New Engine Break-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its been asked before, but Im still not clear, so here goes...

Car: 2003 Toyota 4Runner
Engine: 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve EFI VVT-i V61
245 hp @ 5,200 rpm
282 lb.-ft. @ 3,800 rpm
Probably didnt need to know the specs, but I thought I'd tell ya anyway
grin.gif

So, Can you guys tell me what to do for Break In. And I would like to use oils that I dont have to Order (e.g.- Schaeffers, Redline, Amsoil)
Thanks a bunch

For the break in, go with something like GTX or Pennzoil. But honestly, just about anything will do since you only should leave it in for a short time during the break in phase. I like to do the first oil change at 500 miles, then do a second one around 1500 to 2000, at which point I go to synthetic.

What viscosity does Toyota call for in this engine?

Yea, I was planning on Castrol GTX for Break In. Im not sure what viscosity Toyota calls for, as we havent taken delivery of the Vehicle yet. Im assuming since it is winter time, would 5w-30, or 5w-40 be a good choice? Also, what Synthetic do you reccomend, besides the ones I listed before. I would like to have them readily available to me (Pep Boys, VIP, AutoZone, Wal-Mart.)
And would your reccomend changing the oil immeditaly after we get it home?
Thanks

GTX doesn't come in 5w40, so go with the 5w30 for winter.

If you're looking for a readily available synthetic, you really only have one choice, Mobil 1. Nothing else at Walmart is a real synthetic.

There is no need to change the oil as soon as you get home, do the first one at 500 and you'll be fine. The only reason I would do the first oil change right away would be if the car had sat on the lot a long time. I did that with the 95 Trans Am I bought new back in January 96. This was because I found out it's build date was Sept 94! So the oil was pretty old. Plus it had 200 miles on it already, test drive miles, so I figured the oil should be done right away, so I did it the next day (it was snowing the day I bought it)

I think the GTX in the recommended viscosity is a good idea too. I use it myself when not using Amsoil or Mobil 1. I would put a 100 to 500 miles on like Patman then do the first change. then a 1000 or 2000 more and maybe another change then synthetic. Mobil 1 is basically the easiest to find and priced cheaper than all our mailorder/specialty favorites. Walmart has good deals on 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 when you can find them.

Ok, I'll wait for the 500 mile mark. Truth be told, its my dads vehicle, but since he's not as computer able as me, Im helpin him out.

What you said about your car sitting, with 200 test drive miles on it- There was a 4runner that he was considering getting, and Im not sure how long it had been on the lot. It was still 2003, but I voiced my concerns seeing as it already had 300 Test Drive miles on it. And you know what people do when they test drive it.. "Test" the pickup, steer hard, not to mention the fact that its stop and go driving. So, he went with a different color, and therefore a different Car.

Also, does anyone know how the Toyota OEM filters do In tests? How about when you compare them to SuperTech?

[ February 19, 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: PontTransAm1978 ]

I haven't seen test reports with the Toyota filters other than my own, and the contaminants in the used oil were low.

The Toyota filters made by Denso in Japan are very well made, and an unusual construction. Look at these photos http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000336

These filters are 2mm-3mm thick fiberglass over a plastic frame and some type of resin or something to stiffen the fiberglass. I've heard some talk that there are some U.S. made Toyota brand filters made by Fram, but I haven't seen one, so I don't know if this is true.

Ken

Very good advise so far. I used 10w-30 gtx to break in my 2001 mazda miata. I changed at 700 miles then 3000 miles and then 7500 miles. I used the OEM filter and would recomend you use the OEM toyota filter. If you live up north you may want the 5w-30 gtx. At 7500 I went to synthetic and started oil analysis at 22,500 miles. I have some doubt about going 7500 miles between changes and will be doing my next analysis after 5000 miles on oil to see how that looks. No oil consumption at all so far so I believe the break in was good.

I'll be the Rogue here. I have done 4 cars on synthetic at the first oil change one at 52 miles, one at 1050, one at 1800 and the fourth at something less than 1000 miles. 3 vehicles use no noticable oil the fourth with 80K miles uses about a quart every 6K miles. The sectond oil changes were at about 6K miles for 2, 4K for one and I don't know about the other the other vehicle. I just see no reason to wait. BTW Nissan, Cavalier, GrandAm and Daewoo
rolleyes.gif
. Not suggesting you follow my lead-but I feel I am still conservative.

I recommend 5000-6000 miles before using Amsoil in a gas engine and 10,000-12,000 miles before using it in a diesel engine pickup.

Tooslick

Al is the only one with the correct advice! According to GM engineers. When new Northstar engines are placed on the dyno for torture testing, they show a smooth increase in the power curve as breakin occurs. The curve is the same regardless of whether synthetic oil is used or dino oil. If you are planning on running Mobil1 or any synthetic...which is a good thing. Put it in right from the start, change the oil filter SOON the first time, to remove "construction debris" for lack of a better term. Your wallet will hurt, but your motor will be happy!

don't forget your transmission and the differential/s .Little known fact I have read in a trade magazine and I can't remember the name so this will be a snippet of information that S.A.E tests have proven that in big truck differentials the first oil change at around 1000 miles then going to the recommended oil change intervals will double the life of the differentials. But then they last pretty good over all unless overpowered or run with contaminated oil.

A little info, if you care...

For the S2000, the first change is to be at 3750 or 7500 depending on your severity.

I chose to change my filter only at 1875, then do oil and filter at 3750 with Castrol GTX, then at 7500 I'm going with synthetic.

There is a technical bulletin recommending that owners don't use synthetic until around 7500-10,000 miles because break-in takes quite a while in this engine.

I'm not familiar with Amsoil but Redline states that you should not use their oil for break-in and to allow at least 3000 miles on petroleum first. You don't necessarily have to get in a hurry swiching to the synthetic I don't think. Use a good petroleum oil and do the first change at 600 miles or so and then decide based on your driving habits as to when to do the next one using petroleum again. The third change then could be the time to switch to the synthetic product. I've opted recently to switch from Mobil 1 10W-30 to their Delvac 1 5w-40 in my 98 Tacoma 3.4 / V-6. The 5W rating is good for my climate and the availability at Walmart is important. The price per unit is comparable to the 10W-30, and the extra expense is probably worth it due to the more robust additive package and extended drain interval offered by the Delvac.

I have mentioned this before, but since this topic periodically comes up I will again. Many years ago Mechanics Illustrated did a study on engine breakin. They found that engines broken in on used oil broke in cooler and faster. With this in mind I see no value to continually changing the oil in a new engine, in fact it may prevent proper breakin. Just a counterpoint.

Ok, This is great Info So Far, Keep it up. I'll use GTX for the first 2 oil changes, and Im becoming Interested in Delvac 1. Everyone mentions its 5w-40, is that the only thing it comes in? Wouldnt I want something like 5w-30 in the winter, and 10w-30 in the summer?. And can someone please explain why you would need an oil such as 15w-40, and 20w-50.
PontTransAm1978

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I recommend 5000-6000 miles before using Amsoil in a gas engine and 10,000-12,000 miles before using it in a diesel engine pickup.

Tooslick

Too Slick, I have a new corvette which came with Mobile Syn from the factory. At 500 miles I am going to change oil and wanted to put Amsoil in it. Why do you state that I should wait until 5000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back