New from General: Altimax Arctic 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put these on my rear wheel drive BMW in the 205/55R16 flavor. Last weekend I drove to upper state NY in the mountains. There was 2" of snow on a lot of the roads I was driving on, and the car did excellent. I also drove through a parking lot that had about 4-5" of snow and the tires did very well. Starting and stopping was not a problem. For someone who has only owned 4x4s for years, I was very impressed with how capable the car was with these on it.

Discount tire sale last year picked up 4 for my sons '04 CRV. Sales/rebates/DTD card = $228 for all 4 mounted/balanced 205/75/15. I put them on again this year 2 days before surprise dumping that crippled NY area. No issue with grip, plowed right through, no spinning or sliding.

My Son's complaint last year....."It is very hard to play as these don't slide unless you really try HARD. I know it's a good thing for safety but still"

I'm tempted to get them for the Sonata based on price and performance.

Finally had weather to warrant putting the AA12's on and after some road time in the snow, ice and cold, they are even better than the previous model in every way, road noise, handling on all surfaces and grip...it is just better.

I've been very impressed with mine so far in a variety of different conditions.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I put these on my rear wheel drive BMW in the 205/55R16 flavor. Last weekend I drove to upper state NY in the mountains. There was 2" of snow on a lot of the roads I was driving on, and the car did excellent. I also drove through a parking lot that had about 4-5" of snow and the tires did very well. Starting and stopping was not a problem. For someone who has only owned 4x4s for years, I was very impressed with how capable the car was with these on it.

GREAT to hear this, for when I finally do use my set for actual winter conditions use, instead of only for working on summertime gravel ARA rallies!
thumbsup2.gif
smile.gif

These actually make for a decent 'gravel' tire as well (for workers, and the speeds which they traverse the stage roads, NOT for the competitors and the speeds that THEY carry!), due to the higher sidewall strength XL rating, and for the lack of the spongy, way too soft for sharp rocks/abrasive gravel, 'brush-like' micro sipes found on the X-ice 3s/Blizzaks..

And YES, they were quiet on the paved roads on the L-O-N-G highway stretches to the events (and on the 'transit' paved roads on the way to the actual stages), and handled quite well when pumped up to higher pressures than one would run them in the winter.
wink.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back