New flavors of Castrol 5w30 and 5w40 found at my local Walmart

I’m saying those high phosphorus content 40 grades that used to get an SN rating, will not get an SP rating. I’m giving the American Petroleum Institute too much importance? :oops:
Many countries, like Australia and New Zealand don’t have their own oil standards, anything sold here either carries API or ACEA, but no need to carry both, even though some do.

For years we have had oil on the shelves with only ACEA specs and no API specs (and vice versa).

My GM-Holden owner’s manual lists only ACEA Euro specs as being suitable and makes no mention of API, but then it is a rebadged Opel.

One of the most popular oils here, that is regularly on sale, and often recommended by the Castrol lube guide is the Edge 5W30 A3/B4 so I can’t see that one going away anytime soon. Thank goodness, it’s one of my favourite oils, running it myself right now.

Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 PDS from Oz

Edge5W30_A3B4_01.png
Edge5W30_A3B4_02.png
Edge5W30_A3B4_03.png
Edge5W30_A3B4_04.png

I’ve seen them at my Walmart recently except the Euro Car one they don’t have any 5W-40 at my Walmart’s hardly even the parts store hardly has any 5W-40 don’t know if it’s just my area or what.

I went to Walmart about two weeks ago and saw a new lineup of motor oils, specifically from Castrol. Looks like they've refreshed some of their labels.

Just thought I would share
There are two versions of 5W-40 for the US market. According to the Castrol PDS search there is a “5W-40 US” and a “5W-40 A3/B3.” Since your photo listed MB 226.5, it is the latter one.

Attachments

• 69AF1033-E535-4B34-819D-93685B19C1EF.png
    69AF1033-E535-4B34-819D-93685B19C1EF.png
    199 KB · Views: 49
  • 681B322B-745C-46DE-83A2-FD30595B3319.png
    681B322B-745C-46DE-83A2-FD30595B3319.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 51
One of the most popular oils here, that is regularly on sale, and often recommended by the Castrol lube guide is the Edge 5W30 A3/B4 so I can’t see that one going away anytime soon. Thank goodness, it’s one of my favourite oils, running it myself right now.

Yeah, the Castrol lube guide has Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 as first choice on just about everything, and as it was used by Mitsubishi, it was my first choice too for nearly everything that came through the door when I worked there.

I only have 2 litres left in my stash, I was wondering how I was going to get through it all, and looks like I got there. I'll have to actually buy my A3/B4 5W-30 now ! But, we just filled our bulk tanks with Repsol 10W-40 - full synthetic and A3/B4. I might have a new favorite oil.

Yeah, the Castrol lube guide has Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 as first choice on just about everything, and as it was used by Mitsubishi, it was my first choice too for nearly everything that came through the door when I worked there.
Yes, Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is my favourite oil, I should stop buying other oils and just stock up on that one.
But, we just filled our bulk tanks with Repsol 10W-40 - full synthetic and A3/B4. I might have a new favorite oil.
That sounds very nice. I’ve always had a soft spot for Repsol since Mick Doohan won the GP on his Repsol Honda

23E0DABD-904B-4FA2-A312-640816961398.jpeg

The Euro Edge 5w30 looked rather unremarkable even when compared to Castrol's Euro 5w40 last time I looked, but it would be a very good choice if you were following a generic 5w30 recommendation I would think. Ford recommends 5w30 for their Ecoboost engines is there a spec with that or just 5w30?

The most current PDS from Castrol Oz web site:
Best to ring up Castrol / Penrite / Valvoline directly, you often get more from them than a simple google search. They sometimes even email you out stuff.

The PDS for our Edge 10W30 A5/B5 didn’t list HTHS or TBN so I rang up Castrol Australia and asked them directly, they played it straight and looked up the numbers and gave them to me, for Edge 10W30 A5/B5 the TBN = 11.2 (way above the A5 min of 8) and HTHS = 3.2 cP.

Lucky its rare for them to answer “sorry, proprietary information” and the guys employed seem to know their stuff. I once rang up Castrol Australia and had a decent conversation about PAO and Ester in synthetic oils and how Castrol has changed its formulation over the years to reflect different usage patterns.

Best to ring up Castrol / Penrite / Valvoline directly, you often get more from them than a simple google search. They sometimes even email you out stuff.

The PDS for our Edge 10W30 A5/B5 didn’t list HTHS or TBN so I rang up Castrol Australia and asked them directly, they played it straight and looked up the numbers and gave them to me, for Edge 10W30 A5/B5 the TBN = 11.2 (way above the A5 min of 8) and HTHS = 3.2 cP.

Lucky its rare for them to answer “sorry, proprietary information” and the guys employed seem to know their stuff. I once rang up Castrol Australia and had a decent conversation about PAO and Ester in synthetic oils and how Castrol has changed its formulation over the years to reflect different usage patterns.
I believe you, just wanna see where is discrepancy. Bcs. if 5W30 has HTHS 3.6cp, 0W30 is probably there too if not higher.

I believe you, just wanna see where is discrepancy. Bcs. if 5W30 has HTHS 3.6cp, 0W30 is probably there too if not higher.
We don’t get the 0W30 so I just went to the Castrol USA web page and found Edge 0W30 A3/B4 (is that the one? they also have C rated 0W30).

Anyway Castrol USA for Edge 0W30 A3/B4 links to this PDS which lists HTHS = 3.5 cP, KV 100 = 12.18 cSt, PP = -60C, FP = 210C and Noack = 8.3 %

Looks like PAO to me with that PP, good low Noack too.

Maybe, and I’m just guessing here, the difference is due to the VII used.

A Group III (5W30) and a Group IV (0W30) have very different viscosity and low temp performance characteristics, so maybe they used different VII chemistry and dosage. I recall a few oil formulators here, previously talking about different viscosity index improvers (VII) and how some increase the HTHS and how others don’t (or don’t increase HTHS to the same degree).

Maybe, and I’m just guessing here, the difference is due to the VII used.

A Group III (5W30) and a Group IV (0W30) have very different viscosity and low temp performance characteristics, so maybe they used different VII chemistry and dosage. I recall a few oil formulators here, previously talking about different viscosity index improvers (VII) and how some increase the HTHS and how others don’t (or don’t increase HTHS to the same degree).
0W30 some 5-6 years ago, when Castrol was more transparent, had HTHS of 3.58.

We don’t get the 0W30 so I just went to the Castrol USA web page and found Edge 0W30 A3/B4 (is that the one? they also have C rated 0W30).

Anyway Castrol USA for Edge 0W30 A3/B4 links to this PDS which lists HTHS = 3.5 cP, KV 100 = 12.18 cSt, PP = -60C, FP = 210C and Noack = 8.3 %

Looks like PAO to me with that PP, good low Noack too.

C3 is confined to EU.
Castrol we currently have is different, but Castrol is notorious to use min requirement for HTHS, basically saying that it just meets that requirement. Same is for 0W40 and other oils.
That is old PDS as it still lists LL01.
This is 2018, no LL01:

Back