New Discovery Rare Earth Metals

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would either be prohibitively expensive or environmentally disastrous to mind it. Unless it is really expensive stuff I'd imagine we wouldn't do it.

If the prices of these elements can be lowered the cost of efficient electric motors will DROP, of course the enviroweenies will have an immediate objection to that.

Rare earth metals are not rare.

Its simply that mining them is extremely environmentally destructive.

China has cornered the market because they just don't care. Which is why you can chew the air in Chinese cities and their rivers are made up of toxic sludge.

And it's the mining that does that? What does China require in vehicle emission controls?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
And it's the mining that does that? What does China require in vehicle emission controls?

To be honest, China mine most of it in Inner Mongolia (a province that they kept while giving Outer Mongolia independence), and they probably think of it as a colony anyways so they are not too concern about the environmental damage. If it is near Beijing or Shanghai they'll probably think twice before doing so.

Emission control wise, if I remember right they are within a couple years of using Euro as the emission standard for vehicles. Older vehicles might get grandfathered. If I also remember right, they stop giving out moped (vespa) registration due to emission reason.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

No it just turns the surrounding area into a barren wasteland and pollutes all the rivers and lakes around the mine.

But the Chinese couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back