New 2023 Corolla and 0W-8 oil

The manual does say you can use 0W-16 but it must be changed to 0W-8 at the next change. My wife has a camry that calls for 0W-16 and I would like to use the same oil in both.
Just use 0W-16. If 0W-16 can go for a complete OCI, it can go for every OCI. That statement to change back to 0W-8 is driven by CAFE.

Let's see what the owner's manual says:

Where's that 0W-8???

The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

View attachment 159211
View attachment 159213
If you go and download the manual from Toyota, it will say 0w-8. My manual and oil tag in the engine bay call for it.

If I had a choice of listening to what a major manufacturer recommends, vs what people on this forum have shown as the REAL truth, I know who I'd listen to. It's all a conspiracy by big automotive and the Government to make more disposable cars once they are out of warranty. Honda is doing it by purposely diluting oil with fuel, Toyota is doing it with water based lubricants, all because of some stupid COFFEE requirements.

If I had a choice of listening to what a major manufacturer recommends, vs what people on this forum have shown as the REAL truth, I know who I'd listen to. It's all a conspiracy by big automotive and the Government to make more disposable cars once they are out of warranty. Honda is doing it by purposely diluting oil with fuel, Toyota is doing it with water based lubricants, all because of some stupid COFFEE requirements.
Wait until you see what Ford is up to! The big Transits have exploding transmissions & torque converters, leaking & oil burning engines, and small weak rear axles-junk by 100K…

You’ll be fine with 0w16. You can even run 0w20. There won’t be any problems.

Your Toyota doesn’t really need 0w8. It’s all about CAFE. But for warranty reasons, I would just stick to 0w8. A dealership will do anything to void your warranty, so just use the recommended 0w8 until your warranty expires. Your engine can run on any oil, but it will be fine with 0w8.

My son’s RAV 4 manual says Toyota won’t deny a warranty claim for lack of documentation, only for lack of maintenance. So an owner wouldn’t have to present oil purchase receipts showing an oil grade and a dealer would have no reasonable way to determine if an 8 or 16 was used. I suppose if Big Toyota was interested it could take a sample but that seems really unlikely.

My son’s RAV 4 manual says Toyota won’t deny a warranty claim for lack of documentation, only for lack of maintenance. So an owner wouldn’t have to present oil purchase receipts showing an oil grade and a dealer would have no reasonable way to determine if an 8 or 16 was used. I suppose if Big Toyota was interested it could take a sample but that seems really unlikely.

You have to be able to show you maintained it. Many many warranty claims have been denied for not being able to show required maintenances. It's the first thing manufacturers ask for

I work at a huge ford dealership, and I know we will do anything we possibly can to void the warranty, and I mean anything. It’s the truth. I’m not a technician or a “lube tech”, I don’t do any hands on repairs, but I know the truth because I work for the service department and I know everybody that works at service. I do not put out my real name or ever give out my location on the internet, or even on social media because some dealerships do spy on their employees’ social media accounts. I work at a dealership that does this. I’ve had one coworker get fired for “talking s**t”on the internet, and for telling people the “secrets”. It’s sad, but very real.

Enough ranting, I’ll get to the point.

I highly doubt any dealership would go through the trouble of finding if the right oil was used, but the best thing to do is just stick to the owners manual and use the “recommended oil” until the warranty is over. It may not be the best thing to do for your car’s reliability or longevity, but it is the best thing to do if you do want to actually take advantage of getting the repairs done that are covered under the warranty, if you actually do need it.

To be honest, I probably would use 0w20 or even 0w30 so I can sleep easier at night, I’m not gonna lie, but 0w8 or 0w16 should be more than adequate for a daily driven Corolla.

A good thing to do is just get all the services done at the dealership until the warranty is over. If anything goes wrong with the engine, there’s no if and or buts, the dealership will have to repair whatever that needs to be repaired (that’s covered under the warranty) no questions asked. There are certain cases where crazy questions will be asked, but that’s a whole different topic.

0w8 will work just fine for a daily driven Corolla. I really don’t think Toyota would recommend 0w8 knowing the engines will be toast right after the warranty expires, or won’t last at least 300k miles. That’s just not Toyota. Any oil will work, but I personally don’t really see a need to use a different viscosity. I’ve heard in Japan, Toyota has been using 0w8 for a long time, and they seem to be doing just fine. In the US, we do lots of highway driving compared to Japan, and highway driving is said to be much easier on oil than city driving. Japan does a lot of city driving. I don’t think the engine will just flat out wear out any quicker just because 0w8 was used. I know those engines can still go 300k miles with 0w8, especially if the OCI was reasonable like 5k miles max.

Just my 2 cents

I work at a huge ford dealership, and I know we will do anything we possibly can to void the warranty, and I mean anything. It’s the truth. I’m not a technician or a “lube tech”, I don’t do any hands on repairs, but I know the truth because I work for the service department and I know everybody that works at service. I do not put out my real name or ever give out my location on the internet, or even on social media because some dealerships do spy on their employees’ social media accounts. I work at a dealership that does this. I’ve had one coworker get fired for “talking s**t”on the internet, and for telling people the “secrets”. It’s sad, but very real.

Enough ranting, I’ll get to the point.

I highly doubt any dealership would go through the trouble of finding if the right oil was used, but the best thing to do is just stick to the owners manual and use the “recommended oil” until the warranty is over. It may not be the best thing to do for your car’s reliability or longevity, but it is the best thing to do if you do want to actually take advantage of getting the repairs done that are covered under the warranty, if you actually do need it.

To be honest, I probably would use 0w20 or even 0w30 so I can sleep easier at night, I’m not gonna lie, but 0w8 or 0w16 should be more than adequate for a daily driven Corolla.

A good thing to do is just get all the services done at the dealership until the warranty is over. If anything goes wrong with the engine, there’s no if and or buts, the dealership will have to repair whatever that needs to be repaired (that’s covered under the warranty) no questions asked. There are certain cases where crazy questions will be asked, but that’s a whole different topic.

0w8 will work just fine for a daily driven Corolla. I really don’t think Toyota would recommend 0w8 knowing the engines will be toast right after the warranty expires, or won’t last at least 300k miles. That’s just not Toyota. Any oil will work, but I personally don’t really see a need to use a different viscosity. I’ve heard in Japan, Toyota has been using 0w8 for a long time, and they seem to be doing just fine. In the US, we do lots of highway driving compared to Japan, and highway driving is said to be much easier on oil than city driving. Japan does a lot of city driving. I don’t think the engine will just flat out wear out any quicker just because 0w8 was used. I know those engines can still go 300k miles with 0w8, especially if the OCI was reasonable like 5k miles max.

Just my 2 cents
Don't dealerships MAKE money on warranty work? I realize not as much as regular service repairs but unless you're overwhelmed with non-warranty business, why would a dealer work to make a customer unhappy when the warranty cost is borne by the vehicle manufacturer?

Don't dealerships MAKE money on warranty work? I realize not as much as regular service repairs but unless you're overwhelmed with non-warranty business, why would a dealer work to make a customer unhappy when the warranty cost is borne by the vehicle manufacturer?

Dealerships don't approve or deny warranty claims. The manufacturer does. On large ticket items they require regional techs to inspect and any accompanying paperwork they request which may be everything from proof of maintenance to photos of the vehicle, to ECU uploads, etc

Back