New CITRIX user

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took a new computer support job where I will be using CITRIX from my home PC to access a virtual PC at the office 5 days a week. I have DSL.

Would a faster PC at home make any difference?

I have a Win 7 PC with 8 GB and an SSD at home.

The network connection is the weakest link in the chain and a faster machine at home will not help since you are essentially only receiving "screen updates" via Citrix. All of the computing power is used on the other end which is shared in a Citrix farm (depending on how many are using the same application at the same time). I use Citrix from the US to Europe daily and it works **about the same** no matter what connection that I have--from a Verizon MiFi all the way up to a 155MBS MPLS connection.

In addition to what fx4 said, the company internet portal is often the bottleneck The citrix farm is probably fast, as is the networking to it, but the gateway to the internet is usually a constraining factor, especially if the network group has chosen not to QOS the citrix traffic and you compete with 2000 on site users try to check status on their 180 qts of $1 oil ordered from autozone.

Last edited:
I used to manage a Citrix farm a few years ago, when I took a hiatus from being a developer .

The two biggest factors are bandwidth, and the load-balancing on adequately sized (memory and CPU) servers.

The client (you) hardware is very secondary. You could, in theory, get the same performance from a tablet.

The performance of your machine won't matter at all. The network connection does to an extent. See if you can use a physical connection (not wifi). I'd prefer cable over dsl but you can wait and see on that.

If this is common for your employer the app server will be fast (since adding capacity is easy for them), it's just your connection to it that will affect performance.

Even a faster Internet connection on your end will only go so far. Citrix uses protocols that can handle slow connections pretty well.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
what is the definition of fast anyway?????????????????

My definition is when I am using a 3270 emulator and am browsing something on the mainframe and hit PF8 (page ahead) it does the page ahead as fast as I can hit PF8. It was that way in my last job when I was onsite not far from the actual mainframes (few hundred feet).

At my home I have DSL at the slowest speed that can still be called DSL. No cable in sight and those that do have cable can only get TV, no internet. No (almost no) cell service.

On the positive side I see the Berkshire mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back