few more times to be really familiar.

There's gas cans in No Spill Jill's clip?
20.gif

Seriously though. Looks like a great product.

I love those heavy duty metal safety cans. We use those at work. It's just that I hate to have to mess with a funnel. Storing the funnel so it stays clean, etc.

I have 2 no spill 1.25gal cans for premix. Work like a champ even on small tanks such as string trimmers, or chainsaws.

Surecan is better for filling large tanks, ATV, car, etc

[Linked Image from mobileimages.lowes.com]

Originally Posted by JTK

I love those heavy duty metal safety cans. We use those at work. It's just that I hate to have to mess with a funnel. Storing the funnel so it stays clean, etc.

They are available with flexible metal spouts too; 1, 2, 2.5, and 5 gallon, 5/8" or 1" spout. Not cheap, ~$65 on Amazon.

[Linked Image from justrite.com]

Ed

Originally Posted by Rand
I have 2 no spill 1.25gal cans for premix. Work like a champ even on small tanks such as string trimmers, or chainsaws. Surecan is better for filling large tanks, ATV, car, etc

The only thing I didn't care for about the Sure Can, was the possibility of leaking from the bottom pour spout while stored. Leaking can not only be messy, but with gasoline, it's downright dangerous.

Originally Posted by JTK
There's gas cans in No Spill Jill's clip?
20.gif

Seriously though. Looks like a great product.

lol.gif
I also forgot the video was even about gas cans.

I have one newer 1 gallon can for the 50:1 mix that I modified. It originally came with the safety spout which snapped after about a week. I bought a long flexible spout on ebay which threaded right on without issue, and drilled a hole in the rear of the can and added a plastic vent I also bought from ebay. The total was a couple bucks, and now it is a decent little gas can perfect for pouring into the small openings on most 2 stroke equipment. There are lots of videos on youtube about modifying the newer cans so they are easier. I've always spilled more gas with the "environment safe" newer cans over the old style. I'm convinced the oil companies had a say in the design so we'd spill/waste more fuel.

My other cans are older plastic ones. I highly recommend buying them from yard sales if you need gas cans. One of my 2.5 gal cans I got for $1 at a moving sale.

Originally Posted by glock19
I use a TeraPump. It's not cheap, but I haven't spilled a drop since.

https://www.terapump.net/product-p/trfa01.htm

I could see that being very useful for certain situations like hard to get to fuel tank openings. My grandfather has a Massey Ferguson diesel tractor and the fuel fill is right behind the seat. It's absolutely ridiculous to try and fill it with a full 5 gallon can of diesel that has one of those stupid trickle safety spouts. It's difficult for him to hold it at almost 80 years old, and even in decent physical shape it is a pain for me as well. Just a really awkward angle as you have to basically stand on the draw bar to fill it. Not sure who designed that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back