New Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got a new engine in my 03 ram 1500 (4.7 V8) and I don't know how long to leave in the oil that came with the motor. so far I've had it in for about 1500 mi. I will be replacing it with PP(silver). thanks

Who installed the motor (and oil)? Wouldn't it be smart to ask their opinion, especially if they are covering any guarantee on the new motor

Its time. Just use any low priced ILSAC oil in the suggested grade (5w20?) for now and plan change #2 at 3-4 K miles to complete intial wear in. Autozone orange bottle would do fine. I wish there was an old school groupI/II SG light enough for your wear in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Samf333
So i got a new engine in my 03 ram 1500 (4.7 V8) and I don't know how long to leave in the oil that came with the motor. so far I've had it in for about 1500 mi. I will be replacing it with PP(silver). thanks

Marshall Engines told me to use dino for 2500 miles. During that time I changed my oil a few times. I would change yours now and then a 3000 to PP.

There are no conventional dino anymore. ILSAC oil with their slickifiers for efficiency will protract wear in. And no more Whale brain oil ATF fluid to use (the best lubricant on the market)
What's a guy to do?

Man, how would you like the job of squeezing oil out of those whale brains???

To the OP, I'd change to the oil you plan to run right now.

PP should do fine if the rings are seated and nothing seems amiss with your new engine.

How many miles did you get out of the old engine?

Use a JASO-MA rated motorcycle oil- they're formulated with fewer friction modifiers since they have to be wet-clutch compatible.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Use a JASO-MA rated motorcycle oil- they're formulated with fewer friction modifiers since they have to be wet-clutch compatible.

roger

If there is no current oil consumption then it is a good bet that the engine is broken in.

We use a formulated oil with predominately Anti-wear additives (no friction modifiers) and our engines break-in period is around 500-750 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Its time. Just use any low priced ILSAC oil in the suggested grade (5w20?) for now and plan change #2 at 3-4 K miles to complete intial wear in. Autozone orange bottle would do fine. I wish there was an old school groupI/II SG light enough for your wear in.

'03 Dodge 4.7 takes 5w30.

I would change now with a solid dino, go 2500 on that then move to your favorite oil and normal OCI.

IIRC the 4.7 had some problems with sludging, but on a new motor that should have been taken care of.

it takes 5w30, it was an engine from accurate engines. so should i put a new dino in or can i use my stash of PP and a D+ filter and go 5K.

it takes 5w30, it was an engine from accurate engines. so should i put a new dino in or can i use my stash of PP and a D+ filter and go 5K.

That's a fine plan - and saves you a trip to the store.
smile.gif
On a new engine I prefer dino for the first couple of changes before I move to synthetic but that's just me.

You could err on the positive side by going a bit longer with conventional oil and a few extra changes before going to your stash of PP. That's what I did with my overhaul.

I've used syn after 1K drains in two factory new engines with no consumption over the next 175K or so.
I did use conventional for a 3K run in the '09 Subaru after draining the FF at 1K, but that was after I came here and had all of my common sense notions of oils, oil changes and engines converted to obsession.
The engine is as broken in as its going to get after 1500 miles.
The rings are also as seated as they'll ever be.
Run the PP without worry.
JMHO.

So he said it was to come out at 500 mi.... but the guy who installed it didn't tell me that. anyway i drained and replaced with the cheapest oil i could get at my local store (QSGB) and one quart of house brand to make six. Im leaving this oil in for 3k and i may do it once more before PP. The guy on the phone said conventional for 7k? is that right?

I wasn't on the conference call with you; I don't recall
smile.gif

I don't think your average engine builder knows anything about current oil formulations. You cant buy a "conventional" ILSAC oil - it would not pass current API certification. The rings are worn in after a 1-2 hours of spirited driving ( high throttle angle at low > mid rpms MAX)

Last edited:
So he said it was to come out at 500 mi.... but the guy who installed it didn't tell me that. anyway i drained and replaced with the cheapest oil i could get at my local store (QSGB) and one quart of house brand to make six. Im leaving this oil in for 3k and i may do it once more before PP. The guy on the phone said conventional for 7k? is that right?

I think you're good to go after this latest OCI w GSGB. Start using up your stash of synthetic. But another OCI of dino won't hurt it either, it'll just make your stash oil older before use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back