New England Clam Chowder

I recently tried these two Clam Chowders available at the local grocery store. They tasted fine but I got spooked by the list of ingredients. I’m thinking about making my own and found this recipe. Would anyone else like to share their thoughts?

21363CD2-A014-4F2C-B0CE-52D0C6684CC0.jpeg
1DAEF910-733D-4906-8CCF-9DFA9F3370B0.jpeg
CE135C7E-747E-47D5-9F20-DAD1A2C6C469.jpeg

Most canned soups have a lot of salt, so if that matters to you, you would be better off with home-made.

There isn't anything that comes out of a can that's "health food"...shall we say.

Make it yourself, in a crockpot. That's what I'm doing, today in fact, and it's a snap! You just have to decide what "viscosity" (pun intended) you want it to be. If you don't add anything to thicken the chowder, it will be thin like an ordinary soup. *I* don't mind it that way, but some people don't like thin clam chowder.
P.S. Don't put your clams in the mix until the last half hour, or so, before you eat it. If you put the clams in too early, they'll be tough and chewy as a pencil eraser!

5 - 6 1⁄2 ounces chopped clams, liquid reserved

24 ounces bottled clam juice

4 ounces diced prosciutto (or chopped bacon)

3 celery stalks, chopped

1/2 large yellow onion

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice

1 large bay leaf

1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme

1 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

salt white pepper, to taste

Directions:

Pre-cook potatoes in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes. Remove potatoes, let cool and then dice.

Saute onion in a pan. In a crockpot, add all ingredients except cream and clams and cook on high for 4 hours. Add cream and clams in the last hour before serving.

Ed

Made a big batch of Manhattan style chowder a few days ago. A lot of the big chain grocery stores have canned good does this time of year so it's reasonable meal that can be frozen and stretched out. Manhattan chowder and a hood piece of crusty loaf...outstanding!

Many years ago, a new company brought samples of their frozen NE Clam Chowder to our rural CT town to see if we liked it. I sure wish I could remember the brand name. The guy that came by was the chef and was trying to mass produce it.

Anyway, it was absolutely wonderful and the best I've ever had. We all loved it, and we were raised on NE Clam Chowder. Good Memories, that's for sure. Maybe I'll go to the seafood place for lunch. MMMmm.

This is; Quahog Republic

Best I have had recently, although I actually prefer Manhattan and Rhode Island style. Yes, I said it, I am on Cape Cod and prefer Manhattan style....I can hear the torch and pitchfork mob assembling...nice knowing you all...
There's a place near me (South shore of Long Island) called the Chowder House. Theirs is pretty good. They sell a mix of New England and Manhattan called Long Island Chowder. It's pretty darn good.
I also hit up a place in Maine from time to time called Haraseeket Lunch and Lobster Company. Also very tasty.

Make your own. The best New England clam chowder is usually the simplest recipe.

If anyone is out Oregon Coast way, check out Mo’s. They have several restaurants along the coast. I like the Florence Oregon location the best.

The Sea Hag in Depoe Bay is also a great place for a bowl of chowder. Possibly my favorite.

Most canned soups have a lot of salt, so if that matters to you, you would be better off with home-made.
one cup of Campbell's New England clam chowder contains 870 milligrams of sodium. The recommended daily allowance is 2,000 or 2,200 milligrams depending on who you believe.

This is; Quahog Republic

Best I have had recently, although I actually prefer Manhattan and Rhode Island style. Yes, I said it, I am on Cape Cod and prefer Manhattan style....I can hear the torch and pitchfork mob assembling...nice knowing you all...

X2 for Rhode Island style (I'm from Lincoln, RI, so biased!).

Snagglefoot, please give us your address and we will send you real NE food.

I'm confident that Clam Chowda and Rhode Island strip pizza will pass customs......

one cup of Campbell's New England clam chowder contains 870 milligrams of sodium. The recommended daily allowance is 2,000 or 2,200 milligrams depending on who you believe.

So it's like 40% of a days value, that really doesn't seem like that much.

I usually load it up with like ten soda crackers to thicken it up, that probably adds more I guess. It's a lot better than eating soy sauce though :LOL:

And there are different New England chowders. I had a different type a few years a go in Rhode Island.

This is classic right here... New England clam chowder that is designed in Canada. What will they think of next?
1674500941919.jpg

Back