New Engine Break-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by PontTransAm1978:
Thanks Poncho, and How about the Delvac Question? Does it come in 5w-30 and 10w-30?

Nope, Delvac 1 only comes in 5w40 and it's a full synthetic. There is something called Delvac 1300 (I think that's the name) which is not synthetic, and comes in 15w40.

Well, Would Delvac 1 be good for year round? it gets pretty **** cold here in the Winter, and Pretty humid in the summer. Or should I just stick with, what is it, M1 Tri-Synthetic?

quote:

Well, Would Delvac 1 be good for year round? it gets pretty **** cold here in the Winter, and Pretty humid in the summer. Or should I just stick with, what is it, M1 Tri-Synthetic?

It's been pretty GD cold here in Ontario this past month too. The 5W-40 Delvac 1 is an all year around synthetic oil and will offer you more protection I think than the Mobil 5/30 or 10/30 passenger car only grade, and still has excellent cold weather pumpability characteristics. You don't need a 15/40 or 20/50 oil for your application and may even experience higher operating costs using them. They are certainly too heavy for very cold weather starts. The Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40 is a non synthetic grade.

[ February 20, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: 7tford ]

Really, you can use 5w-40 All year? and 40wt wont be too heavy For this engine? During the summer months, our boat will be towed, but not frequently. Probably To the dock, then maybe 1 time, 2 if we're lucky to another lake, and then taking it out again. How much does this oil Thin out, if any?

Forgot to mention... I believe the weight is 3500 Pounds. So, that will work the engine a bit. Is that going to alter the choice of Delvac 1?

quote:

Forgot to mention... I believe the weight is 3500 Pounds. So, that will work the engine a bit. Is that going to alter the choice of Delvac 1?

I was wondering after. What oil does Toyota recommend for that new 4L V6 motor? Some manufacturers are recommending a 5w-20 weight for some of their newer vehicles for what ever reason. If your engine requires the 5w-20 weight I would use it for the break in procedure and allow plenty of time for the break-in on it. That aside, the Delvac 5w-40 will work fine all year around I'm sure and won't cause any problems. It will offer added protection on those hot summer days especially when towing. Don't forget the Delvac 1 is primarily an oil for large diesel trucks. If you can believe it I'm running the Delvac 1 in our 01 Corolla 1.8L as well as the Tacoma. It starts great in the cold and I still get 46 mpg highway in the summer. I would assume that the 40W doesn't thin out at all which is the advantage of synthetics. I read, I think on the Redline site, that a petroleum 10w-30 may well be a 10w in the bearings at operating temps.

I put Amsoil S2000 0W30 in my Nissan Frontier as soon as we arrived at home, mileage 110 miles, Mid May of 2000 and ran it to 3.7k miles, since my BIL sells Nissans and Amsoil. Cruised from 50 mph to 80 mph on the way home. The only oil consumption ever observed was about 2 oz. on a later round trip from Cedar Rapids IA to KC (800 miles) using the same Amsoil S2000 0W30 at 75 mph.

Changed to Mobil 1 10W30 after that since I had OTC access to the Mobil.

It is nearing 60,000 miles and the engine is only now starting to loosen up.

Just changed out Mobil 1 SS 10W30 and am currently running Amsoil 5W30 HDD as a test to 3.Xk. Will have oil analysis done this spring.

[ February 21, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Sorry for the Late reply, but I was waiting to take delivery of the vehicle before we continued on. I found out that the Manual states that 5w-30 is reccomended Year round. So, using Delvac 1 5w-40 would most likely void the warranty, correct?
And since I dont really want to have to order my oil, the Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 5w-30 will serve me well, right?

Also, when you guys said do an oil change at about 500 miles, then again somewhere between 1500-2000, and use Castrol GTX. Did you mean wait untill 500 miles, to use the GTX? or Change the oil immediatly to GTX, then change again at 500, and again at 1500-2000? Anyone know if they ship Toyotas with Synthetic from the Factory?
Thanks a bunch
PontTransAm1978

Correction on the last Post, I guess they are doing away with Tri-Synthetic. so just change it to SuperSynthetic
rolleyes.gif

I doubt that engine comes with synthetic from the factory. Leave the factory fill in there until 500 miles, then change it.

As usual. a huge difference of opinion and none based upon actual studies only anecdotal personal evidence.

So, my two cents of personal experience. I have switched to synthetic on about 5 new cars over the past 10 years. From as little at 1000 miles on the odometer to 4,500.

It makes no difference guys. Go to the normal first change interval for severe service, change over and don't worry about it. It will not make any difference!

I read somewhere that the piston rings are made with a knife edge on them and they are actually suppose to ware down during breakin, and that if synthetic oil is used during this time that the cylinders will glaze over and keep this from happening. I personally just left the factory fill in my cars for the first 3000, then put in 10w/30 gtx for another 3000, then switched them to Mobil 1.

........I think we're confusing this poor lad!! Don't stress over this too much "PontTransAm1978" . I'm not sure when I started using synthetics.....maybe 1990. I don't remember exactly but I don't recall when they became that available on the market here or that popular before that. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention! If you never used a synthetic, your motor would be just fine. Don't dwell on all this marketing. I've used Mobil 1 mostly due to availability here. I'm not going to jump through hoops to get one particular brand to my door. If they want me to use the stuff they'll have to get it on the shelves where I live. You'll certainly have more access to brands than I will here, making it harder for you to pick one. I've learned volumes mind you about synthetics that I didn't know 10 years ago, but I'm not to the point where I care if the copper content is .0001 more prevalent in one oil over the other. At the end of the day it doesn't matter.

I've owned nothing but Toyota since 1986 and have had no mechanical problems with any of them. I'm not sure that the later use of synthetics made any difference either. It certainly didn't get me any more money for our 93 Corolla at trade-in time using Mobil 5/30 for 8 years. I'd run your truck on petroleum for at least 3000 miles. Who cares if Vipers come from the factory with Mobil 1 in the oil pan, and during this time you can decide based on this forum and others and your own research, as to what synth you are going to use. Seems to me the only significant difference between one and the other is the color of the bottle that they come in, and maybe a bit of Moly here and there.

[ February 26, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: 7tford ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back