new chrysler trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a nice upgrade forward moving.

I am still unclear car makers waste time with paddle shifters? I bet 98.5% drivers use it once (like myself) and think why bother. Or maybe it adds little to the engineering.

Sounds interesting for an automatic. I wonder how the gears are spaced? Isn't there a few restrictions for ratios when using a planetary system?
Also they don't mention rev matching for downshifts or how fast it shifts or how it handles say 3 quick taps to downshift for a tight corner.
I guess the good thing is that it shows Chrysler is commited to RWD for a while atleast.
Also I hope manufacturers do allow for their automatics to be controlled manually somehow. Slap stick or paddle shifter, nothing is more annoying than an automatic car that can't be held in 1st on an autocross course...

I'm trying to use the paddle shifters in my cruze more. I can acheive VASTLY higher city/combined MPG using it.

That transmission actually is starting to sound pretty good, and that interior.. I want.

I have never used my "manual mode" on my car in the first 10K miles/8 months of ownership. I probably would if it were paddle shifters. My manual mode in on the shifter console -- similar to the old Chrysler Autostick. Seems somewhat worthless unless you're starting out on a slippery slope.

More floppy paddles. Just what we needed.

I blame the Europeans. Their cars have fewer and fewer console mounted gear selectors.
Did an install on a Gallardo. No stick. A couple of buttons and floppy paddles
Before that, BMW did away with the console gear selector on the 7-series. Gave it this little "retardo-stub". It wasn't a real column gear selector. It was a leftover Mitsubishi cruise control
Mercedes Benz liked the "retardo-stub" so much that they adopted in in spite of the fact that the 7-ers went back to a console mounted selector
Jaguar has a knob which sometimes doesn't respond to anything you select. But in the knob's defense, you have to start the car and wait for the knob to rise. That idiot proofs those that push the starter button and immediately select a gear and begin to mash on the accelerator while the starter motor is still turning. why isn't it going???? something's wrong with the gas pedal

I actually think the Autostick was well executed...if a little slow to respond to inputs.

It solved the problem of which way is upshift and which way is downshift. (ie: my Mazda upshift is towards me, Hyundai it's away Mazda is like 1-2 on a manual. Hyundai is up for upshift-down for downshift)

In my Chrysler downshift is in the direction of 1st gear on a manual, upshift is in the direction of 4th. Makes sense to everybody

8spd Zf (ugh) in a Chrysler, extended warranty please!!!!

The ZF boxes in the Jags and Range Rovers are [censored].

I am all for flappy paddles if they actually do something. I loathe flappy paddles that you slam and it waits for a recital of the Gettysburg Address to shift. Had a rental Malibu in Florida last year that did this, if I had known I would have picked anything else.

I LOVE how Chrysler has the up on the right and down on left, that is how it should be. The stupid one up and one down on each side of the wheel requires too much brain power to operate.

Also if they are cool and want to be like Champ Car and insist on a console mounted manual shifter, it must be pull back for upshift and push forward for down shift.

That is a slick looking ride overall, I wish Ford would come out with a RWD sedan with a V8....

Originally Posted By: morris
so how long will it take to work out the bugs?

Already been in use for a few years in high HP applications. This is a newer design and can adapt for hybrids and everything.

It'll be a sweet gearbox. Longevity is a whole 'nother question!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

That is a slick looking ride overall, I wish Ford would come out with a RWD sedan with a V8....

Chrysles is definitely making some appealing cars these days, and they seem to be getting progressively better. They also seem to be able to make American feel/style work where the other MFG's are making their cars more european (or importing and rebadging).

I really like the new Chargers, the 8-speed makes me want to go test drive one again.

Yes, the new styling is way superior to the previous generation.

And the new engine line up is very impressive.

I really think the v6 with the 8 speed trans will be a winning combo of real world performance and economy.

Chrysler desperately needs a higher fuel economy offering in their lineup. Just one. Maybe this transmission will get them there once they figure out to build the motor.

I wish we had a Chrysler within reasonable driving distance to try one of these out. The Chrysler dealer in SB closed over a year ago. I really like the new ones, but I would be tar'd and feathered if I bought one working where I do.

8 speed automatic, Chrysler, and German Engineering.

Sounds like the recipe for a tranny that goes 5,000 to 10,000 miles before R&R.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I wish we had a Chrysler within reasonable driving distance to try one of these out. The Chrysler dealer in SB closed over a year ago. I really like the new ones, but I would be tar'd and feathered if I bought one working where I do.

Hahaha, that sounds true! Hope none of your co-workers is reading this forum!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hahaha, that sounds true! Hope none of your co-workers is reading this forum!

LOL they know I have tastes beyond FoMoCo. I have accused our sales guys of stealing clutch pedals and putting in P gears on cars that aren't manuals. Whenever a sales guy tries to sell me on a Fusion or Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 i remind them the engine is pointing the wrong way. BTW I know what I have in my car, but mine is AWD and a 6 speed and well a lot of other things that nothing we offer has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back