New diesel technology

Diesel engines are SO done. That article only means that somebody has figured a new way to make them even more expensive. The diesel option in heavy duty pickups costs $10,000. The higher powered gasoline option costs $2000. And then I snapped this picture over the weekend: If regular gas is half the price of diesel, and diesel engines get 30% better fuel economy, when will the better fuel economy of the diesel recoup the extra $8000? Answer: Never. The gasoline fuel cost per mile is lower.

View attachment 22506
Where is gas .97 a gallon?

This is an interesting topic. Unlike back home in the US, or even places like Europe, diesel prices in developing economies are far more competitive. I’m an expat living in Pakistan at the moment, and diesel is roughly 10% more expensive than gasoline. Contrast that with the 33% better mileage I get on my diesel truck versus the gasoline version, and of course the fun of having loads of torque...and it’s a no brainer. Oh, and because we still have 500ppm sulfur, and no DPFs (yet), maintenance isn’t an issue. The same applies in most developing countries as far as I can tell.
A Karachite here, upon return to US just stay away from any truck or SUV with DEF system, I had a MB GL350 Bluetec w/OM642 engine it was a dealer queen. Had to go backwards and get a CDI with OM648 engine without DEF system.

Why do people make such a big deal about recouping the cost of the diesel engine option? Who cares. It's a night and day difference. Tow with a 350hp diesel then tow with a 350hp gas engine since the hp ratings are pretty much the same. I did this about 6 months ago going down the freeway with a side by side on a trailer. I have no idea what one of those weighs, but I doubt the whole load was more than 3000lbs. The transmission on that gas engine didn't know what to do with itself. Flat ground going down the freeway and it was shifting back and forth constantly even in towhaul mode. 390hp and it feels like I'm towing with a Honda civic.

Well I just got struck with the emissions issues on my 2017. Ran fine last week. Start it up the other day and get the countdown. Codes for low flow and heater circuit. Tank was showing half full so no chance it was overfill and froze. Not like I havnt had it full and frozen.

Topped up the tank and it won't show a level change after several drive cycles.

Unfortunately FCA does not stand behind their products. 80,000km emissions warranty. Ballpark is 2500$ for the pump unit alone, before any labor.

Mind you I can count more deleted diesels in my area then intact.

Its a tough pill to swallow. Dealer wants 2400$ plus tax to delete but they advised they will warranty what they can until its no longer feasible to hide stuff from FCA.

Local guy wants 1600 for a basic delete.

Well I just got struck with the emissions issues on my 2017. Ran fine last week. Start it up the other day and get the countdown. Codes for low flow and heater circuit. Tank was showing half full so no chance it was overfill and froze. Not like I havnt had it full and frozen.

Topped up the tank and it won't show a level change after several drive cycles.

Unfortunately FCA does not stand behind their products. 80,000km emissions warranty. Ballpark is 2500$ for the pump unit alone, before any labor.

Mind you I can count more deleted diesels in my area then intact.

Its a tough pill to swallow. Dealer wants 2400$ plus tax to delete but they advised they will warranty what they can until its no longer feasible to hide stuff from FCA.

Local guy wants 1600 for a basic delete.
I spent $2300 on emissions system repairs on my '08 last year. And the 2 weeks off the road cost me $3000 in earnings. I have a good collection of horror stories from other RV transporters on emissions system repairs on their late model trucks. Most guys get their trucks deleted, and take the risk that they'll get busted during a DOT inspection. Then the fine will make you wish you paid for the repair. In the US, the EPA has been cracking down on delete shops. What's the situation in Canada?

Well the truck transport guys look for weight and safety up here. Have yet to hear of anyone commercial, farm or personal use getting emissions related fines. As I said, even dealers do deletes up here and actually recommend them.

A few years back, our Premier at the time, Brad Wall (a realist and pro working class) came out publicly and stated that there would be no emissions testing and enforcement was not on the agenda. Many companies openly advertise deletes, from light vehicles, over the road and ag.