new engine break in procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend is an idiot when it comes to mechanic. well, not educated/doesnt care.

he bought a 2004 chrysler 300m special edition.
I changed the oil at 1000 miles with havoline 5w30(chevron\texaco)

When he hits 3k, very soon) we will start to use mobil 1 10w-30 every 3k (waranty purposes, he feels safer doing it, the money isnt a big deal)

does everyone think this is a great way to do the break in? I figure use dino for the break in until 3k....

BTW it is a 3.5 v6 engine. i think that is a generally reliable one? I told him we can get 200k out of it no problem with overdone religious maintenance...

Nice car you have there! I think 200-300,000 no problem. It is good you changed the oil at 1,000 miles. I would have done it at 500 and again at 1,500 miles but eithor way you come out in good shape. A lot of cars are being filled at the factory with Mobil 1 so you should have no problem using it at 3,000 miles. I started to use M1 in my 2003 Silverado 5.3 at around 2,700 miles and so far so good at 9,000.
I hear Halvoline is a great dino oil to use. I'm using it to break in my rebuilt LS1 right now.

lol i wish it was mine! but its my friend, thats why i didnt change it at 500, he deemed it totally uneccessary! SO i bargained and he let me change it at 1000.

Nothing wrong with his proposal except it's goofy to change Mobil 1 @ 3k. What warranty purposes...I'll bet his owner's manual does not call for oil changes at 3000 miles. With Mobil 1 oil, he's good for at least the full interval shown in the manual.

Or, did he buy a service contract, one of the erroneously named "extended warranties?" If it calls for 3000 mile oil change interval, he needs to do it and retain the documentation so the contract remains in force.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back