New fuel economy standards for 2016 = +30%

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON - New cars and trucks will have to get 30 percent better mileage starting in 2016 under an Obama administration move to curb emissions tied to smog and global warming, sources said Monday.

President Barack Obama was expected to adopt the higher mileage standards on Tuesday, administration sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity ahead of the official announcement.

The new requirement will mark the first time that limits on greenhouse gases will be linked to federal standards for cars and light trucks.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

While the 30 percent increase would be an average for both cars and light trucks, the percentage increase in cars would be much greater, according to the New York Times, rising from the current 27.5 mpg standard to 42 mpg starting in 2016. The average for light trucks would rise from 24 mpg to 26.2 mpg.

California, 13 other states and the District of Columbia had earlier urged the federal government to let them enact more stringent standards than the federal government's requirements. The states' regulations would cut greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent in new cars and trucks by 2016.

Will phase in new standards
Administration sources said the Obama administration will adopt the 30 percent goal with the 2016 deadline, and will phase it in starting with 2011 vehicle models.

Environmentalists praised the move. Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, called it "one of the most significant efforts undertaken by any president, ever, to end our addiction to oil and seriously slash our global warming emissions."

Daniel Weiss, director of climate strategy at the Center for American Progress, described it as "a triple play: It will help move America off foreign oil, save families money and spur American businesses to take the lead in developing the job-creating, clean-energy technologies of the future."

Obama's plan also would effectively end litigation between states and automakers. The latter had opposed state-specific rules, arguing that having to meet several state standards would be much more expensive for them than just one federal rule.

The Detroit News reported that automakers were on board with the new rule because of that, and because they worked with the administration on creating a timeline for the transition.

The new federal rule would also prompt automakers to drop their lawsuit. Two car companies that have been part of the litigation, General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, have received billions in government loans during a plunge in car sales amid a weakened economy.

Top automaker executives are expected to attend the Tuesday announcement, The Detroit News said, as are Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Cars will have to get 53% better mileage, but trucks and SUVs (the most popular vehicles in America) will only have to get 9% better mileage.
crazy2.gif
This is just a continuation of the SUV/truck exemption. I see the manufacturer product mix moving much more towards big SUVs and big trucks. We're back to the 90s again. This is supposed to reduce imports of foreign oil?? Stupid government.

Good in some ways if it allows the market to drive advanced technology, developed locally/in our nation. It will save the average driver over the lifecycle, unless they drastically increase gas taxes.

Bad in many ways too... of course.

As always, the question remains - how will they force people to buy fuel efficient vehicles?... especially since people aren't buying them now. We can build all the econoboxes Washington wants us to, but they do no good sitting unsold on a dealers lot.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
As always, the question remains - how will they force people to buy fuel efficient vehicles?... ....

By raising gas taxes.

As always, the question remains - how will they force people to buy fuel efficient vehicles?... especially since people aren't buying them now. We can build all the econoboxes Washington wants us to, but they do no good sitting unsold on a dealers lot.

You are correct. I wish other people would understand that simple fact.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
As always, the question remains - how will they force people to buy fuel efficient vehicles?... ....

By raising gas taxes.

Oh and there's the answer!

42 mpg in 2016 for cars? the only vehicles that make that are hybrids. GM better building these cars fast
grin2.gif

This is REALLY great information for our struggling auto industry.
smirk2.gif
Nothing like adding more costs during a major down turn in the economy.

Hmmmm...I wonder where they will get the money from??

These rules will end GM for sure. They won't be able to turn a profit w/o their SUV line up and I want to see a Suburban get 10% better fuel economy.

In Europe and elsewhere they have a high fuel guzzler tax. The tax is used to pay for health care and roads. I'm really surprised if it is true that the SUV monstrosities are given a clear advantage in the new fuel consumption laws to be.

The average joe just wants to see over and out accellerate traffic; if the average vehicle is made smaller and slower the delta remains the same and he can still feel "superior" in his recently downsized and underpowered SUV/Van/muscle car/whatever.

The real foothold for econobox acceptance is free registration and insurance making the 2nd commuter car worthwhile. Would be easy for the feds or another "benevolent philosopher dictator" to suggest, but states and insurance companies would fight tooth and nail over their lost fees. An added bonus is there wouldn't be a glut of trade-ins, or "clunkers" the gov't would buy for $4500 with money printed out of thin air.

Just to be clear, are these mpg figures based on EPA ratings or some other ratings gathered specifically for CAFE? They seem too unrealistically high to be EPA ratings...

Originally Posted By: rationull
Just to be clear, are these mpg figures based on EPA ratings or some other ratings gathered specifically for CAFE? They seem too unrealistically high to be EPA ratings...

Reality often has no place in government.

Um, the market will when gas prices go back up this summer. Apparently, you didn't try to trade your declining-in-value SUV in on an economy car that was often difficult to find last summer...

Nobody is going to force me to drive anything that I don't want to drive. I enjoy driving my 2007 Mustang GT and I average 21.5-22.5 in my daily commute. They can impose all these rules, but they cant get rid of used cars and replacement parts.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Um, the market will when gas prices go back up this summer. Apparently, you didn't try to trade your declining-in-value SUV in on an economy car that was often difficult to find last summer...

Yeah, remember those $5-8k Geo Metros from last summer??? Gas is already going back up. When I got my Fit last week, my Honda dealer kept me from getting an Insight by jacking up the price $1000 in a week's time. There's blood in the water.

The govt actually did this as a favor to GM, from wha I read. GM needed to know what the administration had in mind for fuel economy/emissions before it made business decisions that affected whether or not it aimed for bankruptcy. They asked the feds to put their cards on the table.

I don't like what's happening anymore than the rest of you all. But...I think that (if they stay in business) it will push some innovation by carmakers that they had been hesitant to push the "Go" button on. GM's got some great new engines in development. They're already claiming the can get high 30 mpg city mileage out of the new Cruze. That'll make my Fit look like it's sporting a 442.

Originally Posted By: PT1
These rules will end GM for sure. They won't be able to turn a profit w/o their SUV line up and I want to see a Suburban get 10% better fuel economy.

Don't worry about the Suburban:

"Light trucks that exceed 8,500 lbs gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) do not have to comply with CAFE standards. These vehicles include pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and large vans."

From: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back