New Extended Guard(XG) Fram filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at filters at Walmart and noticed the new packaging on the XG filters. It now boasts that it has 2 ply's of filtering media and can go for 10k miles. What do you guys think? Marketing to keep up with more and more automobile mfg's introducing OLM's that require longer OCI's?? Here is the link.
http://fram.com/oil-filters/xtended-guard.php

It looks better than your standard Fram. However, I still think if you are to get a $4 filter their are better choices.

Interesting that they have different types of media that is backed with a screen, then have a metal core.
I know other companies have 2 media types, but do they also have a metal screen to back it all?

Originally Posted By: John_K
They spelled "filters" wrong, really inspiring.

John

How about that? When Castrol did something similar, I called them, walked their representative to the error on their website, and they corrected the mistake while I was on the phone. They then sent me six free quarts of Edge and two $44 sweatshirts. I'm hoping Honeywell does the same. Left voicemail.

Update: A Fram representative called me back within 15 minutes of my call to to their 800 number. The gentleman I spoke with, obviously a young man, could not have been more pleasant, and apologized profusely for the error. I told him it wasn't necessary to apologize. He thanked me for the call. He also asked for my address, so we'll see what comes of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Gurney
...He also asked for my address, so we'll see what comes of that.

He may send you a bunch of OCD's...
grin2.gif

I'm no fan of Fram's other filters but the Extended Guard is an entirely different animal, completely unlike any of their other filters, and is as well built as any filter on the market. The medium itself appears very similar to Amsoil's Eao line, that's the first thing that struck me when I cut my first one open. Make no mistake, this is a very rugged, durable filter that is equal to or better than anything else out there in terms of construction quality.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
Make no mistake, this is a very rugged, durable filter that is equal to or better than anything else out there in terms of construction quality.
I don't think anyone here would argue that the XG is not a high quality filter, it just also has a very high cost. I can buy 3 Motorcraft FL820S filters for the price of a single FRAM XG...can I leave it on my motor for 3 times as long?

If FRAM cut their prices in half across the board, they'd be correctly priced.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
I'm no fan of Fram's other filters but the Extended Guard is an entirely different animal, completely unlike any of their other filters, and is as well built as any filter on the market. The medium itself appears very similar to Amsoil's Eao line, that's the first thing that struck me when I cut my first one open. Make no mistake, this is a very rugged, durable filter that is equal to or better than anything else out there in terms of construction quality.

I have NOT dissected an XG filter myself (yet). Metal or paper end caps? How stout is the centertube?

It's interesting that they show that the Tough Guard is better at removing dirt than the Extended Guard. 99% vs 97% per iso 4548-12, what ever that means.

They also show check marks for different oil types, the XG is the only one for synthetic oil but then in the notes they state that all filter types can be used with all oil types. Sounds like up selling to me.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I like my filters like I like my toilet paper......2 ply.

For protection from crud!

Or finger!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
I have NOT dissected an XG filter myself (yet). Metal or paper end caps? How stout is the centertube?
The OP posted the link to the filter. Or is it Fliter?
LOL.gif

Anyway, I'd call it a pretty stout filter with metal endcaps and double layer media reinforced by a metal screen.

Recommended for 10k, and I wouldn't hesitate to run it to that OCI. That said, it's about 8 bucks (7.97 for the anal) at Wally World. Up to the buyer if it's worth that, or they could do better for less, eg. Pure One.

Originally Posted By: westwind999
It's interesting that they show that the Tough Guard is better at removing dirt than the Extended Guard. 99% vs 97% per iso 4548-12, what ever that means.

They also show check marks for different oil types, the XG is the only one for synthetic oil but then in the notes they state that all filter types can be used with all oil types. Sounds like up selling to me.

I think they are correct in listing the Extended Guard (AKA Synthetic oil filter in Canada) as being the filter of choice when using synthetic oil as it's the best built filter they make in terms of extended drains. So it's not so much that you need to use this oil when using synthetic oil if you're only going to do 3-5k intervals, it's just that if you're going to run synthetic AND longer intervals, that filter is the best choice out of their lineup. Upselling maybe, but still good advice. I definitely wouldn't want to run their Extra Guard filter for 10,000 miles (heck I wouldn't even run it for 1000 miles!)

I must admit that I'm tempted to give Fram's best oil filter a try! NAPA Golds for my car are now almost $14, but I've seen these top level Frams on sale at Canadian Tire every few weeks for under $10 (and there are lots of Canadian Tires near me, but I have to drive out of my way to get to a NAPA and they seem to almost never have sales)

But even forgetting all that, and just choosing the filter based on quality, I am wondering if perhaps the top level Fram might actually be a better built filter than the NAPA Gold? Anyone have any thoughts on that comparison?

Quote:
But even forgetting all that, and just choosing the filter based on quality, I am wondering if perhaps the top level Fram might actually be a better built filter than the NAPA Gold? Anyone have any thoughts on that comparison?

It does appear to be a premium grade filter. We don't know the level of filtering ..but many could throw that out the window with figuring that the engine is going to last way long enough with what Fram will provide.

This looks like a very substantial filter. In Canada, it might be the best thing going in terms of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back