New family member.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been wanting to get a dog for my 5 year old. The apartment life wouldn't allow us a pet, but we recently purchased a house and decided to start looking. Our search started and ended at the local animal shelter. I'm glad we decided to adopt from there as the scene is so sad there, all the dogs that will end up being euthanize and what not. Anyway we picked a couple out that seemed to have good temperament and was fairly young, and yesterday we brought our daughter to meet/ play with them to see if she could find a good fit. We ended up with a 1 year old Rat Terrier, who she already named "Joe Joe Biscootie". We will be bringing him home next Friday as Thursdays is the day that they are sent to the vet to be neutered, chipped, and have their shots, and of course our selection wasn't complete until after the vet run had already been made.

Its been 6 years at least since we have had a pet and I am excited to have a four legged furry friend pawing around the house.

IMG-20110929-00197.jpg

You did good! I like the name "Joe Joe".

My buddy came from a shelter as well. They're a great bargain.

Neutered, shots, collar, microchip, a free visit to the vet of my choice (to assure that the animal is healthy as represented by the shelter), and a bag of food for $65.

Fun Fact: Since the economy tanked in 2008 there are more shelter dogs than ever that are highly trained and obedient.

many people have given up their pets -NOT because of bad behavior but because they lost their jobs.

This means the shelter is a great place to find GREAT dogs.

mrsilv04, he is a great bargain IMO. Joe Joes price tag is $125, but comes with the same services performed. I will decline the food though as so many other animals there can use it better then Joe Joe will be able to. We brought a bag to donate to the shelter yesterday when we brought our daughter to meet the prospects and make her decision. I wish I had a big enough place and budget to adopt them all lol.
Funny, growing up our dogs served a purpose and were not viewed as pets, and I thought I would have been desensitized by now lol. Guess not.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I will decline the food though as so many other animals there can use it better then Joe Joe will be able to. We brought a bag to donate to the shelter yesterday when we brought our daughter to meet the prospects and make her decision.

With my shelter, it was a small bag that was only a pound or two... that had been furnished by the manufacturer of Science Diet... just enough to "get you by" until you could get somewhere to hopefully get a bag of...... Science Diet.

Shelters are great. We had to buy our dog with a pedigree, because my mom has severe asthma and we could only get three breeds of dog that wouldn't aggravate it, they don't shed like other dogs. Maltese, Yorky, and Silky Terrier. We ended up with a Pure Bred Australian Silky Terrier, price tag was incredible.

But cats have never bothered her, so a couple years ago after we moved to NY, my parents went to the shelter and got two cats, sisters. Buttons and Bibs, and they are the best cats ever. Buttons is sitting on my lap as I type this on the couch. I don't want to think about what would have happened to them if we hadn't adopted them.

Nice dog! I wish I could bring myself to get another dog. My guy is gone 3 years now, we're just not ready yet!

I got a call from the shelter yesterday, sadly Joe Joe had a heartworm condition that wasnt economical to treat on a dog we would just be adopting. My wife took my daughter back and she picked another dog. A 5 month old "chiweenie" she named Caillou. So he is the one that will be coming home tomorrow, Joe Joe was put down after we decided to opt out due to his condition. I hate decisions like that but it didnt make economical sense with the severity of his condition.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
I got a call from the shelter yesterday, sadly Joe Joe had a heartworm condition that wasnt economical to treat on a dog we would just be adopting. My wife took my daughter back and she picked another dog. A 5 month old "chiweenie" she named Caillou. So he is the one that will be coming home tomorrow, Joe Joe was put down after we decided to opt out due to his condition. I hate decisions like that but it didnt make economical sense with the severity of his condition.

well that succesfully brought my mood down. how sad is that
frown.gif

Hey guys, I thought I would update this thread seeing how I never did. Anyway Caillou came home on the 7th of October, and life has been a blast with him. He and my daughter chase each other around the house most of the day having a blast. An independent vet checkup a couple days after he came home revealed a tape worm, and an ear infection. Figure the shelters vet could have at least said something about the ear infection. Either way the little guy received the rest of his vacs and the tape worm and ear infection are long gone. He is growing like a weed, and I swear is a little bigger every morning I look at him. Here are a few pics:

First night home
IMG-20111007-00227.jpg

Week and a half after coming home
IMG-20111012-00248.jpg

A couple days ago
IMG-20111101-00008.jpg

IMG-20111101-00009.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back