New Explorer No more OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I traded in our 2003 EB Explorer 4.0 for a 2006. Just for the record we had 62,000 trouble free miles from the Explorer. Ford has gotten rid of the OLM. The OCI is now 5,000 miles or 6 months and they want you to use 5W30 Motorcraft semi-syn. or equivalent. On the 2003 they had a sticker to remind you to do the first oil change at 3,000 miles. No sticker this time. The dealer said change it at 5,000 and 10,000, 15,000 etc.
I will be gong with Mobil 1 EP at 5,000 miles.The last of the Pep Boys coupon deal. Then on to PP.

Ford never had an OLM. It was merely a "dummy" gauge that counted down from 5000 miles each time you reset the "OLM" to 100%.

No OLM -well they must be using a new counting method. Because it would call for oil changes sometimes at 4250 miles and other times 5500 miles or so. It was never the same mileage for the 62,000 we had the Explorer.
The 4.0 I have had always asked for 5W30. I did notice the 4.6 V8 cars has 5W20 on the oil filler caps.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
No OLM -well they must be using a new counting method.

First you say there is no OLM - now you say they are using a new method. Which is the right answer?

Take your time and read his post carefully. The "new method" he was referring to was on his 2003 Explorer after he noticed that it wasn't coming on at 5000 mile regular intervals as the previous poster suggested.

my wife's 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer (with elctronics gauge package) with 4 liter mid range 6 OLM indicator came on at 3,200 miles of all in town driving. Bit low in my opinion even with conventional oil.

On some cars, the maintenance required light can be set to different mileage intervals.
dunno.gif

quote:

... Ford has gotten rid of the OLM..

I'm not surprized at all. Ford and GM have been decontenting their mid-sized SUV's as time marches on. They are not selling them like they used to so you see all the *little* stuff go away in their attempt to boost the profit margin. Different truck, but my 2005 trailblazer LS has way less bells & wistles than a 2002 TB LS came with.

Joel

quote:

No OLM -well they must be using a new counting method. Because it would call for oil changes sometimes at 4250 miles and other times 5500 miles or so. It was never the same mileage for the 62,000 we had the Explorer.
The 4.0 I have had always asked for 5W30. I did notice the 4.6 V8 cars has 5W20 on the oil filler caps.

Hmm...guess I was wrong then. The only FORD OLM I know of is one in the Ford 500, which I *believe* works by counting down from 5000 miles each time it's reset to 100%.
dunno.gif

If Ford is going to have 5,000 OCIs across the board they might as well have a system that counts down from 5,000. But as I said before on my 2003 Explorer it said I needed to change the oil at different mileages.

My wife's 02 Explorer OLM seems to be in the 5000 range, but it's not exactly that, so I assume it's a little more sophisticated.

The previous owners relied on it for notification and had varying intervals also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back