New Corvette for IMSA Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by racin4ds
GM had to step us their game somehow to beat those FORDS!!!! The Vette used to reign king in IMSA until that little ECOboost V6 came around in the GT... I do like the Vettes though and I'm a die hard ford guy. Its hard to beat the sound of that big ol V8 going around Daytona at the 24 hour race. The Ford sounds horrible in person! Now this new flat plane 5.5 will probably sound wicked! More like a Ferrari or high revving BMW M8 I'm sure.

Anyone know if this new Vette will be at the 24 hours of Daytona for the 2020 race coming here in January?

The GT Ecoboost Racing program was very successful to say the least. I'm sure Chevy will race the new Vette next season but GT is gone and not sure what Ford will offer to race.
If you've ever heard the Ford 5.2L flat crank engine it sounds mean and rev's to the moon for a factory engine

I got a chance to see it in-person at Petit Le Mans this past weekend -- they also had Oliver Gavin do a few laps of the track. The sound is very different from the C7.R which is a bit of a shame; the C7.R's motor always had that great thunderous rumble that was very distinct from the others in GTLM. This new one has a more generic race car sound.

I just hope the motor is reliable. Flat plane cranks of that size are risky, as Ford has learned. Their first big event is going to be the Roar Before the 24 and then of course the Rolex 24 at Daytona...

Originally Posted by kstanf150
GM had to step us their game somehow to beat those FORDS!!!! The Vette used to reign king in IMSA until that little ECOboost V6 came around in the GT... I do like the Vettes though and I'm a die hard ford guy. Its hard to beat the sound of that big ol V8 going around Daytona at the 24 hour race. The Ford sounds horrible in person! Now this new flat plane 5.5 will probably sound wicked! More like a Ferrari or high revving BMW M8 I'm sure.

Anyone know if this new Vette will be at the 24 hours of Daytona for the 2020 race coming here in January?

The GT Ecoboost Racing program was very successful to say the least. I'm sure Chevy will race the new Vette next season but GT is gone and not sure what Ford will offer to race.
If you've ever heard the Ford 5.2L flat crank engine it sounds mean and rev's to the moon for a factory engine

Wait, what? The Ford GT is gone? I haven't heard this yet. Yes I've heard the Ford flat plane motor in the GT350, that thing sounds absolutely harmonious!

Wait, what? The Ford GT is gone? I haven't heard this yet. Yes I've heard the Ford flat plane motor in the GT350, that thing sounds absolutely harmonious!

Yes, as a factory effort it is done. The cars might be made available for a GTD team.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by A_Harman
It will win.
It's GM's turn.
When Ford introduced the GT a few years ago, IMSA gave them the golden restrictor, and restricted the Corvette.
Voila! Ford won at LeMans to make a big splash for the 50th anniversary of their win in 1966.
Now, it's GM's turn to get the golden restrictor.

Oh good lord
Here we go
GM crying ...¢...¢...¢...¢

IMSA didn't give Ford anything

If you go back and look the GT was issued a smaller restrictor and a fuel tank and weight penalty to slow the GT down. And Ford still won ðŸ

OK, here's a challenge:
You get a Ford GT with the Ecoboost.
I'll get a C8 Z51 Corvette.
We'll meet at Virginia International Raceway, and drive for best lap time.
Loser buys dinner.

How does that sound?

Originally Posted by Excel
flat plane crank,...another copy of a ford product

Probably not. Ford's flat crank has an up-down-up-down pin layout, and sounds different from the C8R engine, which sounds more like the up-down-down-up layout that is in all the other flat crank V8's that I know about.
You do realize that Ford didn't invent the V8 flat crank, don't you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by Excel
flat plane crank,...another copy of a ford product

Probably not. Ford's flat crank has an up-down-up-down pin layout, and sounds different from the C8R engine, which sounds more like the up-down-down-up layout that is in all the other flat crank V8's that I know about.
You do realize that Ford didn't invent the V8 flat crank, don't you?

We all give up

Tell us who did

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Yes, as a factory effort it is done. The cars might be made available for a GTD team.

There will most certainly be some 'privateer' efforts/teams.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back