New formula High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-40 installed in my new Duramax

wwillson

Staff member
@High Performance Lubricants just finished formulating their new HDEO line and I got a stash to run in the new Duramax. Formulating and lab testing took a lot of time and work that paid off with an even better performing formula than their previous HDEO line. Yes, there is real lab data from their in house lab and an independent lab to back it up. Maybe Dave will chime in on the new formula.

I took a sample tonight of the factory oil that I drained at 2,500 miles. I will cut the filter and post here in a few days when it finishes draining. The plan is to run the new HPL oil for about 200 miles, then sample so we can see how much contamination there is from the leftover factory oil, then sample every 5,000 miles and drain when the data shows an oil change is needed. The first 5,000 mile sample should be about August 15th.

20210623_231638090_iOS.jpg

It’s impossible to find a PDS on their site. 2.9 strikes against them.
If I were looking for a boutique 15W40, including especially a CI4+ “legacy oil”, I’d use TRC (Texas Refinery Corp) products. Not the least because they make their product specs easy to find.

Last edited:
Use ALS for uoa's. Their WIX kits are about $12 on Amazon and include TBN and Soot. They have a nice web page that charts al your analysis'.

Wayne, The short version is this oil is part of a range of not 1 but 3 groups of which some are completed and others are in the works that we have to measure before releasing the PDS's. I can however sum it up for you. We will have 3 multi synthetic groups as follows. The first is designed with a warm climate in mind where we focus on volatility Oxidation stability and we utilize a 24 SSI VI Improver. The next group is made with a 5 SSI star polymer VI Improver that will increase shear stability and have better low temperature performance. The last will be predominately blended in Decent based PAO still using a 5 SSI Star polymer for really excellent cold climate properties. Globally with respect to our current product it is based on CK-4 vs CI4 Plus chemistry and has lower wear rates, and increased cleanliness, not that either are an issue. We are always looking for ways to improve. When learning about your new truck I wanted to be sure that you had this as based on our testing it is going to be pretty good.

We are taking the same approach on an additional 3 groups with the same strategy on the gasoline side where we use Dexos 1 Gen 2/ API SP chemistry and apply similar modifications to see the same resulting increases in performance. All of these products and PDS's will be forthcoming. It is a LOT of work since we are making such a vast range of viscosities over the 6 groups total.

David

Last edited:
Wayne, The short version is this oil is part of a range of not 1 but 3 groups of which some are completed and others are in the works that we have to measure before releasing the PDS's. I can however sum it up for you. We will have 3 multi synthetic groups as follows. The first is designed with a warm climate in mind where we focus on volatility Oxidation stability and we utilize a 24 SSI VI Improver. The next group is made with a 5 SSI star polymer VI Improver that will increase shear stability and have better low temperature performance. The last will be predominately blended in Decent based PAO still using a 5 SSI Star polymer for really excellent cold climate properties. Globally with respect to our current product it is based on CK-4 vs CI4 Plus chemistry and has lower wear rates, and increased cleanliness not that either are an issue. We are always looking for ways to improve. When learning about your new truck I wanted to be sure that you had this as based on our testing it is going to be pretty good.

We are taking the same approach on an additional 3 groups with the same strategy on the gasoline side where we use Dexos 1 Gen 2/ API SP chemistry and apply similar modifications to see the same resulting increases in performance. All of these products and PDS's will be forthcoming. It is a LOT of work since we are making such a vast range of viscosities over the 6 groups total.

David

This is what impresses me, looking forward to what's going on with the new oils!

It’s impossible to find a PDS on their site. 2.9 strikes against them.
If I were looking for a boutique 15W40, including especially a CI4+ “legacy oil”, I’d use TRC (Texas Refinery Corp) products. Not the least because they make their product specs easy to find.
I have used HPL oils for over 100,000 miles and have utmost confidence that they are amongst the very best available.

The information you seek will be provided eventually, as in the past.

The new DMAX 2020 and 2021 use the M1-210A. The thread size changed for these model years.
Imagine me trying to install a M1-303 for 20 minutes. Do you know how slippery a filter gets when it's completely covered in oil from my gloves? There may have been some cursing involved. The Duramax from 2020 forward definitely takes a different filter than 2019 and back. I really want to know why it was changed, just why? The M1-210 appears to be smaller than the M1-303.

Last edited:
Imagine me trying to install a M1-303 for 20 minutes. Do you know how slipper a filter gets when it's completely covered in oil? There may have been some cursing involved. The Duramax from 2020 forward definitely takes a different filter than 2019 and back. I really want to know why it was changed, just why? The M1-210 appears to be smaller than the M1-303.
:unsure: No idea why they changed the filter. The availability of the new filters seem to be more limited. For example, I reached out to FRAM tech support to see if an Ultimate was available. This was their reply:

Don, currently we do not show a listing for the 6.6L diesel, only the 6.6L gas engine. I do show the oil filter for the diesel engine is in development, but I have no further information on it at this time. Thank you for chatting with FRAM. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to chat with us again!​

Back