New 2023 Corolla and 0W-8 oil

What’s your problem with Indiana and Kentucky built “Tototas?” (sic)

I thought the Totota's were made in Kansas ?

You don't want anything made in Indiana other than corn - even then you don't want that either.
Well, maybe they are better without Subaru-Isuzu building them - but still they be Chilrens of da Coan

I escaped 62 years ago - will you?

There’s a thread on Reddit right now started by a guy who bought a new Toyota Crown and the dealer can’t get 0w-8. According to him the dealer told him just not to drive it until 0w-8 could be found. He said it came with complimentary 24 month maintenance. Were that my vehicle I would be parking it in the dealer’s lot and demanding a rental until they can do a proper oil change. Or (more likely) I would make the dealer do a change with 0w-16 and document that they were unable to provide the ‘required’ oil.

If neither of those worked I would be suing in small claims court for the value of 24 months of maintenance just to harass them.

There’s a thread on Reddit right now started by a guy who bought a new Toyota Crown and the dealer can’t get 0w-8. According to him the dealer told him just not to drive it until 0w-8 could be found. He said it came with complimentary 24 month maintenance. Were that my vehicle I would be parking it in the dealer’s lot and demanding a rental until they can do a proper oil change. Or (more likely) I would make the dealer do a change with 0w-16 and document that they were unable to provide the ‘required’ oil.

If neither of those worked I would be suing in small claims court for the value of 24 months of maintenance just to harass them.
This is where a complete lack of understanding of how motor oil works is lacking. Just dump some 16 or 20 and go. It's fine.

So I just bought a gas 2023 Corolla with the 2.0 as a commuter. Toyota calls for 0W-8 oil for this. I’m fairly certain they made a change within the last month or so from 0W-16. I do my own oil changes and sourcing OW-8 seems about impossible. The manual does say you can use 0W-16 but it must be changed to 0W-8 at the next change. My wife has a camry that calls for 0W-16 and I would like to use the same oil in both. I’m aware of the car care nuts videos stating that these dynsmic farce engines need the oil grades Toyota calls for, and I believe there are threads here disparaging his claims.

I’m all about giving my vehicles the best protection. Does the Corolla really need this pathetic water oil, or is it just for CAFE standards and to get .1 better MPG? I doubt they would have made a mechanical change mid-year that would necessitate the lighter grade, or would they? Should I go even heavier for both vehicles at 0W-20? At least then I’d have way more options.

Any comments would be appreciated.
You may wish to check what viscosity that engine is speced for in Australia / Europe. It may be speced for as high as 5W-30 in those regions. I believe HTHS is always a determining factor in long term engine wear (Just google HTHS wear graph).

Last edited:
Let's see what the owner's manual says:

Where's that 0W-8???

The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

View attachment 159211
View attachment 159213

'23s made up to Feb '23 have 0W16, all '23s after Mar '23 production call for 0W8

Use a 60 grade oil, after all, it will have the least wear as it will have the highest MOFT. Your engine will last considerably longer. Now if fuel economy is a concern you can use a 15W-40. But you will be giving up a considerable amount of engine life. This grade and any thinner grades are only CAFE related and should never be used unless you plan on selling you car before it gets to 50-60,000 miles. Using a 16 grade oil will only be a matter of time before your engine blows up.

Ali

If you are worried about warranty, go to dealer have them change it, go home dump it- leave filter and pour in any 20 or 30 weight you want problem solved.
Just maintain it w whatever 16 or 20 weight you want.
Would you do all of that?

Ok ok, I see the trend, soon we will see oils 0w4, 0w1, 0w0.5, and maybe 0w0 :)
Is it our future? Or EV will doom IC engines before that

Back