new european mobil 1 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
yannis,

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like it's heavier than M1 0W-40 and lighter than M1 T&SUV 5W-40. Will be interesting to see if it comes to the North American market and if so, whether it supplements the exisiting line or replaces one of the above-mentioned oils.

Cheers, Mark

All the Euro oils should be here in the states. We now have an expressway full of foreign vehicles. We need Japa oils too.
cheers.gif

Looks interesting, but an HTHS of only 3.8 is kinda weak for an oil of 14.6 cst at 100c.

For comparison, Amsoil 5w40 is 14.5 cst but has a higher HTHS of 4.2

Patman (and others):

I normally review the UAOs as they are posted and I've yet to sit down and really study them grouped by oil brand and weight.

My question is: has a trend emerged from the UOAs whereby lower HTHS oils (or those with lower TBNs have consistently fared poorly in "real world driving," versus those with higher HTHS numbers?

In high horsepower applications like the LS1 family of engines, the higher HTHS oils definitely show lower wear numbers. It's not as critical on a gently driven engine, although a lot of people who are using a 5w40 oil have a higher performance engine, so the HTHS number is obviously more critical to them.

There is nothing new about European M1 5w-40. It is almost unknown and impossible to find in Germany, I can only get mine at a Danish supermaked "A-Z". I have had it in my Audi 80 1.6 for the last 29000 kms, but I am switching to Delvac 1.

rekced, I haven't seen any VW503.01 approved 5w-40 yet.

I telephoned the regional dealer in the nearby town and YES i can order it for 13 euros per litter .He didn't have it readly available (in stock) which of course wasn't a surprise for me.
The Synt S costs a little cheaper and the delvac ...16 euros , ouch!!
I can get a discount if i order a case..hmmm i 'll think about it. I have an other year before my stash runs out of oil.

gr_eek2.gif
16 Euro for 1 liter of Delvac 1?
gr_eek2.gif

gr_eek2.gif
13 Euro for 1 liter of M1 5w-40?
gr_eek2.gif

Yannis, your dealer is crazy...his profit is at least 9 - 12 euro per liter.

M1 5w-40 at discount in the Danish supermarked costs around 8.37 Euro/liter. Last time we bought Delvac 1 for our farm was in December, and we had to pay 5.23 Euro/liter at a local Esso/Mobil distributor. They said the the price will rise again in January, so I expect it to be around 5.50 euro/liter now. However, some years ago several other dealers charged more than 7 euro/liter.

Our distributor offered me some M1 0w-40 at 8.12 Euro/liter in 2004, while M1 0w-30 and 5w-50 was around 11.80 euro/liter.

It seems that I do not have to complain about prices.
dunno.gif

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back