New Diesel Piston Technology: 25% fuel economy improvement??

EngineLabs said:
"During testing, DFC Diesel observed fuel consumption reductions of 25 percent with factory tuning, an average of 5-percent increases in torque and horsepower, NOx reductions saw reductions as high as 80 percent, and the ability to extend oil change intervals jumped by 50 percent due to decreased soot and fuel dilution.

Other testing was completed in conjunction with Olsen Ecologic Lab in Fullerton, California to compare a stock Cummins 5.9-liter engine to one with a set of Speed of Air pistons installed. In that report, there was a 15.5-percent increase in horsepower and a 15.2-percent increase in torque. Testing also revealed Brake-Specific Fuel Consumption was reduced by 3.2 percent, particulate matter in the exhaust was reduced by 77.6 percent and NOx levels saw a reduction of 61 percent."

If all works out they need to license this so the automakers will install the pistons at the factory.

I don wonder however the lifespan of such a feature due to carbon buildup on the piston crown.
If the "boundary layer" of air they claim works as intended, I would think it would maintain. They also use a proprietary ceramic piston crown coating which likely makes it much more difficult for soot and other accumulations to stick. I get your idea though.

FWIW, I've been reading and watching some videos about Bugatti's use of a dimpled area on the roof of their Bolide. I'm nowhere near as technically oriented as some others here, and I tend to be optimistic about new tech, so I'm somewhat excited about this. I like Diesels, and I'd like to see them stay around a while longer and maybe have their complicated emissions systems become less complicated. Perhaps this can help ...

When they start installing this in new factory engine and I see full size diesel Pickups getting near 30 MPG on the highway I'll be a believer. Until then I will bid my time.

Reminds me at those grooves Somender Singh was puting on his heads years ago, and claimed similar results.

Attachments

• image_2023-03-03_164407395.jpg
    image_2023-03-03_164407395.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 23
  • image_2023-03-03_164422708.jpg
    image_2023-03-03_164422708.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 23
I've got no dog in this fight because I don't own a diesel, but just because one doesn't understand a technology doesn't mean it's not real.

Nobody understood nuclear fission, until the Manhattan Project. It's real even though you don't understand.
Nobody understood alternating current, until Nikola Tesla made it happen. AC made the world we know possible.
Internal combustion, once created in its infancy, is a simple process. That doesn't mean we've reached the pinnacle of understanding there, either.

The fact that this company has many third-party and OEM testing going on shows that there may be real merit to the technology. I highly doubt the improvements will be 25% on an average basis, but even at 5% think of the overall impact of what this could do to all of the diesel transportation modes. There are also other claimed emissions benefits. Their technology is patented, so at least it is a novel idea in this implementation. I'm at least willing to wait and see what gets developed! It's better than forcing the elimination of all ICEs and putting lithium pools all over this beautiful Earth just to ride in a pending Class D fire chariot!

Back