New commute, adjust OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm moving closer to work and am wondering if I need to change my OCI.

Old drive: 30 miles each way, almost all freeway. About 5 miles of stop & go traffic.

New drive: About 5 miles each way, 3 miles on freeway, the rest on 50 mph streets.

I was doing 7K OCIs on my 1999 Civic EX. I'd like to keep it close to that, if possible. I'd also be doing a weekly 80 mile round trip (all freeway) to visit my parents if that helps at all.

Run some UOAs. Ill bet you are more than fine given the 80 mile trip. My mother does 5-block commutes, and we found that the non-severe service OCI was sufficient using a syn oil and given routine long trips on the weekend.

You are likely OK at 7K. 5K would be safer. Like JHZR2 said, if you drive the car regularly on longer trips to your parents, or maybe a trip up to Pt Reyes (I so miss that place!) or Bodega Bay, then you are still good. Your generally warm climate facilitates a rapid warmup. I think you'll be good at 7-7.5K still.

You might have to look into changing oil by time rather than mileage. Assuming you will end up driving around 200 miles a week then 5K/6months might be a good interval to follow.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been running synthetic and I picked up M1 HM for my next change since I've got 170K and it uses a little more than a quart in 7K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back