New CRV, but free oil changes at dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the wife a new CRV and got a deal on it I just couldn't pass up. Here's my dilema....dealership offers free oil changes for LIFE as long as we bring it to them. That will also include free alignments and lifetime engine guarantee as long as I own the car. I've ALWAYS used M1 EP on all my cars, but with this kind of guarantee....I'm on the fence post. Sells guy, whom I've known for about 10 years, says that they use a semi-synthetic oil and that I just simply follow the OLM and bring it in when it's less than 15%. I mean....hard to pass on that WITH a guarantee....could save me some serious coin because the wife averages about 23K per year. Really thinking of taking them up on this offer and then they have all my service records. Dealership has been in Oklahoma City area for some time and don't think they will be going out of business anytime soon. This is my 4th Honda I've purchased from them. What ya'll think? Seems like Honda is pretty confident with whatever oil/filter they are using.

Of course, this is a way for the dealership to get to do all of the brake jobs, and tune ups as well.

If they're going to stand behind everything, and do it for free... it should be a fairly easy decision.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Seems like Honda is pretty confident with whatever oil/filter they are using.

Be careful with your line of thinking. This "lifetime" warranty is backed by the dealership, NOT Honda. Big difference. Get it in writing and read all the fine print. Then evaluate how much you trust the dealer. It still might be worth it... but be careful and think it through.

The CR-V will not be picky about oil, and even if they use the Honda 0w20 or 5w20 semi-syn, you should have very little to worry about. Sounds like you'll get your money's worth with all the driving you do.

Yes, always terms and conditions in writing to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Im not sure Id be such a stickler on oil brand for that deal. Semi syn? hmmm, is there any reason for that? I suspect that it would do fine on conventional, which meets the Honda spec.

I also suspect that if you gave them the oil, they would be happy to put it in, since it saves them some money on the free job. But Id need to have a strong justification to do that.

Im sure that the second time they try to align it, it will need it, but the tie rods will be seized, etc.

At that or some other point, youll have to ID if their service prices and extent of jobs makes sense to you. A good dealer may have a bad service department and vice-versa.

But the reality is that car dealers make money on service and used cars moreso then new cars, so this is a tactic for them to optimize their profit area. If its a good deal with you, and you trust their servcie department, why not?

I did. Believe me, after being on here for a long time, I've read just about every horror story when it comes to "all things stealerships." I got everything in writing, witnessed with my wife. Just wondering how that engine will hold up being a direct injection and sludge issues that seem to be popping up on some other engines. This is the same engine that was in the older CRV and it ran flawlessly for 112K miles. The fine print was that the lifetime engine guarantee was if the dealership does all the oil changes and scheduled maintenance. Good point by mrsilv....they may start throwing in stuff...."head light fluid" at a later date, if you will. If they start doing that, I may then quit. But for now, think I'll give it a shot. M1 EP aint getting any cheaper.

accept it, live life, and move on. there are more important things to be OCD about friend.

With the CRV driving 23k per year, that will really save some money compared to buying Mobil 1. Do they have a limit on how many oil changes per year? I'm thinking they might limit it to two changes per year in fine print. Every contract I've ever read has limitations. For 23k per year that should be about 3 changes per the OLM I would say.

Nobody stays in business doing "Free". And beware the folks who actually use "Free" and "Lifetime" in the same sentence.

You should use the dealer b/c you trust them or you like them or you don't/can't do the service yourself. Don't fall for gimmickry, especially when it's in the form of "Free!".

The fine print was that the lifetime engine guarantee was if the dealership does all the oil changes and scheduled maintenance.

I noticed that some dealers have maintenance schedules that are different (more aggressive) than the owner's manual schedule. Which one does yours require?

Have you inquired about the cost to have the dealer follow the maintenance schedule? Tire rotations, air filter changes, windshield wipers, etc.?? If you are a diyer, then the oil change savings might be consumed by these other simple maintenance items.

Yes, check the details. At worst, you could get a few free oil changes until they start wanting to charge outlandish fees for simple maintenance items.

Best of luck.

I did. Believe me, after being on here for a long time, I've read just about every horror story when it comes to "all things stealerships." I got everything in writing, witnessed with my wife. Just wondering how that engine will hold up being a direct injection and sludge issues that seem to be popping up on some other engines. This is the same engine that was in the older CRV and it ran flawlessly for 112K miles. The fine print was that the lifetime engine guarantee was if the dealership does all the oil changes and scheduled maintenance. Good point by mrsilv....they may start throwing in stuff...."head light fluid" at a later date, if you will. If they start doing that, I may then quit. But for now, think I'll give it a shot. M1 EP aint getting any cheaper.

I don't think the CRV engine is direct injection, so don't let that influence your decision. The similar engine in the Accord is DI, but the CRV's is not yet.

And the reason the dealership uses semi-syn instead of conventional is because the specified 0w/20 is not available in a convetional oil.

If you're worried about the oil, just change the oil (but leave the filter) in between there oil changes. They'll never know, and you'll have no worries abit the oil running that long.

Quote:
This is the same engine that was in the older CRV and it ran flawlessly for 112K miles.
Wow, that is very impressive! Who would have thought CRV engine could make past 100K miles???

(and you said you have been here for a long time?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
I'd do an oil change in-between each LOF service at the dealership.

You could. but it would be a total waste of money...

If you are a DIY-er then going the dealership route will only bring frustration as the miles pile on. You will have to endure 1-2 hour waiting time, not to mention setting up the appointments and then they will be upselling all sorts of stuff.
I bet they will try to change other things like air filters, cabin filters, ATF, brake fluid flush, etc. more often to offset the "free" oil changes.
M1 EP can easily follow MM, which will probably be around 10k miles anyway, so two OCs a year should not be hard to do yourself and save the headache that most dealerships cause.

Danh, thanks for that info. Assumed Honda made the DI jump like a lot of other manufacturers are doing and the semi-syn makes sense.
Vikas....don't know where that came from. I've never said a crv engine could not go past 100k....my older accord did 200+ with no worries. You just wouldn't believe the deal they gave me for a new one. Wasn't really in the market for a new car, the "old" crv was doing just fine.....put it this way....they gave me almost half of what I paid for that 2010 crv in trade in value with 112k on the clock.
That 02 accord got hit with the dreaded transmission problems, but I haven't read anymore into Honda's AT problems since that generation and the first two years of the next generation.
I am a DIY'er and thought about that....I'll just give it a chance. One thing I do like about this whole thing is that they will have all my car history records. When I accepted the deal for the new one, they asked if I had any records. Now I got receipts for the M1 and filters, but that was it. Any factory service was performed by them. When I go to trade up next time, they will have all the service records at the dealership. It may also be a good selling point for them to a potential used car customer when I do trade it in again in about 4-5 years.
Appreciate all ya'lls info, can always get well informed here.

Any engine which does NOT run flawlessly at 114K miles is an exception
My suggestion:- Use them until 3/36 warranty expires but watch them very carefully to avoid surprise up-charges on the maintenance. For example, you go the B service (oil+filter+rotation) and they might charge you $60 just for the tire rotation (and balance) part! If you needed balancing the tires, then it would be reasonable price but if your tires only needed rotating, then you could have done them by yourself before taking the car in for the free oil+filter. You could do similar stuff with the air filter, cabin filter, spark plugs etc and let them know when you should up for your free oil+filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back