New engine - change oil at 1k, or leave it in?

How about changing the filter first after 1000 miles and inspecting the first filter, then running the oil for another 1000 miles and then doing and oil and filter change? When I bought the caravan I changed oil and filter at 4000 km (2400 miles). Filter and oil both had some shiny particles in them.
One of the reasons I like an early change is to get a filter on (that is discussed here often) that has a better micron cut.
I’m also not sure what the factory fill is … and have a large clearance stash of premium synthetics …
Having stated that … I always see more metal in the unfiltered oils … like gear oil … xfer case

I always change out the factory fill at 1k.. than 2x year. I probably have wasted good synthetic many times but that’s what I feel comfortable with. Maybe I’ll start doing annual oil changes my next vehicle

I'm running a 2017 VAG motor and commissioned UOA on the factory fill after about 3000 miles. There was nothing to indicate that the oil was anything other than recommended in the handbook I.e it didnt look like some special thin run in oil with reduced additive pack. It looked like a 0W30 with expected TBN (cant remember the number now)

I would keep running and change out at 2500 to 3000 miles if you want to change earlier than normal interval.

Interesting comments above about filter quality. I would have thought the factory filter on a GTI will likely be a Mann or Mahle cartridge type and widely regarded as high quality. Are there better ones out there?

Interesting comments above about filter quality. I would have thought the factory filter on a GTI will likely be a Mann or Mahle cartridge type and widely regarded as high quality. Are there better ones out there?

If so, I haven't found any. Fram doesn't make an Ultra Guard for it. Wix's option is likely just as good as the Mahle factory filter. Maybe someone else knows more.

Regarding changing early for the filter, I'm not familiar with VW OEM, but I would think that all OEM filters are of sufficient quality to not be significantly beat.

We’re all unique in our own ways... but all obsessed with oil. Lol. What’s your regimen on oil changes?
For my 2018 Titan . First OC at 5k with 0w-20 synthetic like the manual says . Every OC at 5k intervals also per the manual . After the warranty is up I'll probably push it out to 7k or so .

Does Nissan use a severe service oil change interval on the titan? Expecting tow and off-road use.. Nissan told my wife we'll see you at 10k for the first oil change than 10k afterwards. She does have a sentra so its Apple to oranges in comparison..

Does Nissan use a severe service oil change interval on the titan? Expecting tow and off-road use.. Nissan told my wife we'll see you at 10k for the first oil change than 10k afterwards. She does have a sentra so its Apple to oranges in comparison..
The recommendation in the manual is quick and dirty . 5k oil change with 0w-20 Synthetic . That's it . The maintenance reminder in the dash display is set at 5k .

I just bought a 2020 Jetta w/ a 1.4l turbo. Comes w/ two complementary oc's. VW will do them at the 10,000 and 20,000 mark. I'm going to do one at 5,000 and then let the dealer do the 10,000 and 20,000. I bought some 0w-20 508.00 from ECS.

I have been comtemplating a similar situation with my daughters 2020 Audi Q2, it has the 1.5 tfsi engine and a DSG gearbox.

The service interval is 2 years or 19k miles!

It is nearly a month old now and has 1200 miles on it.

I was thinking about changing it at around 2000 miles.

Was considering Motul Specific 0w20 or the Mobil 0w20 that meets the 508/509 spec.

Leaving the oil in it for 19k miles and 2 years is not something I feel happy about as she thinks she may keep it for 5 or 6 years.

I have been comtemplating a similar situation with my daughters 2020 Audi Q2, it has the 1.5 tfsi engine and a DSG gearbox.

The service interval is 2 years or 19k miles!

It is nearly a month old now and has 1200 miles on it.

I was thinking about changing it at around 2000 miles.

Was considering Motul Specific 0w20 or the Mobil 0w20 that meets the 508/509 spec.

Leaving the oil in it for 19k miles and 2 years is not something I feel happy about as she thinks she may keep it for 5 or 6 years.
Wow! VW specs almost twice the interval across the pond. When I had a Tdi, Some said one reason for our shorter OCI's were because our diesel was not on par with what you have over there. Not sure why on the petrol cars there is such a difference? It may be nothing more than our mindset here. Some folks still believe 3,000 miles is the limit. If I were over there, I'd probably go 12,000 miles or once a year.

Wow! VW specs almost twice the interval across the pond. When I had a Tdi, Some said one reason for our shorter OCI's were because our diesel was not on par with what you have over there. Not sure why on the petrol cars there is such a difference? It may be nothing more than our mindset here. Some folks still believe 3,000 miles is the limit. If I were over there, I'd probably go 12,000 miles or once a year.

From what I've read here and other messaging boards (take that as you will) is that the climate in Europe is a lot easier on vehicles. It's typically cooler, and doesn't have a diverse climate as much as the US has, meaning no scorching hot deserts or subzero temperatures for months at a time like some places in the US. I think for that reason, VWAG took the most conservative approach for oil life and just said "10k for everyone".

I also concur about fuel quality. Our gas in the states isn't awful by any stretch but diesel isn't nearly as heavily monitored as gas. Europe has higher cetane ratings in their diesel than the states (51 vs 40).

I don't know what the OCI are for the Diesel engined Audis.

I think it might be the same 19k or 2 years.

I think I am going to change the oil at around 2/3000 miles.

With all the talk about the 508/509 0w20 being green in colour I thought it would look different on the dipstick.

But it looks the same.

I changed the oil in my then new BMW M240i at 1200m/2000kms using LM 5w30 withe the API SN designation and a Mann filter. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. The report said that there were some assembly lubes in the oil. Changed it again at 2500m in prep for a weekend at the track. Used LM and a Mann filter again. Changed ti again at about 4500m and sent another sample to Blackstone. Came back that all the assembly lubes were gone and the engine break-in process for complete.
IMHO it's well worth the time and money to change the oil and filter after the end of the factory break-in period.

Back